Windows 10 update utility is useless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few days back I pick up a new HP 15.6" laptop. Has Windows 10 Home. I'll spare you on most of the hardware details, but it has a 6th gen i5 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, FWIW. Out of the box, the update utility started downloading updates; probably sat on a shelf for a few months, so this is understandable. Oddly, some updates either failed to download or failed to install. No reason given. I tried the built-in troubleshoot utility to no avail.

Frustrating, to say the least. So only a few hours after firing up my new computer, I did a factory reset on it, sans my personal files. It's better now, but still will not install the new version of W10 Home (version 1511, 10586). The download meter gets stuck in random places. Even if it finishes downloading, the install prep fails, and then it tries to re-download the whole thing again. Any ideas? I know there is an option to download the file as a .iso and install it that way, but I really shouldn't have to do this on a new computer. I also have Norton Antivirus installed, if that makes a difference.

Had similar issue's with a laptop. Windows 7 would just set there and check updates. 64bit I was able to get it to go with a patch but crashed halfway through. Even tried just doing the Windows 10 update and got stuck on checking for updates. Wonder if Microsoft is having issue's. I just went with Ubuntu for now it does everything I need it for so far.

It is likely overloaded MS servers cutting you off. Don't worry MS will keep trying to download the updates until they load, I know a brand new Lenovo desktop we bought in early december didn't load and install the cumulative 1151-10586 for a month.

The best advice is to leave the PC on (set to never sleep) and let it sit for a few days, you might be surprised.

Being a MAC user, I have to fix the title for you:

Originally Posted By: klutch9

Windows 10 .... is useless!

27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Being a MAC user, I have to fix the title for you:

Originally Posted By: klutch9

Windows 10 .... is useless!

27.gif

Actually the only really negative thing about Windows 10 is
the forcing of updates. If they would simply stop that angle it would be a much different story. Sure automatic for most folks is OK but for many users or certain situations it isn't.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

the forcing of updates. If they would simply stop that angle it would be a much different story. Sure automatic for most folks is OK but for many users or certain situations it isn't.

Agreed. There should be a choice of updating, or not.

This I do agree on. Anyway, I finally got it to work by setting the computer to never sleep and just letting it do its thing. Took just shy of 3 hours, at my best guess
shocked.gif

I agree. You have to spend extra for the Pro edition to have a choice.

Haha, I was just formulating a post about that too...

"It is Windows 10, that's what people are going to say.... Don't do it!" Even the weather lady knows it sucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back