Torn Pro-Tec oil filter on Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this from a customer's 08 Pontiac G6 today. It came out exactly like this, did not ruffle the pleats with my fingers or anything. Big gaping hole in the media.

I couldn't quite make out the whole part number but figured I'd post this for others to know about/check.

The OLM was at 5% when changed, oil change previously done elsewhere as my shop doesn't use anything Pro-Tec.

Yikes!
sick.gif

Not good!

Are the endcaps on that thing plastic or is that just the photo?

Last edited:
Plastic end caps and eCore center tube I'd bet. Looks like the two pleats bent in opposite directions and something had to give.

Quote:
Plastic end caps and eCore center tube I'd bet. Looks like the two pleats bent in opposite directions and something had to give.

Flows good though!

Originally Posted By: Kansas_Ron
http://www.wixfilters.com/ProductsAutoOil.aspx

I would guess the oil change interval was considerably more than 3,000 miles/3 months.

Yes. Ha.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Yikes!
sick.gif

Not good!

Are the endcaps on that thing plastic or is that just the photo?

It's a cartridge type filter, I've never seen a non-plastic one to my knowledge.

I run ACDelco or Carquest in my wife's 2012 Equinox personally. The CQ ones come out slightly bent but otherwise no problems. ACDelcos are pretty straight after use.

On this customer's Pro-Tec filter, after taking the pics I attempted to tear the filter, the media was very brittle and I twisted the filter into two pieces with very little effort. Push the pleats at all nd it was tearing. Did not take pics after this because its irrelevant, and my gloves were covered in oil, and I had to get other stuff done
crazy.gif

A filter should be able to last well past whatever the OLM lets it run. I've never taken a filter off that had brittle media.

With my parents previous Mazda 3 cartridge filter, the only filter that didn't come out at least slightly wavy was the OEM Mazda filter. For my sisters 2012 Cruze I exclusively use ACDelco Hengst cartridges. I'm telling you, for these cartridge filters you really have to be careful. The height dimension can be just slightly off and result in a crushed filter, this results in wavy or torn elements.

WOW imagine that.. That was unheard of years ago with Wix...Oh wait! Now purolater and Wix are owned by the same company so that explains the tears

Take a jobber filter and run it to 5% on your OLM....

Not exactly the best decision ever made.

This is a tough filter application. I'd use the OEM only. Also I'd shorten up the OCI.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
WOW imagine that.. That was unheard of years ago with Wix...Oh wait! Now purolater and Wix are owned by the same company so that explains the tears

You always wanted Wix to be sold at Wal-Mart. Perhaps now they have cheapened them enough that you've got your wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back