What is the thinnest.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is thinner than both regular Platinum and Ultra Platinum. We're running the 5w30 in a 98 Tacoma and an 08 CX-9. Butt dyno says it's doing great. We'll have UOA's done at the end of the OCI's.

PP, PU, QSUD,and Havoline are all in the 9.9-10.1 range, which makes them all about the thinnest of the major synthetics. A tenth here or there is negligible and probably smaller than the PQIA analysis error

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Sorry, but I won't use a 'marine' oil in my simple Ford Focus.

It's not a marine lube. He just chose an unfortunate way to link it. It's an HDEO, and he chooses strange places from where to link it, including eastern European English Mobil sites. I'm not sure how he finds them, but it is a good oil, irrespective of the link.

Of course, it is a thick 5w-30, one of the thickest, obviously. If you want the thinnest, you're splitting hairs. Every ILSAC rated 5w-30 is almost identical, bumping at the lower HTHS limits of the grade. Almost every example you can grab will have an HTHS of between 2.9 and 3.1.

QSUD is the thinnest. It'll make your engine feel and sound like it's got transmission fluid in the sump.

If the bottle says 5W-30, the oil will act like it's a 0W-10.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If you want the thinnest, you're splitting hairs. Every ILSAC rated 5w-30 is almost identical, bumping at the lower HTHS limits of the grade. Almost every example you can grab will have an HTHS of between 2.9 and 3.1.

I'm with Garak, any ILSAC 5W-30 will be at the very thin end of the grade.

Kendall GT-1 full synthetic 5W-30 has a HTHS of 3.0 cP and a KV100 of 10.9 cSt. The Kendall 10W-30 has a HTHS of 3.1 cP and a KV100 of 10.4 cSt.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Oz Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 has a HTHS of 3.6 cP and a KV100 of 12.0 cSt.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
QSUD is the thinnest. It'll make your engine feel and sound like it's got transmission fluid in the sump.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

33.gif

Watch out or you'll be admonished to see a psychiatrist for that.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
33.gif

Let me guess ... you didn't know where to begin, so you decided to throw up that smiley and say the heck with it ... am I right ?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back