Yamaha FJR 1300 -- 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt mind having one of these in the garage. But, as of right now, just one bike at a time.
I have had many debates with others over 5 speeds or 6. I mentioned many times that I would never consider a bike with 5 speeds anymore.
My style of riding and fast interstate, its too much of a compromise. Many forums of bikes with 5 speeds that ride like I do wish they had that 6th gear.

Well Yamaha listened! 6 speeds! (read the story, there are many like me) I want one as a second bike! Who knows, as I get older, maybe someday ...

2016 - FJR 1300

I think way too much has been made of the 5-speed vs 6-speed debate. At the end of the day, the choice of gears depends on the overall ratio spread (from 1st to top gear) and an engine's ability to pull the gap between gears. Six-speed trannies first showed up to compensate for peaky engines, keeping the rpm drop to a smaller magnitude and preventing the engine from falling on its face between gear changes. On a bike such as the FJR, the power spread is anything but narrow and the engine is more than capable of pulling the gap, making the adding of an extra gear as much a marketing tool as anything else (much as it is on cruisers).

BTW, the FJR is, and has always been,a dream bike, capable of cross-continent rides while still being able to get the heart beat up in the twisties. What's not to like?

Originally Posted By: Mik
I think way too much has been made of the 5-speed vs 6-speed debate. At the end of the day, the choice of gears depends on the overall ratio spread (from 1st to top gear) and an engine's ability to pull the gap between gears. Six-speed trannies first showed up to compensate for peaky engines, keeping the rpm drop to a smaller magnitude and preventing the engine from falling on its face between gear changes. On a bike such as the FJR, the power spread is anything but narrow and the engine is more than capable of pulling the gap, making the adding of an extra gear as much a marketing tool as anything else (much as it is on cruisers).

BTW, the FJR is, and has always been,a dream bike, capable of cross-continent rides while still being able to get the heart beat up in the twisties. What's not to like?

Apart from the price? LOL
Kidding, it sure is a dream bike.

True, but people (notably on this side of The Pond), willingly pay way more money for way less bike, so it's all relative....

One of my friends has a FJR and the other has a Kawasaki Concours. I'm torn between which bike I like the most. Both bikes have the 5 speed transmissions and the respective owners claim they're smooth as silk at high Interstate speeds. I would think wind protection would be more of an issue than over taxing the engine, or the engine being 'buzzy' at higher speeds. I can hear my son on his six speed Harley RK, 'hunting' for the sweet spot at moderate speeds while my old 5 speed Evo just chugs along with a slight roll of the throttle. Each transmission has it's trade offs. You should probably get over your 5 speed vs 6 speed obsession. Ride safe.

LED headlights. Good move by Yamaha to make an already great bike better. LED's help get you noticed better by traffic. Co-worker has an FJR, it's a nice bike.

Yes as far as "sport" type of bike, this is my favorite, I guess sport tourer.
I get ADD on bikes pretty quick, maybe as I get older, I want to try as many as I can before its too late?
Anyway, the FJR would be at the top of the list. Saddle bags/luggage room is important for me. Next would be how comfy the passenger is, my wife currently thrilled with the RK comfort.
Im sure the FJR would be too with the right seat, assuming a backrest for the passenger could be had? Might not look as cool but would be important.
If I could only have both!

Last edited:
FJR's are great bikes, I've done lots of riding on a friend's 2014 model. They are on the sport side of sport-touring. Wind protection isn't great, but the power and handling make up for that! Have to admit, I often find myself looking for 6th gear.

Alarmguy, you've done it the wrong way around, have the sporty bike when you're younger, migrate to the cruisers as you get older...

Olas, spot on, the XJR is a lovely bike - soon to be discontunued, sadly.

I`d really like to ride one . That`s one bike I would consider if I were in the market to buy a new bike. I am happy with the current ride.

