Can you live without credit cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess not since everything is online and you really have no way to pay bills without them now. I guess some places still take checks or cash in person, anyways, looks like my credit card info got taken again and someone went on a shopping spree and racked up $300 bucks so far..... This happens like every 3 years on the dot. Last time the bank called me and removed all the transactions, so basically the merchant is the one who gets it in the end. Weird cause I don't think I used that card for a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can, but why would I?

I use credit cards for convenience mainly. Less pocket change, easier tracking of expenses, etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can, but why would I?

I use credit cards for convenience mainly. Less pocket change, easier tracking of expenses, etc.

Cause of situations like what I explained. You get stuck paying for someone else to go out and spend spend spend.

I do. Debit cards work for online transactions and bill payments. If it is processed on the credit card transaction service (rather than as a PIN debit card transaction), you have the same fraud protection as if it were a credit card. True, you are out the disputed money until they put it back but that usually happens pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I can, but why would I?

Cause of situations like what I explained. You get stuck paying for someone else to go out and spend spend spend.

That is identity theft and fraud, should be reported. Must be vigilant when using cards, always look at totals and make sure there is security seals at PATP's.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I can, but why would I?

Once you dispute it and report it as fraud, you shouldn't get stuck paying for it. I use them all the time for the kickbacks. You can get 2% back on a Fidelity card. You don't get that on a debit card. It's cheaper to use credit than cash. I just pay off the full amount each month and I also get a statement at the end of the year that summarize all my spending so that taxes are easy to do. Mine have also been hacked in the past, but I never got stuck with the bill. I have multiple cards so if one gets lost or hacked, I can use another one til I get one back. Occasionally I might use it for a 0% balance transfer if I'm doing a project and need short term cash. Cheaper than taking money out of the stock market.

Why would I want to stop again?

I went 23 years with no credit cards. I cut them all up after a divorce. I just recently got another one as the offer was so good. I might use it from time to time but it's really not needed. More of an emergency type thing for me.

They're getting ready to do away with cash and put a barcode on your wrist. They'll be able to monitor your every transaction and take money out of your account whenever they want to. Protest the government ? They'll take money out or your account or shut you down entirely.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
why let people track your spending habits?

Because the big world banks own all the world governments and the world governments have more guns than you do.

nope, cash is all I'll ever use. why let people track your spending habits?

Because you don't care and you get 2% back?

The sad reality is that no one really cares what you do.

Being suspicious has a cost, I guess in this case 2% of your purchases.

Do you know people go through your trash too looking for recyclables? Does that mean you're not going to throw away your trash?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
why let people track your spending habits?

Because the big world banks own all the world governments and the world governments have more guns than you do.

Yeah, I'm apathetic and I don't care.

i shred all paper and burn it. rest i could care less about.
the 2% is only worth it if you pay the CC OFF every month and not keep a balance.

The cash back doesn't add up to much. It doesn't make up for the extra money you spend by using cards vs cash.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yeah, I'm apathetic and I don't care.

You have no idea how much control they'll have over you when cash goes away.

Of course we have a credit card. Could we live without it? Sure. But it would be hard to travel without it and hard to make online purchases without it.

Like any other credit, as long as it's managed correctly and the user lives within their means then it's a good tool.

I have a American Express Black card but I never use it. Of course, I'm quite wealthy and simply use my stocks & bonds for every day expenses.

Everything I buy goes to a credit card, I appreciate the rewards and purchase protection. I never have cash on me, and I am not about to use a debit card that pulls directly from my checking account.

I use two no-fee cards; both provide rewards. I use them for most everything and pay them off in full every month.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The cash back doesn't add up to much. It doesn't make up for the extra money you spend by using cards vs cash.

Someone that can't control their spending because they have a CC doesn't mean the cash back doesn't add up to much. 2% - 5% off every purchase is still 2% to 5% back in your pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back