Is ATE Super Blue Available in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for our fellow BITOG members up North in Canada. Is ATE Super Blue brake fluid still available in Canada? It occurred to me recently when reading about other automotive products that are primarily available in Canada, but not in the USA, that perhaps Super Blue can be purchased in Canada.

If yes, what retailers carry it in Canada?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Are you talking about this? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/amber-brake-fluid-dot4-dotamber

No. ATE makes a version of the same brake fluid as Type 200, but it is dyed blue. thus it is called Super Blue. It makes it super easy to see when the fresh brake fluid is coming through when bleeding brakes.

I'm pretty sure that ATE still offers Super Blue in other parts of the world. They pulled it in the USA because DOT told them they could no longer sell it here, because it doesn't comply with DOT. DOT specifically describes brake fluid as being clear or amber in color.

Canada and Mexico regulations closely follow DOT, but I didn't know if ATE was required to pull Super Blue in all of North America, or only the USA. They no longer show Super Blue on their North American website. But I was hoping.

OK I saw some of the old stuff on Ebay, but the sellers want way too much for it. Good luck on finding it!

You can always use clear hose on the bleeders to a container to get the fluid running clear. It took right at two quarts to get all eight of my bleeders running clear. My Volvo has a dual circuit brake system, so it uses a lot of fluid.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
OK I saw some of the old stuff on Ebay, but the sellers want way too much for it. Good luck on finding it!

You can always use clear hose on the bleeders to a container to get the fluid running clear. It took right at two quarts to get all eight of my bleeders running clear. My Volvo has a dual circuit brake system, so it uses a lot of fluid.

I see no reason to pay anything over what the standard ATE Type 200 costs. It's literally the same fluid with blue dye.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I see no reason to pay anything over what the standard ATE Type 200 costs. It's literally the same fluid with blue dye.

I agree. Not worth the cost or effort.

I first used SB in '93. Even if it hadn't been pulled, I never liked how it either stained things, or even the slightest remnants contaminated fresh amber fluid in the reservoir.

Any benefit to the color change thing is wildly overblown.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

Yeah, but if you're in a "meet" with tricked out Civics with modz like misaligned side skirts and bumpers, huge wings and [censored] cannons, a blue brake fluid makes your ride really stand out.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: dparm

I agree. Not worth the cost or effort.

I first used SB in '93. Even if it hadn't been pulled, I never liked how it either stained things, or even the slightest remnants contaminated fresh amber fluid in the reservoir.

I guess that's a matter of personal experience and opinion.

While I haven't personally used Super Blue, I have a good friend that used to use it regularly. He had a Viper that he would track race regularly. Typical with racers, he changed the brake fluid after every track day. He would alternate between Super Blue and 200. According to him, the color difference made it super easy to see the fluid change. No need to let excessive clean fluid flow, just to be sure. He was always sure when the new brake fluid made it through.

I could care less what others think of the color of brake fluid in my car. But I'd love to have the convenience.

It seems there is a huge opportunity here for someone with a chemistry background to create a blue dye that can be mixed with brake fluid. Probably best to not explicitly state that it's to be mixed with brake fluid but is a general purpose dye for various needs.

DOT can't stop that!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
It seems there is a huge opportunity here for someone with a chemistry background to create a blue dye that can be mixed with brake fluid. Probably best to not explicitly state that it's to be mixed with brake fluid but is a general purpose dye for various needs.

DOT can't stop that!

There already is! Otherwise, they couldn't have ever made Super Blue in the first place
48.gif

When SB was first banned, there were a couple threads on blue dye you could use, but it's quite pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back