torn, help me make an educated decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the market of an suv. I'm kind of stuck on toyotas, so that makes things easy there. The nobrainer was a land cruiser, but I can't take out a mortgage at this time. I'm down to 4runner and RX450h. Anyone having any experience with these? I'm torn because the fuel consumption is massively different. I love the runner, and it comes with all the plush toys of a fully loaded car and my kind of toys like a locker so on so on. The rx is loaded, naturally and get 30+mpg. And it's my wife's favorite, like the runner is mine.

TTThoughs?

One is truck based and the other is based on a car. What about a Highlander? The front of the 4runner is cringe worthy. The RX is a little better.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
One is truck based and the other is based on a car. What about a Highlander? The front of the 4runner is cringe worthy. The RX is a little better.

+1 4runner has a horrendous front end. The Lexus is a little better

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Is it your car or her car? If her car the answer is obvious.

Family car
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Like the front of the 4, rx not so much. To each eh?
Originally Posted By: Olas
Drive te Cherokee and save the money.

the Cherokee is a trail rig. I take it out to play and when there is snow (play) on the roads.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the rx450h is more like mid to high 20's

esp if you go 70+ on highway.

Based on what the stickers say.
Oh and highlander is no go as it (supposedly) uses more fuel and I get the rx cheaper.

How can you get a RX450h cheaper than a Highlander?

RX450h is $57k-$63k

You can get a Highlander XLE for $38k

$20,000 buys a lot of fuel

Easy answer is give her the Beretta to drive and it looks like you could crank up the Harley a little more and put her to some use

Originally Posted By: Rand
the rx450h is more like mid to high 20's

esp if you go 70+ on highway.

That makes no sense. I achieved 24mpg with 07 mdx doing 60-70mph on a highway trip. The guzzler is rated 15/20.

OP didn't mention new or used. If it's the family car (that's [censored], someone is the primary driver) and you've got a Jeep toy the choice is still obvious IMO. You really need lockers for the family hauler?

The off road capabilities are needed since she has absolutely 0 competence when it comes to snow. The ski trips would also benefit from the added capabilities. And the runner rides better than a 94 Deville, can't compare the jeep to it.
The both vehicles used as far as value depreciation goes,but are sub 20k miles.

The Beretta is getting scrapped, the is250 will claim the hoopty status. The Harley gets used every chance I get.

4runner drives like a truck, i didnt like it.. Much prefer the highlander.. Not sure how its more but go wirmth the 450 i guess

Originally Posted By: Olas
Drive te Cherokee and save the money.

Don't even consider a Cherokee.....these vehicles are poor on reliability..... and are 'garage queens'.

My choice would be the 4 Runner. Well built with Toyota reliability.

The Highlander is also a very good vehicle.

I would suspect the 4Runner would hold its value much better over the long run, if that's a concern.

I know you said family vehicle, but who will drive it the MOST? If your wife only has to drive it a couple times a week, is the 4Runner really that bad to drive? If this is a car for your wife to commute in daily, then I'd say get what she wants. But if she only has to drive it every now and then, get the vehicle that's going to be the most functional and useful for both of you. How bad is a 4Runner really? It's not like her other choice is a 1986 K20 Suburban...a modern 4Runner is pretty civilized. My cousin who is a new mom has a 2015 4Runner and loves it. Buying an expensive vehicle just to save on gas doesn't make sense to me, especially if a slightly cheaper alternative (the 4Runner) doesn't give up much in comfort and has a major capability advantage.

If you don't keep your vehicles for too much and long past warranty, RX will be the winner for your lady. If you run into repairs, a lot of under the hood jobs on RXxxxh are ~2.5 cost of regular RXxxx. Just get a quote on something like AC compressor replacement from your dealer, you'll see what I mean. The good thing though, those don't suck much money until about 180k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back