Mazda CX5 Dipstick

I just replaced the factory fill on the wife's 2016 CX5. It has the 2.5L engine that calls for 4.8 qts of 0w20.

After replacing it, I can't get a reading on the dipstick - even after letting it sit all night. I checked underneath and it is as dry as a bone. I always use a new crush washer, and this time was no exception. So I am not really concerned since the oil could not have gone anywhere. It is just hiding somewhere...

Anyone else with a CX5 have trouble reading oil on the dipstick?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Did you pour it in the right hole?

It's the one that says "ATF", right?

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

If you're serious there lies your problem.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I can't remember if it said ATF or Radiator. It doesn't matter, does it?

Of course I am kidding.

Did you check the oil level on dipstick before changing ?

I always check the oil level so that I know how much I can extract with Mityvac 7201.

In your case, if you checked the oil level before changing and estimate how much you drained in the drain pan you can pretty sure that pouring in 5 quarts will make to the full line on dipstick.

Brand new oil can look very transparent on the dipstick. Get a piece of paper and rub it on the dipstick - see if any oil transfers over to the paper.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I can't remember if it said ATF or Radiator. It doesn't matter, does it?

Of course I am kidding.

I like your sarcasm
11.gif

I have a similar problem every other oil change with the Civic, when I change the oil filter, too. The oil is usually so clear it's tough to see on the orange dipstick. I typically have to dip a few times to ensure I'm good, even though I add the same amount each and every time and know I'm good empirically.

If you can't do as has been recommended and find the level, then keep adding until you get a level, not to exceed 1 qt at first. Not how much you add and then add that to each oil oil change volume from now on.

Stands for Add The Fluid hole.

But on a serious note, try reflecting sun light from the stick to your eye, sometimes new clear fluid is hard to see. If you are sure it's not there, add 250 ml then check again.

Add a bit of Moly (MoS2) and the oil is very easy to see on the stick.

Have you started the car yet? Just for 10sec to mix it up?

My original post wasn't very clear. I do some oil on the dipstick. However, it reads over a quart low. But I don't think I'm going to add another quart.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I put 5 quart jug into my CX5 2.5L and it reads about 3/4 between add & full which is fine with me. Ed

Sounds like we have the same engine, same dipstick error.

I read somewhere else to remove the dipstick for 15 minutes, and then retry. I guess it allows the oil in the dipstick tube to clear out, so it won't smear the stick.

So after having 3 days worth of driving, the oil has a slight color to it.

After letting the car sit all night, and removing the stick for 15, I was able to get a clear, unequivocal reading of 1/2 qt low (halfway between the marks).

I am inclined to go with the spec of 4.8, rather than adding half a quart.

I have a 2016.5 with the 2.5 engine and I am finding the reading the oil level after a fresh change frustrating to get accurate. I Put 4.5 liters of Supertech synthetic in with a Mobil 1 filter because that was what it said when I googled it but it looks to me to be a quart low. I have checked it cold first thing in the morning,. I have checked after running and letting it sit for five minutes per the manual. Still looks low to me. I definitely don't want to overfill-that can do more damage than being a little low. I added a little bit more this morning (maybe a cup worth ) but the level is still hard to read. On one side of the stick, I swear it is completely oil free! I have been changing my own oil for decades but this was the first Mazda. My Honda van is a piece of cake to read with clean oil in comparison. Same thing with all the GM iron I have had over the years.

The 2.5L is a bit tricky to get the exact full amount. My Mazda 2.0 wasn't as bad. Per the manual, the 2.5L's take about 4.8qts. In most cases I've read, including my own, it takes 5-5.3 qts to reach the full mark. However, the real way to check the oil level is key. Drive the car and get the engine nice and hot. Park it and wait about 10 minutes. Due to the heat, the oil will expand and likely be at the top hole. A cold level read in this particular engine should read a bit low.

Makes me question the official capacity in the manual. We had the first couple changes done at the dealer and a local shop. The local shop put down 5.25 quarts on the invoice which I was surprised by when the manual says 4.8.

I don't have a problem with 5Q jug + filter giving me an oil level of ~ 1/8 inch below the Max mark. Anything between Add and Max is safe. In addition; the fill quanities listed in the owners manual ar stated as APPROXIMATE. We can make much to do about nothing important IMO.. Ed

I just changed my oil in a 2020 equinox 1.5t. This was unequivocally the most difficult dip stick to read. There was no clear oil delineation mark because it seems like as the dip stick goes down it contacts the tube wall. There was a barely visible "dry" spot that I was able to make out after trying 3 times that was the actual oil level. I topped it off with another quarter quart and the mark was right under full.

One thing I recommend is pull the dip stick out and check the level with the stick facing down quickly. My Mazda miata 2.0 is pretty easy in comparison.

Back