Lawn Mower Transaxle Transmission Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am rebuilding a riding lawn mower transaxle that has sleeve bearings and am having trouble getting answers as to which lubricant I should use. Some have suggested Bentonite grease, John Deere Corn Head grease or any Multipurpose EP Grease NLGI#0. Even the dealer gives conflicting information. I understand the corn head grease in polyurea based and Bentonite is clay based. Is one of these better than the others for this application?

Yeah, prolly. But there are a LOT of old transaxles running corn head oil which is about the stickiest oil I have gotten into. It's not quite grease
laugh.gif

The MTD transmatic and Peerless units spec bentonite like said above.

Any decent thick and sticky grease should do the trick. They're pretty basic units. Regardless of what grease is in it, it's all about how the unit is used and stored. Clean and dry is the key.

I did call the Toro dealer--transaxle is made by MTD. Their service department looked up the transmission (part number 112-0368) on their website "any Joe can access" except they are allowed to see additional notes--not made public. Note says: "Transmission Lubricant-20 oz., multi-purpose EP grease, NLGI #0" . This is the same specs. as corn head grease found at the local John Deere dealer. I asked Toro to check with their mechanic and see what he recommended. He said to use Bentonite Grease--available from Jack's Small Engines or Russo Power Equipment.

My dilemma is-- do I use the Bentonite Grease @ $30 per quart or use corn head grease for about $8? Is the Bentonite going to outperform the corn head grease?

Is this an MTD transmatic where you have one lever for F-N-R and another lever for selecting ground speeds? Some have a spring loaded foot pedal for sort of a fake hydrostatic drive feel.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $8 a tube for grease for this trans, but then again, you've gone through more trouble than most would for one of these.

Guys that build, race, and romp these machines run any cheap auto grease or they split and seal the case and run gear oil in them

Yes that is the one. One lever for F-N-R, but no lever for selecting ground speed, just the spring loaded foot pedal that must have some sort of centrifugal pulley.

Thanks for your input. Looks like I will go to the John Deere Dealer and use the corn head grease that is less than $4 per tube. 20 oz. will do it.

Since I only got 200 hours out the original transmission maybe this will last longer, especially if the corn head grease is way stickier and flows that same as, or better than the bentonite.

Last edited:
I have considered using gear oil and putting in a drain and fill plug, but since there is no way to put an oil seal on the shaft that has the brake on it-- I suspect all the oil will run out, as others have had happen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What gear oil would you suggest. I have some Valvoline 140, and 85W-90.

I have considered tapping and inserting a grease zerk into the outer bearing sleeves, since these are at a point where little lubrication can get and then just shooting them with corn head grease at each oil change.

The outer bearing sleeves were nearly worn out after 200 hours and the inner are still like new.

Originally Posted By: LMNV
I have considered using gear oil and putting in a drain and fill plug, but since there is no way to put an oil seal on the shaft that has the brake on it-- I suspect all the oil will run out, as others have had happen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What gear oil would you suggest. I have some Valvoline 140, and 85W-90.

I have considered tapping and inserting a grease zerk into the outer bearing sleeves, since these are at a point where little lubrication can get and then just shooting them with corn head grease at each oil change.

The outer bearing sleeves were nearly worn out after 200 hours and the inner are still like new.
Some other race dudes just fill the case with a bottle or two of STP engine treatment. Stuff is thick, sticky, and filled with ZDDP

I friend of mine overhauled a Peerless transaxle in a light duty JD rider, he used Cornhead grease and its been several years and still working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back