Understanding TSBs regarding oil (Yaris)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I posted on here a while ago regarding an oil recommendation for a 2000 Yaris with the 2NZ-FE engine and got some great information. (concluded to stick with 5w30 as stated in the handbook)

Since then, I've bought another Yaris, this time with the 1NZ-FE engine and noticed the oil recommendation in the handbook is 10w30.

Despite this, I came across a TSB (EG018-06) from Toyota which states ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20 or ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20 will perform better in the 1NZ-FE engine. However it says it only applies to 2006 - 2007 models and mine is a 2003.

So what should I go for? 0w20 seems like an extreme difference from the 10w30 that was originally put in it. Does the TSB only apply to newer models with the 1NZ-FE engine due to different materials used or ECU maps?

I'm paying attention to oils because I do a few track days per year and a mixture of highway and stop/start in the city.

Well I can tell you that I've used 0W-20 in my 1NZ-FE starting at around the 100,000 mile mark. It has been over 150,000 miles so far and no issues. For me it makes it much quieter in the winter and easier to start, but I live in a cold area. For you I don't think it would matter much.

Originally Posted By: geetar
Hi all,

I posted on here a while ago regarding an oil recommendation for a 2000 Yaris with the 2NZ-FE engine and got some great information. (concluded to stick with 5w30 as stated in the handbook)

Since then, I've bought another Yaris, this time with the 1NZ-FE engine and noticed the oil recommendation in the handbook is 10w30.

Despite this, I came across a TSB (EG018-06) from Toyota which states ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20 or ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20 will perform better in the 1NZ-FE engine. However it says it only applies to 2006 - 2007 models and mine is a 2003.

So what should I go for? 0w20 seems like an extreme difference from the 10w30 that was originally put in it. Does the TSB only apply to newer models with the 1NZ-FE engine due to different materials used or ECU maps?

I'm paying attention to oils because I do a few track days per year and a mixture of highway and stop/start in the city.

OK thanks for the advice.

I'm looking at Gulf Ultrasynth X 5W-20 which is ILSAC GF-5, would this be suitable as its rated higher than GF-4?

Don't even consider xw20, zero benefits only added risk. Despite what the xw20 fan boys claim the TSB is not applicable to your engine.

Personally , I'd stick with the 5w30 or 10w30 - just my
49.gif

If they didn't mention your engine in the TSB then don't use the 0W20. I'd use 5W30 in it.

Why isn't the TSB applicable?

The handbook wants a viscosity that is impossible to find other than from Toyota and the TSB isn't appropriate? Might end up just going for 5w30 even though its not appropriate for the temperature according to handbook.

Edit: The TSB is for my engine but not my year of manufacture. I think the engine was available at different times in different markets across different models.

Last edited:
It may be the same engine code but are all the parts the same? Does the newer model have additional nanny protection in the ECM yours doesn't?
Why didn't Toyota back spec to 2003? The exact reason not someones guess. Unless you can answer these questions I wouldn't second guess the TSB cutoff date but its your engine.

Run what ever helps you sleep better. That engine, like the Honda Fit 1.5l, runs on anything 0w-20 - 10w-30. Really! Those engines are made for the world market and run on a wide range of oil weights. You'll get 200-300k using good oil at the recommended change intervals.

Why isn't the TSB applicable?

The handbook wants a viscosity that is impossible to find other than from Toyota and the TSB isn't appropriate? Might end up just going for 5w30 even though its not appropriate for the temperature according to handbook.

Edit: The TSB is for my engine but not my year of manufacture. I think the engine was available at different times in different markets across different models.

How is 5w30 not apropriate for your temperatures?! My understanding is that it doesnt get too hot or that cold.. So unsure how 5w30 wouldnt work. Id bet 0w20/5w20 would work fine too. Think id go with 5w30 in your shoes.

You're in the UK, where xW-20 oils are as common as hen's teeth. Unless you want to buy online at premium or pay a ridiculous sum at a Jaguar dealer, that option's thick as mince.

Stick with a quality xW-30/xW-40 you can pick up at Halford's or CostCo and sleep well at night. I reckon that TSB probably does not apply to the EU anyway.

ACEA > API + ILSAC IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
You're in the UK, where xW-20 oils are as common as hen's teeth. Unless you want to buy online at premium or pay a ridiculous sum at a Jaguar dealer, that option's thick as mince.

Stick with a quality xW-30/xW-40 you can pick up at Halford's or CostCo and sleep well at night. I reckon that TSB probably does not apply to the EU anyway.

ACEA > API + ILSAC IMHO.

As Falcon said there's no ILSAC or Api standard in Europe, and manufacturers never recommended that for cars sold here. But you are in luck - ACEA sequence is actually better and more strict so you should put your interests towards those oils.
Any ACEA A5/B5 5w30 will perform better than ILSAC. Also cheap and available.
Any ACEA A3/B4 will perform better than ILSAC.

I'd use Helix Ultra 5w40, light 40 grade, high quality, and VERY affordable.

Edit;
Also it's one of most certified oils in the world and carry LL-01, not like some of the competitors
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
EPA / CAFE reqs don't go back to 2003, so the models are added in a need to do basis.

My 93 Aerostar was back spec'd to 5W20 from 5W30.

Here's the TSB.

It's pretty clear about the years and engines. It also looks very USA-centric to me, so not sure if it applies in the UK/Europe? This isn't stated but OEMs often have different TSBs and recalls in different regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back