Today's legendary reliability vehicle is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember as I really started to notice cars in the late '70's - early '80's that MB, Volvo, and Saab were cars famous for their reliability. By the end of the decade the Japanese had swooped in and Honda and Toyota seemed to hold that title for about twenty years. As I survey the new car landscape now, there doesn't seem to be any contender for that throne.

Have we seen the end of legendary reliability? Is it just that mechanicals now are enough better that no one marque stands apart?

Or is there a maker today making such cars and I just am ignorant of it?

All cars are good, any difference is negligible. Buy what YOU like.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Have we seen the end of legendary reliability?

With the introduction of variable valve timing and direct fuel injection, yes.

Dont forget the 2003 and up Crown Vics. I see more 400,000 mile and above than any other car thru this shop than any other make. after all the years of small changes they got it right.

compared to 70s vehicles, all modern cars (well, most...) are crazy reliable with little but specific service.
But interesting question, what current car will be a legend?

I don't know, but maybe still some japanese 4 cyl small truck?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Corvette

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Dont forget the 2003 and up Crown Vics. I see more 400,000 mile and above than any other car thru this shop than any other make. after all the years of small changes they got it right.

01.gif

Just visit all service bays on all makes and ask the mechanics what they think..then you will not be guessing...

If you visit carcomplaints.com you will see that Toyota's and Honda's have plenty of issues (Honda more so). I agree that all makes are better but Chrysler-Fiat would rank below most.

Give it 15-20 years and that will tell you which ones were good in 2016,but whatever one you buy,prepare to spend a lot of time in the dealers waiting room to have recalls performed....

One car that has been a stand out for reliability in the London Private Hire trade (prebooked cars) has been the Toyota Prius.

I saw one yesterday that was first used as a Private Hire car in 2007, and had around 150k on it at three years old, some ended up doing Patient take homes from a local Accident & Emergency Unit for another 2 or 3 years and others were sold to owner driver Minicab drivers and went straight back to work

They regularly hit 300k or more and any rumours about battery packs not lasting seem to be just that, rumours

Yes- Honda ain't what it used to be.
And the inside scoop is that they could be but Honda is more interested in keeping their prices low. Quality be dam-ned

Originally Posted By: pbm
If you visit carcomplaints.com you will see that Toyota's and Honda's have plenty of issues (Honda more so). I agree that all makes are better but Chrysler-Fiat would rank below most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back