How long can I go on dirty used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

I am trying something so cringe worthy most may want to look away from this thread. I am using nothing but dirty old oil in a truck engine. I'm curious as to how long I can keep this thing going. The engine itself is a 4.9L Inline 6 ford and its toast beyond repair. Time to have some fun. Anyone else using up their spent oil in this fashion? Any failures to report?

Been there done that! If you change the filter in reasonable intervals (5K miles or so) the thing will run indefinitely!

EDIT: 8000 Km. for our Canadian friends!

I don't like the idea, but I bet you'll get bored with the experiment before you destroy it. I suspect there are a lot of cars driving around that have never had their oil changed. I was on another car forum once where someone said they never did any maintenance on leased cars--just drove them two years and turned them in.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Yes, there was a viral pic/story of some idiot that drove his new Mercedes 60,000 miles to failure doing this.

There are couple. I've seen an Audi one with about the same mileage.

I've also seen a BMW tech post about a car going 50k without a change. It was still running apparently.

There is also the BITOG thread about the Lincoln LS that went 26k without a change.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=224649

Originally Posted By: Run
I am trying something so cringe worthy most may want to look away from this thread. I am using nothing but dirty old oil in a truck engine. I'm curious as to how long I can keep this thing going. The engine itself is a 4.9L Inline 6 ford and its toast beyond repair. Time to have some fun. Anyone else using up their spent oil in this fashion? Any failures to report?

Are you talking about the oil I gave you? :p

I'm almost out of your oil so I did an oil change on another truck just to keep supply on hand.

So what was the UOA on the oil you drained? If it was still in spec, why wouldn't the old Ford run another year or two on it...
laugh.gif

There is a LOT of 1/2 used oil out there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

There is a LOT of 1/2 used oil out there...

Yep. I use Mobil 2 whenever the opportunity arises. I have even used PYB-2 and SuperTech-2 in old beaters for the second half of the 10K filter change interval. Believe it or not, zero issues.

BTW the PYB-2 comes out of my Honda Odyssey with the OLM at 40 or 50%, so it not really "done" at that point.

On numerous occasions I have take my 5K synthetic used oil and put it in my daughters 99 Honda Accord. Car still runs great today although it does use a little oil.

Originally Posted By: Run
I'm almost out of your oil so I did an oil change on another truck just to keep supply on hand.

I have some Castrol Edge Black 5W-30 coming out tomorrow, want that?

I've been running used oil in my accord for about 35000 miles. Burns so much that it's always fresh.

I knew a WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC in the Army whos 2008 (bought 2014) 300 5.7L blew up in January due to him never changing the oil.
said "he didn't know it needed oil changed"

Said he bought it used with 85K on it and it is now totaled at 110K

25K on OCI, Chrysler/Dodge Dealership here that he bought it from uses Pennzoil Gold and LuberFiner E-cores on their USED cars.

I always dump my used oil into the lawnmowers, run it for a season, changing every Spring, Summer, and Fall. Ill store it with NEW oil in the winter.

The collection of Spring/Summer/Fall used car turned used mower oil is then placed in an surplus military outdoor diesel burn space heater that cost 5$ at auction to burn off and heat up the back patio area. I mix it 50% Used oil, 50% diesel inside a surplus military fuel can, and the lines supply it to the heater.. Burns longer than straight diesel.

Any left over from the previous season gets re-stored and gets the next years car waste oil added to it, and repeat.

Anyone have a back patio/porch, look for one of these, they can be found pretty cheap, as can surplus fuel cans.

US%20Army%20Tent%20heater%20WW2.jpg

I am not a hippie, but hey, it works.
Never had a car/mower/heater issue,
might as well get that little bit of warmth and the full money I spent out of the stuff. I hear walmarts are starting to convert to burn stored TLE from the year in their store heating system. How much that is true, I don't know.

Last edited:
That Ford engine is one of the toughest to kill anyway, as long as there is oil of some type in there.

my old 300-6 has 300k km's and the engine is great. Burns no oil in the 5000km oci. doesn't skip a beat. The rest of the truck is pooched though.

Let me get this right. The engine is still running. And has for some many thousands of miles. And it is toast. And you run used or so called dirty oil in it? And it keeps on going. So why do you think it is worth killing? Maybe it will go another 100k or so on good oil? Just wondering

Everyone knows the oil of choice for a 300-6 is used M1 out of the race car. 400,000 miles or so if you replace the oil pump (they seem to be the weak link on the 300).

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Let me get this right. The engine is still running. And has for some many thousands of miles. And it is toast. And you run used or so called dirty oil in it? And it keeps on going. So why do you think it is worth killing? Maybe it will go another 100k or so on good oil? Just wondering

Run has told me before that this truck at his work burns about .5-1 quart of oil a day at his work depending on amount of work it gets. How would you have that much money to throw at "good oil?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back