I have had two FJR's, a 2007 and a 2010. Both were 5 speeds. I never saw the need for the 6th gear due to the broad torque range, but hey I have not ridden one of the 6-speed bikes. Myself, I'd be more excited about the addition of the electronic cruise control a few years back. For long highway trips I had a taller windshield I'd put on. It was a cruise missile. I actually liked the styling of the Gen II's over the current bikes.

I have a BMW R1200GS and although it has 6 speeds, it would do just as well with 4. I often double shift. 456 are too close together, who needs 5th.

Rod

If you can find a low mileage 2nd hand 5 speeder I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and save the depreciation hit from new.

The 5 speed bogeyman is complete fantasy. I've done some extended miles on the 5 speed with elec cruise. Very nice. If you're a big (ish) bloke, the wind protection is well behind the R1200RT though.

I've had my 03 XJR13 since new. Obviously Yamaha didn't think it was worth modifying for California emissions to import it to the States. Pity, I think Americans would love them.

If you like a big, seventies styled air cooled inline 4's, they are the ducks guts. No ABS, T/C, fuel injection, water or fuel pumps, or other unnecessary complexities. Easy to maintain and as reliable as an anvil. Just enough chrome and polished alloy to keep the OCD polishers happy as well.

Stay safe folks and remember, 'there's always one less than too many bikes in the shed.'

I can appreciate people being happy with 5 speed transmissions, 100%, no problem.

But for me, Ill never own another 5 speed bike. My first 2 bikes were 5 speeds, great bikes, everything was fine with them, but doesnt compare to a 6 for my style of riding.

Just like oil, everyone has a preference. I do know, that in every motorcycle forum, there are a percentage of people who own 5 speed bikes and wish they had that 6th gear. You wont find many that are disappointed when their bikes have a 6th.
This goes for Goldwings and big toures even the FJR1300 which someone in this thread even commented. So its not a fantasy, to me, the 6th completes the bike,

Last edited:
No arguments from me, I prefer 6 speeds too, having owned lots of 5 speeders over the years. Then again, I've ridden bikes where I find myself looking for 7th... There's just no pleasing some people
smile.gif

Wow that FJR1300 really gets me thinking, it presses a whole lot of my "want" buttons even though my "need" buttons are about nil (I wish I could ride the HD RK I already have more). But man......shaft drive, big 4 cylinder power, bags, good wind protection, all the tech goodies..........just makes me want to put one in the garage in a big way.

I just bought a 2009 (Generation II) FJR1300 with only 1541 miles on it for well less than half of its original price. The previous owner had short legs and a bad hip and dropped it twice in his garage. First drop scratched the fairing and the second one scratched the newly installed ugly (but effective!) crash bar. The bike intimidated him and he eventually ended up trading it in on a CanAm Spyder three wheeler.The panel is being painted now and the ugly crash bars have been replaced by sliders. I've brought all services up to date and am a happy camper!

It don't need no stinking 6th gear!

I have had many bikes over the past five decades or so, mostly six speeds. Some really benefited from having a sixth gear. A BMW K1200S (Rocket!), BMW R1150R (Roadster) and a Gold Wing GL1500 (Recliner) share garage space with this new one.

After about 500 miles on the FJR, I think the new sixth gear is a solution in search of a problem!

My hunch is that Yamaha added a sixth gear because their marketing types heard the whining about its absence and were looking for ways to update and garner some attention for an aging but still great machine. Their engineering types surely knew it really didn't need one. There is sooo much torque and top end that it's just unnecessary. The engine red lines at 11K and cruises effortlessly at 70MPH, turning only 4000RPM while still returning a whole ride tank average of 48+ MPG. This includes Interstate cruising, twisty back roads, a little in town traffic and no particular throttle restraint anywhere. Not coincidentally, this engine speed also places it at the bottom of the wide "sweet spot" of its power band. Want to accelerate out of a tight spot or just for fun? Just twist and go. No need to shift. You will pass 100 MPH VERY QUICKLY INDEED! The engine is quiet and silky smooth at this speed and I doubt the few extra revs hurt it a bit. The added responsiveness they add at highway speeds is welcome, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back