303 application process for engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Sonus Motorkote, you spray it over the entire engine and let it sit and it will dry to a smooth finish. A good way to speed this up is to spray the engine down while cold, then go for a drive and get the engine hot. That helps cure it.

Does anyone have any experience using 303 in this way? I want to try 303 being I can get it at retail and don't have to order it. Thanks.

When I do my engine bay, I use either vinylex or some old armor all tire foam and spray some on an old thick sock that has been wet with water but then thoroughly wrung out before the product is applied.

Then I wipe everything down with the sock.

The water thins out the product to avoid everything being too greasy and using the sock avoids the spots you get from just spraying the product on.

It's used quite a bit by detailers in the engine bay. I just found my answer.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/303-aerospace-protectant-cat19.html

Quote:
For use on engine bays, clean and dry your engine bay first. Then spray 303 Aerospace Protectant liberally over all surfaces, and leave for 4-6 hours to dry. At first you may not believe that this method will work, but trust us it does; it will deliver far superior results compared to trying to dress the same surfaces by wiping on the product with an applicator pad. When you check the results after 4-6 hours, there may still be a few areas that need a quick wipe down with a PB Utility Towel, but everything else will be dry to the touch and looking like new. For use on interior surfaces and door seals, spray 303 Aerospace Protectant onto a Meguiar’s Microfibre Applicator Pad and then wipe down the surfaces to be protected lightly and evenly before allowing them to dry naturally. Do not be tempted to over-apply the product or buff the protected surfaces once dry; neither action is necessary, and both will result in a sub-standard finish.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-to-detail-your-engine-bay/

http://www.autogeek.net/engine-guide.html

I like the Mothers VLR for engines, not too shiny and doesn't smear or attract dust.

SAM_1547_zpsf6yxz00e.jpg

I have used 303 for years on my car. Its a good product, but I dont use it on the engine. You can but I choose not to. Yes if you mist it over everything and let it dry for 6 hrs it will be nice, but not many people can just leave their cars parked for that long.

I just use my Duragloss instant detailer. I mist it over everything and wipe it down immediately. It leaves a shine and is anti static. Car is done in minutes, not HOURS.

I use the 303 on ALL outside rubber/hard plastic on my cars. Good Stuff.

Jeff

I have used 303 on a few engines and it makes the engine look very nice.

Make sure to get a better atomizing sprayer as the sprayers that come on the bottle move too much product in too tight a pattern.

I spray and let sit for a few minutes then come back with a microfiber towel and sop up the excess. Far too dry here to let it sit for "a few hours" as in the link. It will dry up in minutes here.

It is very expensive for engines however, and I'm on the look out for something cheaper and also water based with the same results.

I've tried Meguiars D156 as an experiment on the engine trim cover.

It went on OK but didn't leave any gloss or enhancement at all. Just looked flat.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I have used 303 on a few engines and it makes the engine look very nice.

Make sure to get a better atomizing sprayer as the sprayers that come on the bottle move too much product in too tight a pattern.

I spray and let sit for a few minutes then come back with a microfiber towel and sop up the excess. Far too dry here to let it sit for "a few hours" as in the link. It will dry up in minutes here.

It is very expensive for engines however, and I'm on the look out for something cheaper and also water based with the same results.

thanks Tempest.

Tempest, I've used this and it works well. I just don't want to order it.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-trim-motor-kote.html

Originally Posted By: buster
*where can one get a better sprayer?

I'm lucky in that I have a couple of detail shops around town that have a good selection of these things.

I would look for one of these:
66468p.jpg

They make a blue and white version which produces a very fine mist for glass cleaners, but I haven't tried it with 303, yet.

^^ I will be doing that first chance I get. It seems we're in one of these Noah's Ark events with the weather, once it breaks I'm in. Thanks for posting the video.

I detailed the Rubicon engine and engine bay this morning in the garage. I did some light cleaning, mostly dust. I sprayed it on like it was done in the video. I gave it a few hours to dry. It pooled slightly which I dried with a MF towel after about 2.5 hours drying time. I used the bottle the 303 came in w/o issue. I'll do my Liberty when the weather clears up and I have more time.

The results look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back