2014+ Transit Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I am in the market for a new minivan. We have 3 kids and I want them in the 2nd row (age 7, 6 and 6), plus haul our entourage of garbage. My budget is around $20k. SUV/Crossovers are too pricey.

It looks like the 2014+ Transit Connect might fit our needs, but I am interested in everyone's input on any issues that may have cropped up. The previous gen seemed to grenade transmissions. Thanks

Last edited:
It's a Ford Focus van with a conventional automatic. Ford finally seems to have figured out the 6F35 transmission. It is a different transmission than the 4 speed auto in the older Transit connect and the 6 speed dual clutch transmission that is in the Focus.

The 2.5 duratec is a good engine. The 1.6T could be a bit more fun but it uses a timing belt.

Seems a bit cramped with the 3rd row up, half as much space as a Caravan. I'd probably get a Caravan with $20k and 3 kids and didn't need 4wd. Maybe bargain hard for an extended warranty. I don't see much advantage of a Transit Connect at even money with a Caravan. Perhaps the TC will be more reliable?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Seems a bit cramped with the 3rd row up, half as much space as a Caravan. I'd probably get a Caravan with $20k and 3 kids and didn't need 4wd. Maybe bargain hard for an extended warranty. I don't see much advantage of a Transit Connect at even money with a Caravan. Perhaps the TC will be more reliable?

OP/cptbarkey,
i would second the caravan/TC AVP (america value package) at new or slightly used.
also a small alternative:
-mazda5: (seating is 2+2+2; only small legs in third row)
-i think dodge ram has a passenger version also
-also vw gold sportwagen can be had new at even lower than $18k
-ford c-max
-prius V

Ford Flex is also a great choice if you like the looks. The 2nd row is limo-like and it has a 3rd row that is useful for adults for short distances. It's a proven platform/drivetrain (Duratec 3.5) and has lots of room.

Thanks everyone for the input. We originally had a 2011 Sienna but gifted it to a family member, so getting another one is the obvious choice for minivan nirvana but as I get older its harder for me to stomach spending so much money (again).

I had one as a rental last week. I have 3 kids also, 8,9 and 2 years old. Here are my impressions as a family hauler.

Rode and drove great, was very impressed with its driving dynamics. Plenty of power in the city, very nimble. No passing power on the highway which was actually kind of scary. I'd consider it better in town than a highway cruiser. If you are doing 65 and need to do 75 to get in the passing lane, you floor it and make lots of noise but the speed comes on so slow. Can't expect much from the 2.5 4 cylinder I guess. Gas mileage was pretty bad. I got ~17MPG.

Where it falls on its face is lack of luggage space with the 3rd row seats up as well as 3rd row legroom. The floor is flat/stadium seating, so no adult can sit in the back for a extended period of time because your knees are at your chin. Kids, maybe... MY 9 year old's knees were still way above his hips, can't imagine that's very comfy on a long trip. With the 3rd row up there is maybe 16" of luggage space in back, not much at all. couldn't even fit a cooler or really any full size luggage back there. The 3rd row does slide but if you slide it forward to create more luggage room it kills the 3rd row legroom even more.

For how much they cost I'd look at used minivans first. They are a cool little kid runner if you are just shuttling them to school or getting groceries once and a while. It is not a van that can handle the whole family on weekend trips etc. Neat idea but not a minivan or SUV replacement.

Hope that helps. Enterprise rents them for $50 a day, may want to grab one and check it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back