PH3593a Orange Can O’ Delight @ 3.3k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Just taken off a 2001 CRV 2.0 liter a couple days ago. Initial fill was 1 quart of Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine 10w-40 and ~3.7 quarts of Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine 10w-30. Not sure of all the top-off because this is not my vehicle. I know I added a 15 ounce bottle of Smitty's oil treatment shortly before the end of this OCI.

Oil change done early because of a dipstick tube failure. I was wondering why it was going through so much oil. I hope the repair diminishes the oil use.

Date code:
2excaiv.jpg

I had the filter base down over a jar for a day, no oil drained.
I cut the filter and emptied it into a jar. Here is the oil. Not bad.
dylopz.jpg

Bypass valve leaf-spring impression:
o5c9xg.jpg

Media:
2vkj2n6.jpg

qotvr6.jpg

214ujr8.jpg

11sgj9v.jpg

2mrfdqw.jpg

ke9idg.jpg

As usual, no tears. I did an inspection with a light in the dark. Solid.

Good job Jay!

The owner has only had this vehicle since ~128k miles and it looks like the previous owner may have been extending the OCI a bit, so 4k OCI and FCI for a while I think is a good plan.

Looks to be in good shape. Made on the 127th day of 2014 per date code on the can.

Thanks probably to cut open and show on this site, mainly, they have become pretty good bugs ironed out filters now. One of the best economy filters the economy minded owner can buy. I'll spend the extra $2-5/year, can't take it with me. Oil filters, the only item a cheap skate can be called a big spender.

Was at WM, again, more switched filters, many. Even an ST in a Mopar box for my size. Man comes, looks up his filter, goes to the orange color blazing away, and takes his filter. Gets his oil and off he goes. He probably is the smart one, since I was still involved seeing all the switching. The orange paint does attract the eye first. Overall, I think they have been working on the quality of them. I have a suspicion Purolator chose the red paint for their budget filters to stand out with the orange paint. It's a good bright red, probably patented.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice looking example of an orange can. Thanks for the cut and post!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

A guy at work told me he has always used castrol synthetics and an OCOD, changing every 5,000 and he has never had an oil related engine failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice looking example of an orange can. Thanks for the cut and post!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

+2

Thank you for taking the time to do this cut and post.
smile.gif

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

^you are very welcome, my pleasure. I like to wick as much of the oil out of the media as possible with multiple rounds of Dollar Tree napkins so you can see the detail of the fibers and contaminants, etc
smile.gif

I totally agree with you Fram improved the quality of the orange can i would use the Fram over a purolater anytime these days. Fram is one filter company that is doing things right for the most part and any questions are answered unlike certain other filter companies. Also Jay is a member here and he has answered questions and he answered very honestly i respect him for that and he is one of the main reasons i use the ultra well him and zee0six lol.

The OCOD is my filter now days. I'd prefer Wix but not for more $. I wish it was easier to find deals on the OCOD but sales on those seem very rare.

I pick the Frams up at O'Reilly for cheap when they do those $5off coupon campaigns.

That Fram video makes sense on how composite end caps bond well. I have used the Ultra on many cars/trucks over the years - but as it built a good reputation the price has been sneaking up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back