75w90 to 75w85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change my '98 Tacoma 3.4L 4x4 manual from Redline 75w90 to 75w85 to help with cold shifting. MoleKule once recommended this to me. Should I also change the transfer case over to 75w85? I've heard that it's a good idea to keep them filled with the same oil just incase they have a little bleed through and end up sharing oil which makes sense. BUT would the transfer case also being filled with 75w85 help with cold shifting? This is on a short tripped daily driver.

T-case fluid won't have any effect on how the transmission shifts when cold. Still a good idea to change it if it's old, but don't expect an improvement in transmission shifting.

Redline MT-90 will shift smoother than the 75-85, I've used it in my Tacoma & Echo with great cold shifting. Especially with my tough downshift into 1st in cold weather

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Redline MT-90 will shift smoother than the 75-85, I've used it in my Tacoma & Echo with great cold shifting. Especially with my tough downshift into 1st in cold weather

Thanks! I should have been more specific though. I meant switch from Redline's MT-90 75w90 to MT-85 75w85.

I see. Haven't used the Redline MT-85. I've heard of a few people running a 50/50 mix of MT-90 & MTL with good results in really cold climates, but I've never tried it

Last edited:
It wouldn't be possible for your model Tacoma to "bleed through" just fyi. The output shaft on the trans has a seal on it and there is a void between trans and xfer that would take 2 or 3 quarts to fill before any of it got into the chain drive transfer case, and it would have to make it past the seal on the transfer also. Older Toyotas it could happen but not on your truck!

Did you see where he is/lives (even though he misspelled it)??
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

eek.gif

I don't know if that is a "joke" location or if he is serious.

If I had a Toyota in Antarctica, I would be using a 6 cSt 70W80 dedicated MTF and a 75W85 diffy fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
mehullica said:
eek.gif

It was a joke. I'm in Northern California near Tahoe.

Would MT85 be fine in my high mileage / short tripped / daily driver / 5speed manual? In an attempt to help with shifting during my early morning stop and go commute.

And if yes, should I change the the transfer case to the same thing or leave it' current fill of MT90.

Thanks in advance! And sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
mehullica said:
eek.gif

Would MT85 be fine in my high mileage / short tripped / daily driver / 5speed manual? In an attempt to help with shifting during my early morning stop and go commute.

And if yes, should I change the the transfer case to the same thing or leave it' current fill of MT90.

Thanks in advance! And sorry for any confusion.

I would keep the transfer case MT-90 and try the MT85 in the tranny.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

But I guess when all of the SoCals go up there for vacation/visits, they feel like they are in Antarctica, correct??
lol.gif

Yeah, North Cal on the beach is okay but near Tahoe is as cold as in Antarctica. Even So Cal inland (more than 20-30 from the beach) is too cold for outdoor activities from Nov till April.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back