Deteriorating quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it seem the norm these days with companies is to produce a quality product, gain a reputation for producing quality products, then either resting on their laurels, or purposely cutting corners to reduce the quality of the products? This doesn't seem to be restricted to only the auto industry either. We all know that companies like Honda and Toyota have done this to a certain extent. While they still produce decent vehicles, most people would agree their quality has dropped off some compared to the vehicles they've produced in the past. This also seems to be taking place in the restaurant sector as well. It used to be that IHOP had excellent food. Lately, I find their quality is just not there anymore. Their portions have shrank, and the quality of the food just isn't very good anymore. It seems to me like a company would want to avoid this as it takes a lot less time to destroy a good rep than it does to build it up. What is going on with all of this stuff?

simply, you just give them the 2-6 months (benefit of the bad day, everybody called in sick) check: if food or service is not good, change location/place/chain.
or carry a big cooler/car fridge with you
there are still plenty of honest mom and pop places (appearing and disappearing...)
since a lot of places/industries, does not respect the customers, i give them the same respect back by not patronizing them.

Seems like once famous stereo equipment companies are now putting their names on Chinese plastic boxes. Audio gear has come full circle. Once good gear was available on a college kid's budget, now the average change the wold type is suffering with lousy reproduction on "walk things". AR, KLH, Advent, Marantz, Carver...All gone.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For max profit many will cut corners.

Just like Bryers Ice Cream, once was delicious and now tastes terrible.

+1

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For max profit many will cut corners.

Just like Bryers Ice Cream, once was delicious and now tastes terrible.

If your product wears out quicker or is consumed faster, you can sell more. Almost nobody fixes anything anymore, they just chuck it.

How much extra would you be willing to pay them for the higher quality? Consumers want cheap, don't like to see prices increase but then complain about quality.

On another forum, people were saying that 5-8 years is a reasonable life expectancy for a TV set. I was blown away. I grew up with Sony CRT TVs that all lasted over 20 years. I still have a 27" Sony built in October 1993 in my master bedroom, still working fine.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How much extra would you be willing to pay them for the higher quality? Consumers want cheap, don't like to see prices increase but then complain about quality.

+1. the American public wants cheap that is until they need service or it fails in a few months. Wonder why Walmart is king, cheap foreign produced low quality for the American public that is only interested in how cheap we can get it!. Quality, service, who cares, that is until it stops working! Then we are the first to complain!

Definitely NOT imagining things about IHOP!

If you go back a decade their pancakes were very good, after all that IS the name on their restaurant, correct? I noticed in the past
7 years that the pancakes have become horrible, and this isn't only after one visit at one location but at a number of locations.
I believe that they are using ready made batter shipped to locations as opposed to having it made fresh on site....ALL visits recently the pancakes were heavy, and very dense, leaving a very dry feel in my mouth.
To be honest....HORRIBLE! They have barely been edible and now I will no longer patronize IHOP.

One of the funniest things I have seen on CNBC was when the IHOP CEO was on as a guest and the host asked her what her favorite on the menu was....the long silence was stunning, after what seemed like more than a minute someone must have coached her from behind the camera to mention a newer menu item that was being promoted, but you could clearly tell she never actually ate at IHOP!
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
smirk.gif
21.gif
33.gif

Regarding Breyers....when Unilever bought the ice cream maker they slowly destroyed the quality of the product to the point where most items they sell are not even recognizable as
the Breyers All Natural Ice Cream they made up until the early 2000s.

Prior to that date only all natural ingredients were used, no preservatives, gums, or chemical items. Just milk, cream, sugar, and things like ground vanilla beans, real chocolate,
ect....Today MOST of their products are a HORRIBLE chemical cocktail of "frozen dessert...with all sorts of additives like
tara gum, modified milk products, whey, guar gums, ect

Only a few REAL ICE CREAM PRODUCTS ARE LEFT like Vanilla, Chocolate, Mint Choc Chip, and Strawberry, HOWEVER unlike in the past even these items contain things like whey, and tara gum, ect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Wow. Another "Everything was better when kids still died of polio" thread.

The fumes from the leaded gas made everything seem alright
crackmeup2.gif

Its greed at every level including the consumer. Everyone want multiple TV's, cars with every option, every DIY want a tool box with everything a pro has, the list goes on and on.
Its the old wanting Champagne on a beer budget deal and the Chicoms are more than ready to give people something that looks like Champagne and sort of smells and taste like it on the cheap.
Sooner or later the swill becomes real Champagne in people mind.

Because of the Almighty Dollar.

Prices go up while quality & value don't.

Last edited:
What are you guys talking about?

You can get things for dirt cheap from Costco, Amazon, WalMart, etc.

Stuff you never ever needed before. Straight from China.

My smartphones range in price from $25-80, NOT subsidized. Grab a new case off Amazon for $4.99 shipped to my door.

They will ship something to me that costs more to ship than the product. I can cross-shop across thousands of stores online, bid for items on ebay, sell things on ebay and craigslist, etc. It is so easy! Heck you can find a wife on your smartphone and they're not Russian order brides, but people just like you.

New tech, same old people complaining.

My Golf Sportwagen was $18,425 (MSRP of $21,6xx). The 2005 Saturn Vue it replaced had a sticker of $19,xxx.
11 years of inflation and buying a German (yeah hecho in Mex, I know) car vs a plastic one... that's a pretty good step up in quality and not price. Oh yeah, its also faster/sportier, yet gets way better mpg. For less cost.

What were you [censored] about again? Your 1960s inefficient stove or something? Your rose lenses sure look nice, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back