New shoes on the Protege! Sumitomo HTR A/S P01's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's car had an a flat which could not be repaired so I was I was mulling over my options. 2 new tires or 4 new tires? (The Kumho X-Pert Kh20's on the car still had some miles left to go but I was leaning to replacing all rather than 2 new rears of a different thread pattern since the KH20's were a discontinued tire.) Merchant's Tire had 4 new Sumitomo P185/65/R14 in stock and w/their $100 off sale had these tires mounted/balanced OTD for $240. H-rated and a very nice HP thread pattern! Just a heads up to others considering tires. (Was considering waiting till DTD Memorial Day Sale but the benefits/price of a local sale...Plus had a new (much needed) Interstate Megatron battery installed for $94. Very pleased w/Merchant tire and purchase. Will see how these tires perform, but initial impressions are very good. Smooth ride, absorb bumps well and the car tracks/steers very precisely.

I always liked my old HTR200's, even down at the wear bars they still had good wet grip, and were reasonably quiet. I think they make great tires for the money.

those are ok tires
the new model are much improved
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29

The P02's were not available in the size I needed. For some reason, tires w/threads patterns such as P02's/Bridgestone Serenity etc., are not visual appealing to me. I wish Bridgestone would make the Potenza RE960 AS in a P185/65/r14. Now those were great tires!

Please follow up after 15k in winter and noise.

My initial experience with sumitomo brand was very positive however I removed them at 10k due to noise and terrible wet traction. My normal lifespan for tires is 40k-50k in performance all seasons.

Will do! This 1999 Mazda Protege has only 99K mi. Might take awhile. Will report back. H rating and a tire which doesn't have a high mileage rating are perfect for this car which doesn't see much yearly mileage. They'll dry rot before they wear out I think! I did take out for a spin on the highway today and they are smooth riding and track very well.

Having drove the car for a wk. (while my daughter is on vacation) I can say these tire are great in the wet. Superb handling, traction and comfortable ride. No regrets so far. We will see long term but this car does not rack up alot of miles, so I believe these will work out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back