Mobil M1-110 or Fram Ultra XG7317 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one?

I have always used the M1. Before I got on here, I was one of those guys that wouldn't touch a Fram filter. Obviously Ultras are very respected on here.
Ultra is cheaper by a few dollars.

It will be going on a 2015 Polaris RZR 900. Oil and filter gets changed every spring. Usually about 1,000 miles on OCI. Oil will be M1 15-50, two quart capacity. Warm weather use mainly. Sits in heated garage in winter if I needed to use it.

What say you? They about the same quality wise?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd say they are both very good quality filters, but the XG is a bit more efficient than the M1. XG is also full synthetic and might flow a bit better since the M1 is a blend media - 15W-50 is pretty thick oil. Both would do a fine job, and both over kill for the OCI unless you're focusing mainly on efficiency and quality.

I would stay with the M1 if you dont have a reason to change. That would be the oil I use and you could probably go more than one season on it.

The m1-110 is pretty small I use it on one of my bikes. If you have more room a m1-104,105 or 210 will fit and also increase system capacity a good amount but that's just my way.

Both filters are high quality. Get whichever is the better price or on sale.

BTW, the M1 is also made by Fram
smile.gif

you will never notice any difference in a million miles. The most important filter is the air filter.

Thanks guys!
Ultra it is then. Yeah the OCI might be a little early for what I'm using, but it's only once a year and it's about $20.
Cheap piece of mind.

I'm using a R2C air filter this year. Used OEM last year. R2C makes no claims about hp, just claims it's a better filter efficiency filter. Non oiled reusable media. Blow it out from inside with 50-70 psi air, or vacuum outside.

I'll make a post in air filter section.

XG for sure. M1 is seriously over-priced and under-tech for what it is- a synthetic blend media with no wire backing- compared to the XG which is a dual -layer synthetic media WITH wire backing.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Run the ultra for 2 years

+1....agree. The Fram Ultra and M-1 are premium, top-grade filters....and can be used for much longer periods (might even go 3 or 4 years).

If you planned OCI (for filter) is just one year....using the above filters is just wasteful money wise. The Fram Tough Guard (a mid-tier filter),would be a better choice, and at about half the price.

A SuperTech 9688 has your name written on it. Buy a six pack with the money saved. I am in the crowd that is not going to leave a filter on for years.

The Fram is the better of the two. It has better filtration, more capacity, superior media AND is the less expensive of the two.

Here are the internal parts and materials of the XG6607 which is a short version of XG7317.

If only there was some flow rate data for M1-110 and Fram XG7317, that would make it easier to decide.

kc6kS5G.jpg

8PORjzM.jpg

Originally Posted By: davison0976
If only there was some flow rate data for M1-110 and Fram XG7317, that would make it easier to decide.

They will both flow way more than the engine can put out. But since the XG is full synthetic it probably flows a hair better than the M1 under the same conditions.

It is very interesting to compare PSID of synthetic oil filters (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Fram) and semi-synthetic (Mobil-1).
How much is the difference?
1x(=no difference), 2x, 4x?

^^^ See the sticky thread where you asked the same question.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: davison0976

They will both flow way more than the engine can put out. But since the XG is full synthetic it probably flows a hair better than the M1 under the same conditions.

Flow will be identical due to the oil pump being a positive displacement design. What will change is the pressure drop across the filter media.

Fram Ultra over Mobil 1 oil filter for me. Fram is cheaper and better all around. No brainer, my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back