Thinking of trading in the Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Thinking of downsizing to a more fuel efficient car due to our commute. Me and my wife both work in DC and we average about 80 miles roundtrip just to and from work, 400 miles total in 5 days.

We are thinking of trading the FXT in my sig. for a used 2015 VW Golf TDI S w/ DSG with 6,100 miles on it. Just checked with MD DMV and there won't be any problem registering the car even with the Dieselgate scandal.

Did my calculations and if we decide to trade the FXT in for the VW, we are saving about $180 per month if we finance the car at 3% APR (I am using 3% as my baseline because the vehicle is used) for 4 yrs (The remaining time on our current loan).

We had the FXT appraised at Carmax and they valued it at $21,500. We currently owe around $22,000. The vehicle currently has 42,000 miles.

The VW is priced at $20,114 OTD.

I am going to see what the dealer will offer me on trade in and also try to bring down the price to $19K OTD.

What do you guys think? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks to all in advance.

Sounds like you've done your research. I'd compare insurance rates and routine maintenance costs as well since it appears you drive "severe service"(D.C. traffic). A TDi is the only VW I would consider.

I would look for a lower priced TDI. That one is pretty new, but cant you get a brand new base model for that price? I bet dealers are dying to unload new ones.

That and going 1-3 years further back with lower mileage would save a significant amount.

EDIT: oh, you cant even price a brand new one on VWs site, but dealers must have them. I swear the Jetta TDI based at like 20k. Granted you may not want "base" for your daily driver.

Last edited:
Wemay,

The savings figure I wrote already takes into account the gas savings, insurance (3 bucks a month more for the VW), maintenace cost per yr. and the slight decrease in monthly payments.

Originally Posted By: onemig
Wemay,

The savings figure I wrote already takes into account the gas savings, insurance (3 bucks a month more for the VW), maintenace cost per yr. and the slight decrease in monthly payments.

In that case, it would be a definate "GO" for me.
thumbsup2.gif

Don't do it. The cost of repairs will FAR outweigh any fuel savings. It would probably be cheaper to drive a V8 truck than a VW. My aunt has a 2013 VW Beetle TDI, 43k miles. It's had about $5,000 worth of work already. I'll list it all below.

-Window regulators adjusted and tightened, window came off track
-Ambient air temperature sensor replaced
-A/C head control module replaced (dealer trying to figure out A/C issues)
-A/C compressor replaced
-A/C evaporator flushed with cleaner for nasty smell
-Battery replaced at 18 months old ($200)
-Center console replaced, defective latch and major rattling
-Instrument cluster on top of dash replaced, gauge wasn't working right
-Alternator pulley replaced
-Sway bar links replaced, subframe had to be removed to do them

My 2004 VW Beetle TDI (previously hers) was no better at all.

Just keep the Subaru. Can you guys carpool?

HemiHawk,

Brand new Golf TDI S (S denotes base model) with DSG(auto) is priced around $23K-$24K. Golf TSI S is cheaper brand new, at around $21K-$22K. So to me, I am getting a car that is barely used that gets awesome mileage for the price of a TSI. That is just how I see it.

A 2013-2014 TDI costs around $15K before OTD and would have around 40K-60K miles on it. Does not seem like a good deal to me.

I may be wrong but from how I understood what I read, VW dealers are not allowed to sell brand new or CPO TDIs'. The loop hole is they can be sold used but not as a CPO.

We are only looking for base model Golf or Jetta SportWagen TDI.

KrisZ,

I figured, the TDI I am looking at is priced right around a base TSI and the TDI only has 6K miles on it. That is the reason I am very interested in it.

Nick1994,

Yeah, been reading your troubles with your VW. Definitely keeping them in mind.

Yes we carpool. The FXT takes premium and where I live, diesel is the cheapest fuel.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Another very good option IMO would be the 1.8TSI version.
Those 1.8TSI engines return very good fuel economy and so far seem to be reliable.

and with some looking they may be in the $17k-18k range.. brand new

I just put the TSI out there, there is nothing wrong with the TDI, especially for the mileage you're going to accumulate.

My FIL has a 2011 or 2012 Jetta TDI with about 75-80k miles and so far it has had zero problems. He bought it used with no maintenance records and I'm not sure if it even had the DSG serviced yet. It my be a ticking time bomb, as he does zero maintenance beside oil changes, but according to some here, it should be ready for the scrap yard, yet it's been flawless so far.

Last edited:
I had my 97 Camry and started driving the 04 TDI, $5,000 a year in repairs to save $685 a year in fuel.

Also, expensive DSG fluid changes and timing belts. Yuck.

Yeah, plus who knows how VW will handle TDI buybacks or fixes? I doubt you get $5k from them when you buy a TDI after the scandal was known.

TSI S (manual gets better hwy, but 6at is okay if you have traffic) for $17k and you will get mid 30s mpg (not near 50, though, like a newer TDI)... but less maintenance plus a few grand off purchase price should make up for that. See how those numbers play out.

Also, budget 1.99% APR through PenFed.

BUT... purely for economical commuting... https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/659361069/overview/

How does a Prius Two Eco budget in? Very low maintenance as well...

cheap Golfs:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/665798245/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668389641/overview/

or (my car w/ different int. color) http://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/vehicle...-va-id-13174862

You get some cheap pricing out that way!

Last edited:
Nick1994,

This is the reason I like having somebody elses opninion. Did not know about tje engine having timing belt. That definitely is a consideration. Although I do all maitenance work ok our vehicles, not having to mess around with that is a factor in considering the Golf. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: onemig
Nick1994,

This is the reason I like having somebody elses opninion. Did not know about tje engine having timing belt. That definitely is a consideration. Although I do all maitenance work ok our vehicles, not having to mess around with that is a factor in considering the Golf. Thanks!

1.8 TSI has a chain
laugh.gif

and are PZEV rated, so you get 150k emissions warranty if you purchase and live in a CA emission state...

surfstar,

Just checked the Prius Two Eco, yeah... Me and my wife definitely don't like how most hybrids look.

Thanks for the links.

The Mk7 is an amazing platform. Punches above its weight class. I just bought one (GTI gasser)

The Timing belt service interval is every 130k miles. So every 6 years for your driving.

DSG service is ~$650 at the dealer, DIY is around $200. Needed every 40k miles. So for your driving that's every 2 years.

And for what it's worth my biggest POS car that I ever owned was my Subaru Legacy GT (just the injectors, CV joints, interior electronics, window switches, interior trim, ECU failure, terrible fuel economy, clutch throw out bearing which also took out the transmission case, and wheel bearings). Does that mean all Subarus are junk? Not at all. I was one of the lucky ones and didn't have total turbo failure which tended to take out the engine with it as collateral damage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back