Berkshire Hog Slaughter - What Cuts to Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, going to have a whole Berkshire hog (~ 250#) slaughtered in the next month. Any recommendations for how to have it butchered? Eating organs and head is on the list, natch. Any special must-have parts to recommend? And which parts are really just best to toss, i.e., lungs, etc.?

I'd smoke cook the shoulders and make chopped barbecue , you can freeze that for later use. Bacon from the belly. I would be neat to build a couple of salt sugar boxes and cure the hams for sliced country ham. Ribs of course slow cooked and smoked.
Brains are good with scrambled eggs, but only fresh.

Probably no brains with this one as other plan this time is to cook whole head for cheek meat, etc. which will overcook the brain. May cut out tongue & cook separately (pickled?).

It will be at a USDA slaughterhouse. Hopefully the heart, liver, spleen, & kidneys will be available after inspection.

Lots of plans for the skin & all the caul, leaf, & back fat. What's the best way to process the skin so it will be most edible?

Will keep the trotters, ears (crispy pig ear salad!), hocks into osso buco steaks - yum.
Not sure how to use the neck bones.

Not sure yet what will be provided as not frozen.

Chitlins? Not sure how to make them.
Blood? Seems like a waste to not use it but not sure how!
Balls? Pretty much the only thing that I won't eat in addition to uterus.
Not sure what to do with the stomach or bladder either.

The people who slaughter it for you can steer you in the right direction. You can eat every part of a hog except the squeal.

They do offer smoked cuts which was the reason the farmer wanted to go with this processor. So, will try some of their bacon (also want pork belly though as my 4 year old loves it) & see what sausages they offer.

Blood pudding. Don't know anything about how to make it. I remember it as a small child at fall butchering. Cracklins. The fat cut into small squares and rendered in a cast iron pot for the lard. Sweet breads from goats. No idea what they were. Tasty.

Memories from my childhood.

That's awesome benjamming. My father used to tell me of using the entire hog during slaughtering when he grew up in Europe. I'm partial to Chicharrones and would like to learn how to make those.

We just did a whole pig roast 2 weeks ago, but didn't have the opportunity to experiment with all the parts that you will. Enjoy!!!

Burning hair/skin scraping:
IMG_1195a_zps9lag2rlt.jpg

I've read "There are three ways of cleaning a pig of the bristles: skinning, burning or scald & scrape. The first is faster if you’re just doing one pig and don’t have the specialized equipment. The second works but is my least favorite. Scald and scrape is the best method if you have the time, hot water and equipment. This last method preserves the skin on the pig so that it protects the meat, you keep more of the fat, the bristles are recoverable and you can then make pork rinds, chicharones, jelly or leather. Scald and scrape is rather essential if you plan to do a pig roast." from Nose to Tail

Here's the recipe that we'll probably use for the chicharrones. How To Make Pork Cracklings aka Pork Rinds aka Chicharrones

I also found this site which has a pretty good write-up & some videos. Buying a Whole Pig 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back