Unknown fluid/miles, 249K 00 Pontiac WS6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fluid was replaced at time of sample. Picked this car up a month ago and changed the fluids to get a baseline.

Make/Model: GM Differential (Rear)
Vehicle: 2000 Pontiac Trans-Am WS6

Code:

OIL Unknown

MILES IN USE Unknown

MILES ON UNIT 249K

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/22/16

MAKE UP OIL 0

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 294

COPPER 3

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 1

NICKEL 12

MANGANESE 3

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 5

SILICON 58

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 24

MAGNESIUM 4

PHOSPHORUS 449

ZINC 16

BARIUM 0

SUS @ 210F 79.5

Visc @ 100C 15.4

Flashpoint 435

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

Oil Analysis Comments:
This sample shows a little extra nickel and silicon compared to universal averages but other metals are fine. Nickel may just be an alloy with steel, though iron isn't out of line at all, and silicon is likely just sealer material; it's fine. Looks pretty good from what we can see here! Try 40K miles or so.

I believe it has been changed at least once in its life. My rationale for this is typically most of the wear happens in the first 5-10K of an axle's life. For example, (granted it is a truck and a different OEM), but my 2010 FX4 had 429ppm of Fe at 13K, but at 70K it was 148ppm of Fe, and at 150K it was 120ppm of Fe. As you can see the ppm of Fe was the most early on and then decreased on a ppm per mile basis after that. At 250K, I would expect your Fe to be much higher than 294.

Iron seems high to me. It's the 2nd highest number. Not a very strong add package if you ask me. Nothing other than phosphorus. There are ATF's that have a better add pack.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Iron seems high to me.
It is not high, in many ways it seems low for 250K miles or at the very least the OP has an excellent wearing axle on his hands if this is the original rear axle oil.

Wondering how a fluid with unknown history can provide a baseline? How will you interpret this against a future UOA of known history?
Not dissing you, just curious.

Seems like with a 250K car you just change the diff fluid and forget about it..

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Wondering how a fluid with unknown history can provide a baseline? How will you interpret this against a future UOA of known history?
Not dissing you, just curious.

Seems like with a 250K car you just change the diff fluid and forget about it..

The only way to get a baseline is to do a VOA on the replacement fluid and sample fluid every 20k to see trending.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back