Gumout Q&A - Cleaning deposits from GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Quote:
Answers have been posted here: http://bobistheoilguy.com/gumout-cleaning-gdi-deposits/

Gumout Performance Additives would like to thank you for the great interaction you had with us in our prior Q&A sessions.

In a previous session, the focus was on gasoline direct injection (GDI) technology and related GDI performance issues – primarily the direct injectors themselves; however, this time we will focus on cleaning carbon deposits from the valves and ports of a GDI system which are more difficult to remedy.

While a GDI fuel delivery system can add power and increased fuel economy over many of the port injected systems, the intake valves and ports are now isolated from where the fuel is introduced to the combustion area of the engine. Now that the valves are no longer being sprayed with detergents (either in the fuel itself or in higher doses from fuel additives) by the port fuel injector, they begin to accumulate carbon build up through recirculated exhaust via the EGR/PCV valves.

Some solutions to these problems can only be conducted at a shop and by a certified tech. But there are now options for those with a bit more DIY expertise and they are much cheaper to perform. We discussed how to clean GDI injectors using Gumout fuel additives that contain polyetheramine (P.E.A.) in a previous session, but at that time we had not yet launched a product to clean the top end of the fuel system. That has changed; we now offer Gumout® Regane® Direct Injection Intake Valve & Port Cleaner aerosol spray. This professional strength, highly concentrated formula, utilizes the same potent PEA cleaning agent found in our Regane, All in One and Multi-System Tune up pour in fuel additives. This product is introduced via the air intake system and is a cost effective, easy to use solution for those troublesome GDI intake valve and port carbon deposits.

We’d like to open the topic up for discussion and share with you how this product can keep your GDI engines running smooth and any other GDI cleaning questions you may have.

Beginning today, the thread will be open for question submissions until 9 p.m. ET on Sunday May 22nd, at which time we will send them back to our full team of scientists, engineers and brand representatives to provide answers to as many of the questions as we can a few weeks later.

We are extremely excited to provide you with this service, but do have a few requests:

1. Please use this forum ONLY to submit questions. If you have previously posted questions on other areas of the site we will do our best to find them and provide answers, but your best bet is to repost the question in this thread.

2. Please understand that there will be some questions that we will not be able to answer. Some of our formulation information is proprietary, such as how much of a certain additive we put in our products, and can only provide feedback on our areas of expertise. Some testing information may also be proprietary but will offer up as much info as we can.

3. Please understand that we will not speculate on the products of our competitors, but we may be able provide you with ways to determine what they may have in their formulations. Not all fuel additives are created equal, so question claims and benefits and demand more information on what is in the product, what tests were used to determine efficacy and what were those results.

We look forward to your questions and thanks for your involvement!

Isn't better to put PEA additives in the engine oil to combate gdi intake valve deposits? Since fuel doesn't touch the back of the valve tulipes anymore, as in ported injection.

Is this something that is best used as a preventative measure such as every 12,000 miles from new? If it has not how often would you use the cleaner on an engine that has high mileage and has never had a cleaning?

Greetings Gumout folks.

Would an oil change be recommended following use of this product?
Here I am thinking of the possibility of carbon particles etc. being flushed into the engines oil.

I see the before/after picture on the product can.
Were other pictures demonstrating product effectiveness taken?
If so could these be shared?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this opportunity to ask questions!
Is there any possibility that discrete carbon particles will be dislodged by this treatment and end up damaging cylinder walls and/or elements of a turbocharger?

If something that is recommended for use in the engine oil (like some Gumout dual-use products are) has PEA in it, what is the potential that it will flash and make its way to cleaning the valves? Is there sufficient mechanical action just from PEA vapor and air movement to clean the valves? What would a typical flash rate/time be for a full in-oil treatment to fully come out of the oil through the PCV system, in a typical 5 quart sump with an oil temperature of approximately 100C?

If an aerosol is used, is it allowed in turbo engines? It was my understanding that the use of solvents to remove carbon deposits can result in small, hard bits impinging on turbo blades and vanes, causing damage.

Have you considered something like the old Marvel Mystery Oil reverse oiler to supply a continuous low dose of cleaner to prevent buildup in the first place?

I ran the CRC IVD throttle spray often but not whole can at a time. Its got PEA in it so it works awesome on non GDi engines too. If Gumout is going by same method and uses PEA then this stuff will work all. In that case,use it and buy the multi system cleaner and pour most into gas tank and save a bit for crankcase. I would add it cold to crankcase 500 mi before oci.If your use synthetic oil than you shouldn't need it as much or at all I would think. I love the Gumout all in one as it treats 35 gallons and has the most cleaners and additives. I use a bottle soon after oci and another at a spoonful or so occassionally throughout oci. Good on gumout to make a product.

GM recommends Chevron Techron because it has been a proven product. It also provides cleaning and a level of protection for fuel level senders. Does the Gumout product provide a proven level of injector/valve/cylinder cleaning and fuel sender cleaning as Techron?

Will this stuff hurt MAF sensors if it gets on the strip?

How about cleaning the intake of port injected engines.

I got some really bad gas once, had the throttle plate sticking and when I cleaned it the swill posing as gas had also coated the inside of the intake with gunk. I lost 2 mpg (and a fuel pump and pressure regulator) until got a sample of a experimental intake cleaner but then I lost the MAF. I do not know if the cleaner did it or it from from that liquid stuff posing as gas, and the company that gave me the sample was happy to trade the bad MAF for a new one.

I have a neglected truck I bought cheap with pretty impressive intake deposits and would like to try this on it.

Chevron did help, but it still has stuff.

Rod

Thank you for your questions. We'll post the answers as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back