Differential sealing: gasket vs rtv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be rebuilding the traclok in the mustang this year as as well as putting an Eaton posi in the truck. Probably have a shop do the position, actually.

Anyways, since both are clutch type LSD I'm thinking about a reusable gasket for the dif covers to make subsequent fluid or dif services that much easier. Do these tend to work pretty well, assuming bolts are torqued to spec with thread locker? Or are leaks common enough to warrant rtv?

A gasket if available makes servicing the unit as fun as servicing can be.

I prefer gasket or gasket with a lil bit of rtv on both sides of the gasket, zero problems. I have never used a reusable gasket

I went gasket and mag hytec with Adrain and dipstick.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I prefer gasket or gasket with a lil bit of rtv on both sides of the gasket, zero problems. I have never used a reusable gasket

Isn't Indian head shellac the the product for that job?

Originally Posted By: CT8
A gasket if available makes servicing the unit as fun as servicing can be.

Drain and fill plugs infinitely better.

I have been thinking of getting a Lube Locker gasket for my 8.8 equipped truck. They say they are reusable, but I don't know anyone who has used one.

I thought Ford used to have a reusable rubber gasket for the 8.8 in their performance parts catalog, but I can't find them now. It was probably over 10 years ago when I saw those.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
RTV and drill/weld a fitting to drain.

If it is something you plan on changing often (4x4 or boat tow rig that may have water infiltration) I would do that, but really, how often do people actually change their fluid? Most vehicles probably go a lifetime and never have a rear end fluid change.
Also, depending on the vehicle, you may have quite a bit left in the diff with just a drain plug. I know the 9.75 in my truck has at least 1 cup (if not more) of fluid in the bottom of the diff when I take the cover off, a drain plug would leave even more since it would not be at the very bottom of the cover.

I have always used RTV with no issues, just make sure the cover and housing are clean and dry before you start.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I have been thinking of getting a Lube Locker gasket for my 8.8 equipped truck. They say they are reusable, but I don't know anyone who has used one.

I thought Ford used to have a reusable rubber gasket for the 8.8 in their performance parts catalog, but I can't find them now. It was probably over 10 years ago when I saw those.

I have only seen the elastomeric gaskets on transmission pans. The FRPP diff covers I have ordered came with a gasket that was a thick rubbery paper style.

My Ram diffs have elastomeric gaskets, but I don't use them anymore after seeing how ineffective they are at keeping corrosion from working its way inward from the lip of the diff cover.

Gear oil RTV for me, and nothing else.

Using a gasket is a good idea, I think I'll get a bunch on my next RockAuto order. They are cheap anyways. I don't know why manufacturers cheap out on the drain plug. A 15 min drain/fill easily turns into a 2 hour job if RTV is involved.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I have only seen the elastomeric gaskets on transmission pans. The FRPP diff covers I have ordered came with a gasket that was a thick rubbery paper style.

I'm probably remembering it wrong...vague memory from a paper catalog about 12-13 years ago.

For the $25 or so, I will probably try a Lube Locker gasket next time and see how it does. I probably just need to go ahead and get a cover with a drain plug since the truck goes off road some (I wish more often).

Aftermarket covers up the odds of sealing with a gasket or sealer. I used G2 on an AAM860 (similar size) re useable gasket - and just dumped second time - held 3 qts Delvac Synthetic to the tattle tell plug level. Easy to drain/fill too ...
Only issue: The cap screws were about 3/16" short - so had to run to town ...

Bought a lubelocker gasket a couple years ago and haven't looked back.

Best $30 I ever spent.

Fill up the diff immediately, no waiting for RTV to cure.

The right stuff gasket maker by permatex is the only thing I'll use for making gaskets out of rtv.
It's never disappointed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back