Do you get the last drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
For as long as I remember I've hated the thought of throwing away brand new oil. In my teens I worked at an ARCO service station (remember those?) and the owner had a little trough thing that drained into a gallon tin and all the cardboard oil cans went on it for a while to get all the oil out. I think he used the oil in his truck. I made a similar rig for the cardboard cans then when plastic came out I'd balance one quart on the neck of another til it was done then combine them, etc. until one was left. I didn't always save them up for a full quart but it always got used in/for something. The 5 quart jugs make this procedure a lot easier! I can't be the only one.

Shoot, I've probably saved $20 over the last 40 years!

No patience for me, either. My dad would play around, but I can't see the point of waiting five minutes for an extra tablespoon of oil in a 20 litre sump. Ideally, of course, I'd like no waste, but I don't have the patience.

[qugote=Quattro Pete]I have no patience for these things. [/quote]

+1

I save my Red Line drippings for my lawnmower. Then I add enough extra to make up an annual oil change. Works well. Most of the oil for the lawnmower comes from hanging the bottles upside down for a few weeks. The Honda lawnmower is 16 years old and runs just like new nd starts on the first pull. I do service the fuel and air filters on a regular basis as well. As soon as the foam part of the air filter gets dirty it gets washed and oiled with Red Line 2-stroke oil.

let it go until it stops dripping

Remember the add packs can settle out, and you could be loosing out on the good stuff in the bottle.

I take a funnel put it into an oil bottle and let the so called empty bottles from the oil change drain into that bottle. I'll easily collect an ounce or two from 5-6 so called empties. That oil will get used for something. There's very little waste around here.

I couldn't get the last drop but I came close.

I saved several 5 quart jugs for this purpose. When I changed oil with quart bottles I had all quart bottles up-side-down onto 5 quarts jugs(after poured the oil into the engine), and left them in a corner of garage for a while, may be up to an hour or two. I then transferred oil in 1 jug to another and had it up-side-down for an hour or two ...

Next day I had probably 2-3 oz for top off. But looking into all the supposed to be emptied bottles and jugs I could see about 2-3 drops was still in there. I didn't get the last drop but got about 30-50 drops.

0w20 don't need much to take moet, but as a 20w50 user, I let it sit laid down to the side to collect some of the remaning and re-pour at the end of the job. It comes about 1/2 to 1% for each flask.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I usually wait for it to start dripping, although the synthetic doesn't really drip much.
Syn oil doesn't cling like conventional oil ???

Originally Posted By: Pontual
0w20 don't need much to take moet, but as a 20w50 user, I let it sit laid down to the side to collect some of the remaning and re-pour at the end of the job. It comes about 1/2 to 1% for each flask.

It could be worse. Ever try to top up an engine, even with 5w-30, when it's -35 out?
wink.gif
The technique used is to treat the oil bottle like a toothpaste tube. The last drop isn't even on one's mind.

I can manage maybe a few minutes upside down when dumping it into an engine but anything after that and I get stabby.

When I'm stocked up oil that I got for $1 or $2 at the Autozone clearance or even $10.88 for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1. I don't bother, yeah, 3-5 seconds upside down while I open the next quart is all it gets. In the good old days, there was free G-oil and Nextgen. All the savings was in buying the oil.

I put a funnel in a quart bottle and drain each quart for a long while and then put in the next. Surprising amount of extra oil.

I set the quarts (or jug) on its narrow side edge over night. The majority of the oil runs down to that small surface. Then I invert them one by one into an spare quart bottle. After letting them drip a while I casually toss that one and set up another one. Might take all day to drain all five. I get lots more oil out, and costs me nothing.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I let them sit upside down in my engine for maybe 3 seconds after they are "empty"
+1

I only have the patience for maybe 3 seconds afterwards. I don't save the last drops either.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
For as long as I remember I've hated the thought of throwing away brand new oil. In my teens I worked at an ARCO service station (remember those?) and the owner had a little trough thing that drained into a gallon tin and all the cardboard oil cans went on it for a while to get all the oil out. I think he used the oil in his truck. I made a similar rig for the cardboard cans then when plastic came out I'd balance one quart on the neck of another til it was done then combine them, etc. until one was left. I didn't always save them up for a full quart but it always got used in/for something. The 5 quart jugs make this procedure a lot easier! I can't be the only one.

Shoot, I've probably saved $20 over the last 40 years!

OCD. It also occurs in dogs. Often manifesting as incessant tail chasing.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back