garbage disposal switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting in a garbage disposal. electric switch will operate. I have been told I need a switch that you can hold down and it will stop when you release the switch. thoughts?

Kind of makes you wonder why they don't build a foot switch at the base of the sink cabinet that you can easily hit..

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Kind of makes you wonder why they don't build a foot switch at the base of the sink cabinet that you can easily hit..
I would think that that might be somewhat of a safety issue with some folks.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

I'll admit I've stuck my hand down into the garage disposal chute when something fell in (the switch was OFF, obviously), but I also don't live in a house with children.

Get a batch feed type disposer with a built in switch. It only activates when the plunger is held down versus a continuous feed type that's activated by an external switch.

HTH

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I've seen those switches but my town didn't require it when I built my house 14 years ago.

Homedepot sells them. http://www.homedepot.com/s/garbage+disposal+switch?NCNI-5

Check with your town to see what the code is.

Those are air operated on/off switches. The idea is that they can be used in wet areas like kitchen counter tops. I've never heard of using a momentary switch like the OP suggests.

They're called an air switch. Had one for 20 years - never failed. Made for installation on the sink - fits a standard hole like soap dispenser, etc. Great safety feature with wet hands. Easier, faster than reaching up to the wall. Push on, push off, not momentary.

Common feature on a sauna, Jacuzzi, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

Agreed. I would never feel comfortable having a foot switch.

If you're one of the ones pining for the old foot operated high beam switch maybe you'd think it were cool to have a foot operated disposer switch.

See how I bridged two threads there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back