One of the things I love about small town life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was heading home today and saw this:

Yes, that's a girl on horseback, riding on the sidewalk in front of the courthouse!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Was heading home today and saw this:

Yes, that's a girl on horseback, riding on the sidewalk in front of the courthouse!
Those kind of things make life worth living! Seeing some one on a horse puts things in proper perspective.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is only 1 car about 400-500 feet ahead of you and nobody anywhere. Is this a ghost town ?

Population 12,500 ish. While it's the main east/west road, This is the western edge of town. another 1/2 mile and it turns into a county highway.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Those kind of things make life worth living! Seeing some one on a horse puts things in proper perspective.

Indeed it does!

I had this go in front of my house today.. small town maybe 25000.

2016-05-11%2014.45.50.jpg

anyone know what that is?

I love small towns period. Live off and on in them for over 20 years and will have a hard time going back to a city.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Looks like a pimp-mobile Durango to me LOL

We get horses around this town all the time, they sometimes cross over the river, using the pedestrian path on the rail or road bridges, up the main street, and even along SH1, the main highway that runs the length on New Zealand.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is only 1 car about 400-500 feet ahead of you and nobody anywhere. Is this a ghost town ?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Around here you'd have to go out at about 0400 to find that. Even then odds are you'd never see it and have to deal with drunken drivers at that hour.

Boone is a nice town. That's one of the things that so many people don't get to experience is the slower, relaxed pace of small town or rural life.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Thought maybe it was Newton but Google Earth finds Mame Eisenhower Ave in Boone. Gotta love small town America!

Both courthouses are built from Bedford limestone and have similar architecture, but the Jasper County courthouse in Newton has angle parking on all 4 sides. The Boone County courthouse was also built a few years after Jasper County's courthouse.

Iowans sure love their horses and beating the p*@@ out of the Pontiac Grand Prix. Low slung chalk covered Grand Prix flying down gravel roads at 70mph is quiye common.

Nice people though when they arent trying to get themselves killed.

So flat! You don't see towns in the Northeast with long, straight, flat stretches of road like that, and look at the grid map!
Screenshot%20from%202016-05-12%2008-02-43_zpsq2yvscgm.png

Last edited:

Where's the dividing line for "small" town? City is what, 100k and up?

I spent my formative years in a relatively large town for the area--about 1,600 persons. One of my classmates lived on the edge of the school district and had I think a 30 mile drive to get to high school.

Today I live in a town of about 1,800, and the surrounding towns are 5k and under.

Haven't seen moose or bear yet but they are in the area. I did see a bobcat cross my yard just recently. Watched a hawk swoop down for our beagle once (no idea, it's not a small beagle). Spring/fall we often hear the loon on the lake.

Looks like downtown Boone, Ia.

I love the open stretch of road in small towns. Even Des Moines is getting congested now. Lots more traffic and cars every day.

Looks like it could be a water filtration skid. I used to build lots of them, but this one, whatever it is, is different than the ones I used to build. The little red blobs in the lower part of the piping look like the Bray (a brand) valves I used to install.

Second guess would be part of a chemical processing plant.

Nice! I live in a town of about the same size in eastern SD. I could never live in a large city.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Iowans sure love their horses and beating the p*@@ out of the Pontiac Grand Prix. Low slung chalk covered Grand Prix flying down gravel roads at 70mph is quiye common.

Nice people though when they arent trying to get themselves killed.

LOL, theres some truth to that!

I know a farmer who used his '95 or '96 Grand Prix as his work truck all the time. He'd flog that thing like crazy- 50-80mph down gravel, driving through fields and wherever else he could get it. He finally broke down and bought a pickup a few years ago though.

The car still lives on- he took over "Fun Days" in the next town over and wanted to jazz things up a bit from the previous organizer. One of the things he did was to sticker his car up like Lightning McQueen from the movie Cars, complete with the eyeballs in the windshield- and raffled it off. I still see it from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back