VOA Porsche Classic 20W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive flashpoint. I didn't even know that Porsche had their own oil - I'll bet they aren't giving it away.

I would have assumed Zn and Phosphorus would have been higher since the 20W50 is for the older 911s.

Low overall detergent package with Calcium and Boron at a combined 1869 ppm. The major synthetic oils typically run in the middle of the 2050-2800 ppm range. M1 is on the low end at 2040. Not saying that this can't work great for Porsche's 20w-50. It's just well outside the norm. Would sort have expected more detergents and more Phos/Zinc for a classic car oil. Porsche's 10w-60 classic is much higher at 2390 ppm Ca/Bo.

PQIA

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
There are new magic sauces other than ZDP. And you wont see them on a VOA/UOA.

Do share!

Agreed, Arco I'm all ears!

And you probably won't see them in a Porsche Classic 20w-50, either.
wink.gif
I have a feeling this is an oil that's an answer to the question no one asked, except the marketing department.

Originally Posted By: Garak

And you probably won't see them in a Porsche Classic 20w-50, either.
wink.gif
I have a feeling this is an oil that's an answer to the question no one asked, except the marketing department.

This is also around the same time Porsche decided to get into the vintage and classic restoration business with 100 dealerships adding on restoration facilities. Coincidence?

Exactly. I'm sure it's a fine oil, but I'm not sure what this product can accomplish that other 20w-50 examples cannot, particularly for garage queens that get their oil changed once a year with 500 or fewer miles of operation.

From the Porsche classic oil flyer

20W-50 for 356, 914 and early
911 models.
For all 356, 914 and 911 models
(up to the 2.7-litre G model),
Porsche recommends the multigrade
version with viscosity
20W-50

Originally Posted By: Garak
Exactly. I'm sure it's a fine oil, but I'm not sure what this product can accomplish that other 20w-50 examples cannot, particularly for garage queens that get their oil changed once a year with 500 or fewer miles of operation.

I agree with you a 100%, but you must agree it's a pretty cool looking oil container (and for somebody with a lot of money and who is looking to spend it…..)

porsche-classic-motoroil-003-11.jpg

Originally Posted By: SR5
I agree with you a 100%, but you must agree it's a pretty cool looking oil container (and for somebody with a lot of money and who is looking to spend it…..)

Oh yes, it does look good. I can't fault the marketing department. I'm just wondering what vanilla 20w-50 they chose to rebadge.
wink.gif

A Porsche mechanic friend of mine gave me a mostly empty can with a litre or so of oil left in it.
I'm using the oil in my 40 year old Briggs & Stratton lawnmower cut with some used but still serviceable Idemitsu 0W-20.

This low detergent "mild mineral oil" oil as Porsche describes it, is intended for old air cooled Porsches that have never been rebuilt in the past 40 years and could have some sludge build-up you don't want to aggressively remove.
These engines apparently don't require high ZDDP levels which most PCMOs of the '50s and '60s didn't contain.

They have a 10w60 synthetic also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Engine-Oil-Porsche-Classic-10W-60-Synthetic-1-Liter-/291858289606?hash=item43f41c13c6:g:NEMAAOSw0UdXwqoO&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
A Porsche mechanic friend of mine gave me a mostly empty can with a litre or so of oil left in it.
I'm using the oil in my 40 year old Briggs & Stratton lawnmower cut with some used but still serviceable Idemitsu 0W-20.

This low detergent "mild mineral oil" oil as Porsche describes it, is intended for old air cooled Porsches that have never been rebuilt in the past 40 years and could have some sludge build-up you don't want to aggressively remove.
These engines apparently don't require high ZDDP levels which most PCMOs of the '50s and '60s didn't contain.

Empty but with a liter? The can is of 1L.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Same here mate. I ran my old Briggs & Stratton mower on GTX 20W-50. Not as an impressive looking container as the Porsche 20W-50, but probably functionally very similar.

Hey !! have you tried filling up that Porsche container with GTX......wait ......that would be naughty

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
They have a 10w60 synthetic also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Engine-Oil-Porsche-Classic-10W-60-Synthetic-1-Liter-/291858289606?hash=item43f41c13c6:g:NEMAAOSw0UdXwqoO&vxp=mtr

Here is a link to the Porsche 10W60 VOA Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back