Pat Goss also likes the spring type hose clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Ed China likes worm clamps.

I did some Googling to find out where you might have seen that, but have been unable to turn up anything.

Can you tell me where Edd China says he prefers that style of hose clamp?

I like fuel injection hose clamps. I used them to replace a PS return hose recently. Much better than a worm clamp imo.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like fuel injection hose clamps. I used them to replace a PS return hose recently. Much better than a worm clamp imo.

yeah I agree. used them on my trucks coolant filter setup. They work great.

They must be payng him the most money. Pat Goss sold out a long time ago. I stopped watching years ago when his show became an infomercial.

While I do like the idea of the OEM-style spring hose clamps, I wasn't sold on the idea of continued use of my 20 year old factory installed ones when I replaced my radiator and hoses. Without any luck in finding direct replacements I went with Constant Tension Worm Gear Hose Clamps.

Pretty much like a larger version of fuel injection hose clamps with the smooth full metal band, but with a Belleville spring under the bolt head to maintain consistent tension no matter the temperature. Install them like a regular hose clamp plus the additional step for tightening to the torque spec to set the Belleville spring.

More info here: Ideal-Tridon Flex Gear Clamps

Originally Posted By: Brick B-Body

While I do like the idea of the OEM-style spring hose clamps, I wasn't sold on the idea of continued use of my 20 year old factory installed ones when I replaced my radiator and hoses. Without any luck in finding direct replacements I went with Constant Tension Worm Gear Hose Clamps.

Pretty much like a larger version of fuel injection hose clamps with the smooth full metal band, but with a Belleville spring under the bolt head to maintain consistent tension no matter the temperature. Install them like a regular hose clamp plus the additional step for tightening to the torque spec to set the Belleville spring.

You can get them at NAPA. Usually sold under marine or big rig lines, but you can almost always find the right size for auto radiator hoses.

That being said, I've never had a problem with old spring clamps, on more cars than I can count, unless they got bent/mangled trying to remove them.

Last edited:
Any Chrysler dealer can get spring clamps...they were OE for most of sixty years.

My friend's 1972 Satellite and his brother's 1976 Duster retain most of their OE spring clamps.

Originally Posted By: Brick B-Body

Too bad they don't have a rolled edge like FI types.

Goss is right in this case. There are some functional benefits of the spring type vs. the worm-drive type.

That's why I don't replace my OE spring clamps with worm drive clamps when I'm working on our cars.

They're a PITA to use without the proper tool. With the right tool, they're much easier/faster to use than worm drive clamps. Learned that one the hard way.

I've found over many mile the spring clamps weaken and start to leak. The real benefit to them is quick, consistent install for the manufacture.

What kind of cars have you seen this on? I'm asking because on my two Toyotas and the Hohda, I have never ever seen a leak due to the clamp.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've found over many mile the spring clamps weaken and start to leak. The real benefit to them is quick, consistent install for the manufacture.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What kind of cars have you seen this on? I'm asking because on my two Toyotas and the Hohda, I have never ever seen a leak due to the clamp.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

No leaks in my 13 year old VW with 210K miles either (at least at the time I sold it).

I've found that with age, spring clamps need to be positioned in exactly the same indents they were originally positioned on the hose otherwise you'll get leaks when pressurized up.

Originally Posted By: nobb
I've found that with age, spring clamps need to be positioned in exactly the same indents they were originally positioned on the hose otherwise you'll get leaks when pressurized up.

If that did happen...would replacing the clamp fix the problem, or would it warrant replacing the hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back