Windows 10 installed, did not want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, woke up to a computer now running Windows 10. Didn't want it quite yet. My wife has two programs on the computer that will not work in 10. So before we do anything, what can I do to make it go back to Windows 7? I know I can Google it but thought I could get an quick response on here first if someone has first hand experience. Thanks.

Tried to go back to Windows 7 last night on wife's work computer, now it's blue-screening on bootup on CLASSPNP.SYS.

My new-to-me laptop informed me the other day that it was going to upgrade from Win7 to Win10. Since it's 5+ years old I'm rather dubious that it will run well. I already had to fix the registry so it would not automatically restart for updates, now this.

Originally Posted By: supton
My new-to-me laptop informed me the other day that it was going to upgrade from Win7 to Win10. Since it's 5+ years old I'm rather dubious that it will run well. I already had to fix the registry so it would not automatically restart for updates, now this.

I have a 8 year machine called T500 for the kids with 8gb ram and 64gb ssd.

I found installing Windows 7 to win10 speed was superior. I'd highly recommend win10 over win7 for older machines as code is more efficient on lessor machines. This is very opposite to m$.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
OK, woke up to a computer now running Windows 10. Didn't want it quite yet. My wife has two programs on the computer that will not work in 10. So before we do anything, what can I do to make it go back to Windows 7? I know I can Google it but thought I could get an quick response on here first if someone has first hand experience. Thanks.

This page lists options and troubleshooting for Windows 10, including reverting back to your old OS. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

You're going to need either the set of recovery disks or a install disk for a fresh install of Windows 7.

If you have any data you need recovered, you will need to install on a different hard drive or install that drive in another system to transfer it.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

I have a 8 year machine called T500 for the kids with 8gb ram and 64gb ssd.

I found installing Windows 7 to win10 speed was superior. I'd highly recommend win10 over win7 for older machines as code is more efficient on lessor machines. This is very opposite to m$.

My father is telling me it's the way to go too. I guess I'll let it do its thing. It's a $25 laptop so no big loss if I hate it. We have Win10 on a desktop, I prefer the interface on Win7 (mostly the Start menu) but it does seem to work "ok".

Mine installed Windows 10 against my wishes, too. I disabled windows 10 upgrade using whatever tool is out there for it ... come home from work one day and, suddenly, it's installing windows 10. Pretty crazy stuff!

I do like Windows 10 a bit better. I have a backup of the computer when I forst got it to which I could restore, but I'm okay with windows 10.

For some reason, I thought the free upgrades to Windows 10 were going to charge a monthly fee after 1 year or so - was glad to see that is not the case.

I can't answer your question, but the same thing happened to my HP desktop after me postponing the Windows 10 upgrade several times. My problem is that my 10 year old Lexmark printer won't support 10 (took 3 hours to determine that no fix is available) and I had to download new drivers for my Epson printer to work.

The whole thing took about 4 hours that I'll never get back. However, I was happy to find I could do a separate download of Windows Live so my email address book and folders survived.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You're going to need either the set of recovery disks or a install disk for a fresh install of Windows 7.

If you have any data you need recovered, you will need to install on a different hard drive or install that drive in another system to transfer it.

No. You have 30 days to roll back to Windows 7 once 10 installs.

OP: Go to Settings -> Updates and Recovery -> Recovery -> Go back to Windows 7

It will take a while, but revert your computer back to the way it was.

If you don't want 10 to bug you about being installed, please create the following two registry keys:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
Then: New DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade and set it to "1"

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
Then: New DWORD value: DisableGwx and set it to "1"

Thanks for all the info.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I can't answer your question, but the same thing happened to my HP desktop after me postponing the Windows 10 upgrade several times.

I'm sure it's going to happen to at least one of my Windows partitions yet, be it the one I use for legacy gaming at home (and I'm sure that will be a disaster) or at work.

Just installed W10 on my Nvidia nForce 680i SLI mother board that is 10 years old and running a Pentium Dual E2200. Runs great.

closing the upgrade window is considered giving microsoft permission to upgrade (according to microsoft)

I just cleaned up my buddies laptop. Win 10 installed itself in a system running Windows 8 and totally crashed it. I have a feeling he also had malware, I was able to boot it but it froze up and nothing worked. Long story short I wiped the HDD and did a clean install of Win 10, and a few programs. It is running great at the moment.

My father is telling me it's the way to go too. I guess I'll let it do its thing. It's a $25 laptop so no big loss if I hate it. We have Win10 on a desktop, I prefer the interface on Win7 (mostly the Start menu) but it does seem to work "ok".

supton;

Get Start Menu 8 from Iobit and it will give you a traditional Windows start menu. I install it on every system that I deal with that has Windows 10 and it works great. It provides those who prefer the traditional/classic Windows start menu the ability to get it back vs. the disaster(IMO) of the original Windows 8 and now the Windows 10 start menus.

Initially designed for Windows 8 this program now supports Windows 10. Free, safe, and super easy to install and configure. Give it a try...

http://www.iobit.com/en/iobitstartmenu8.php

get gwx control panel asap.its easy and self explanatory.
if you want to try 10 then image the hdd.so if the upgrade blows up in your face you can get back to your old system.
i see a lot of failed rollback attempts cross my bench.
some even overwrite user data!
and avoid iobit products.i have seen the ugly results of their past stuff.malware itself.
they may have changed recently but they are forever dead to me and other i.t professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back