Free Riding Mower Needs a Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm mowing two lawns now I needed something to make it quicker and easier. Acquired a 10 year old Craftsman rider. Previous owner had the carb bead blasted? Never heard of that, but it runs very poorly, as in way too rich. The oil smells like fuel really bad. Not wanting to fool with another carburetor rebuild this year, I'm just going to replace it. Looking for suggestions as to where online to purchase.

Couple pics:

Not got into it too much, but it's a 13.5 HP Briggs with the electric fuel shut-off solenoid. Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like the previous owner didn't know what they were doing when/if they rebuilt it. But it shouldn't be too hard to find either a local source or an online source if you don't want to open up the existing carburetor. You can probably find one on Ebay or one of the many small engine specialty websites. If you're not sure which carburetor you need then you can contact them and they'll should be able to make a recommendation. I'm guessing even Amazon may have some available.

searspartsdirect has your carb. Part # 69916 $96.79 plus shipping

I used model 21B807 and Type 0326E1 to get there in their parts locator.

Double-check to make sure it is correct, though.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
searspartsdirect has your carb. Part # 69916 $96.79 plus shipping

I used model 21B807 and Type 0326E1 to get there in their parts locator.

Double-check to make sure it is correct, though.

That's exactly it, but after clicking the part it came up $120. Still cheaper than tearing it off a dozen times.

My Sears rider has the same Briggs "AVS" single cylinder engine. I know on mine, the choke on occasion will not flip back open on it's own and I have to do it manually. I believe the plastic throat on the carb is warped a bit, causing the choke plate to stick.

My point being, make sure the choke is really open after the engine starts and warms slightly.

For that price i would opt for a new motor. Subaru or Honda would be best but cost more. Then you don't have to worry about the cost of the next part that goes.

Type the model number into Ebay search block with the word carburetor. Almost positively the cheapest place to find one. Don't buy one until you look at all of them offered to get the best price. Be careful if you consider re powering it...the motor will have to be about the same horsepower and have a cast iron flywheel.

Does it run as rich when the air filter isn't in place? Could be the air filter. Keep in mind that even a novice can pull that carb and rebuild it in less than an hour or so for much less than the price of a carb. Go to you tube for a video walking you through the process. Also take a few digital pictures to reference when you're reassembling it. You can "bead blast" the outside of the carb all day and not clean the little passages that get clogged. It sounds like the needle and seat is letting fuel drain into the crankcase.

Bubbatime or JTK might be able to share why poorly adjusted valves or something internal might be causing it to run rich. I'd get as much information as possible before investing a dime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-590400-Briggs-217807-219977-21B807-21B877-21B906-more-/381589187060?hash=item58d87ce9f4:g:IZwAAOSwQgpW~9Mr

Free shipping makes it comparable to the other price above and pay pal makes it easy to do a charge back if it turns out to be junk.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
For that price i would opt for a new motor.

What-Meme-13.jpg

The cost of a replacement 13.5HP engine would be more than what the mower is worth. The engine is likely perfectly fine other than it's current fuel delivery problem.

I will probably do a little tinkering with it here later on today. I'm a little suspect of the choke sticking, as it's rich all the time, it gets really bad under load. Air filter is like new. I will also pop off the valve cover for a quick inspection. Whoever had it previously kept good care of it. For 10 years old there is no rust or obvious damage I can see.

That mower does look to be in good shape. I'd play with the choke or just replace the carb if it's not that.

I've got a Craftsman LT2000 with the 18hp version of that engine. It will continue to run when the choke sticks, but it pops, sputters,smokes and has no power as you'd suspect from a sticking choke.

Dug a little bit into it, the choke does not appear to be sticking. The spark plug was all wet from fuel as well as the intake tube having fuel in it. New carb will be ordered today so I can put it on next weekend.

I'd get a new carb if they messed with it. That one likely needs a new needle and seat anyway. Those carbs have a bad design where the needle/seat get worn and let fuel flood the engine, filling the crankcase with fuel. This is probably why your oil smells like fuel. I've had customers who hydro locked the engine trying to start it full of fuel.

Looks like a nice little mower though in good condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-593433-CARBURETOR-OEM-CARB-/331724941118?hash=item4d3c58e73e:g:bKcAAOSwnipWYgDu

$100 on ebay for a replacement carb.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Dug a little bit into it, the choke does not appear to be sticking. The spark plug was all wet from fuel as well as the intake tube having fuel in it. New carb will be ordered today so I can put it on next weekend.

Your carb is leaking and needs to be replaced. I had the same problem on my rider. I spent all sorts of time an effort trying to fix it. Finally gave up and replaced it. In the process, I put a shut off valve and a filter in the fuel line. If this one fails, I will do the same thing again.

I looked up your model, that is one of the more expensive models, still, it's a free mower.

From Amazon:
Quote:
Briggs & Stratton 590400 Carburetor Replaces #796078
by Briggs & Stratton
4.8 out of 5 stars 7 customer reviews
Price: $96.80 Free Shipping for Prime Members
+ $7.02 estimated tax
Earn 3% Back (worth $2.90 when redeemed) with your Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card. Learn more
In Stock.
Want it tomorrow, May 5? Order within 4 hrs 58 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Briggs & Stratton 590400
New OEM Carburetor
Genuine Briggs & Stratton Part
Replaces Old Briggs #796078

Ordered the carb (same model as Merk posted) Sunday and I just looked, it was delivered today. Hopefully it won't go anywhere till I get home Friday night. I hope that will fix my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back