Stick shifts everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent the past year or so in Asia and South America. I've ridden in dozens (hundreds?) of taxis and ubers, and all but one (uber driver with an auto Nissan in Lima, Peru) have had manual transmissions.

We think of the MT car as a dying breed, but the world is full of stick shifts!

You can't even count the number of MT Toyotas clogging the roads in Bangkok or Bogota. It is endless.

MT may be dead in the US, but it is alive and well in the rest of the world.

With so few MTs left at home, I was surprised to see how they still dominate everywhere else (new cars, not just old junkers).

Lots of simple, inexpensive, durable vehicles like Hi-Lux trucks that we can't buy or import to the US too.

Just interesting to see how different the product mix is, even in this age of "global platforms"...

Yep, I get it. We have what was legislated and mandated for us.

That said, breathing the air in some of these places sucks. Trade-offs...

It just development cost. with only 5-10% takers its not worth it.

Im a big MT fan, So is the wife (see Subaru below). It makes me cry now when I think about it ....

It's not just developmental cost--which is probably nil, as they either developed the trans for other markets, or they could split the cost between the markets (talking smaller cars that sell outside of the USA). It's the EPA cost to certify, as it's a different drivetrain. And then there is the cost to support another transmission choice in the supply and repair chain.

Laziness, pure and simple.

Auto manufacturers recognize this demand and supply us with auto transmission vehicles accordingly

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
It just development cost. with only 5-10% takers its not worth it.

Im a big MT fan, So is the wife (see Subaru below). It makes me cry now when I think about it ....

They are gaining popularity in EU too. Nothing wrong with automatics if they work properly. Friend have a SAAB 9.3 Estate with 1.9 (150hp) Fiat diesel and ZF six speed automatic with paddle shift. Same engine in Alfa GT manual that is lighter 70kg, and consumption is only 0.5L smaller on Alfa. There not much in straight line performance either.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Laziness, pure and simple.

Auto manufacturers recognize this demand and supply us with auto transmission vehicles accordingly

Not laziness, ATs perform well enough to satisfy most drivers these days. Why shift when there is no need to shift for no appreciable benefit except for the purists and aficionados who can detect the subtle differences in drive ability between the two platforms.

Purists?!

Most chassis don't deserve a manual. Cars are steering and driving pretty poorly these days. safety geometry kills steering feel?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Purists?!

Most chassis don't deserve a manual. Cars are steering and driving pretty poorly these days. safety geometry kills steering feel?

Completely untrue. Handling is better than ever. Chassis are stiffer, tires are wider and grippier and engineering is built into even the lowliest Toyota Yaris (which handles great). You don't know what you are talking about. Or perhaps you miss the awesome handling of your 1978 Granada.

Handling is often times confused with feel. Todays cars handle very well, but most simply feel numb.

As for the manual transmission and purists
crackmeup2.gif

I went to a Honda dealer recently and asked to see a stick Civic. The saleswoman told me that she had not heard that any were being built.

MT'S are junk. Why can't the small minority of enthusiast get it thru their thick skulls that not everyone wants to drive a cumbersome contraption. And no it has nothing to do with texting. That's the dumbest comment that is continuously mentioned in these threads.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I love driving stick, but also like a good auto. I've owned cars with poor versions of each.

Hear! Hear!

"Americans have better things to do than operate a clutch pedal and a gear shift while driving, such as texting"

Let's not exclude putting on makeup, drinking coffee and other beverages, smoking, eating everything including from a dinner plate with flat wear, finishing getting dressed, tying a tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back