Ford 2.7 Ecoboost F150 oil change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew just got a 2015 F150 xlt sport with the 2.7 ecoboost. We are having a hard time finding much info on people's experiences with this combo. He bought some Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 for the first couple oil changes (which are not done yet). He has close to 1000 km on it at the moment. Should the oil be changed early in these? What is a reasonable oil change interval for this engine after its had a couple shorter changes? Follow the iolm? Do these have a tendency to get fuel dilution from the direct injection like it's bigger brother 3.5?

Thanks in advance.

I recently picked up a 2016 with a 5.0. Lots more info on those then the new ecoboost. I'll be running the same oil but in 5w-20. And following the oil life monitor once it's broken in nicely.

I have a 2015 2.7 I bought last August and I changed the motor oil and filter at 1000 miles the oil came out black. The rear differential had only 1 qt in it so I drained and refilled the differential. I have only found Motorcraft oil filters for the engine and Rock auto has them at a fair price if they ship across the border. Watch this link then this one and you will be covered.

1. Careful of the drain plug it's easy to break. Make sure you press the tabs before attempting to remove. Do not try to torque after you seat as the tabs are easy to break.

2. UOA results are hard to come by but so far the few I've seen both fuel and iron numbers seem to be lower on the 2.7 EB than the 3.5 EB.

3. Motorcraft, Purulator Filter Cartridges are identical. Cheapest place I've found them is the Motorcraft Distributor for $5.05 USD. They seem to be extremely well made.

4. My IOLM is tracking on days instead of miles since I put on less than 8000 miles a year and averaging 22 mpg. The VIC is showing 24.3 mpg but it's optimistic.

5. I changed my factory fill at 2000 mi with Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W30 and will likely do it again in another 4000 mi. It will likely get changed to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 at 12,000 mi total.

Originally Posted By: advocate
My nephew just got a 2015 F150 xlt sport with the 2.7 ecoboost. We are having a hard time finding much info on people's experiences with this combo. He bought some Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 for the first couple oil changes (which are not done yet). He has close to 1000 km on it at the moment. Should the oil be changed early in these? What is a reasonable oil change interval for this engine after its had a couple shorter changes? Follow the iolm? Do these have a tendency to get fuel dilution from the direct injection like it's bigger brother 3.5?

Thanks in advance

I recently picked up a 2016 with a 5.0. Lots more info on those then the new ecoboost. I'll be running the same oil but in 5w-20. And following the oil life monitor once it's broken in nicely.

If it's under warranty just do what the manufacturer recommends in terms of oil type and OCI.
It can be bad news to change the factory fill oil early, as it might be a special brew.

There's nothing wrong with changing the oil (No need to change the filter before Max recommended) early if you are concerned about fuel dillution due to short tripping or too much time stuck in traffic. The best way to figure out if you have a fuel dillution issue to to do a UOA. More the 2% is bad news in the very long term.
If it does show more than 2%, move up one grade to an 0w30 (If the handbook and warranty terms allow that), OR reduce the OCI.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Sure is a different engine then what I'm used to with the composite pan and drain plug. Sounds like my nephew will do some early oil changes and try and settle into an interval that he is comfortable with.

First oil change done! That has to be the easiest oil change vehicle around! Pretty simple. And no mess. Everything went well with it! Hard to pay the dealer for an oil change when Ford made it this easy!

of course it came with an owners manual. It is a new vehicle. However it is a leftover 2015 meaning that it has been on the lots for about a year now... As per the owners manual it states to change the oil when the IOLM tells you to. up to 16000km and ONE YEAR. The truck has a fair amount of idle hours on it from transport and test drives and what not. the oil change monitor was most likely reset at some point as it started out at 100% when my nephew got the truck. The early oil change was for peace of mind due to the engine run time and the yearly oil change required by Ford.

A couple months ago we bought an F150 with the 2.7, my plans are to follow the IOLM. The truck currently has approx 3,500 mi. and runs like a top with more than enough power.

This truck will never tow anything as I have an F350 for those duties, but my wife drives it to work and we use it making deliveries several times a week, its miles are close to 80% highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back