2016 Chevy Impala rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highway master. I love it when cruising above 50mph. Solid ride, great handling. Sneaky fast and quiet.
Interior is pretty nice. I really like the dash and layout/controls.
Gigantic back seat, great for adults.
Comfortable seats, cold air, great sightlines. The rear window is not tall but it's wide and that makes up for it.

Horrific shifting when starting from a stop. What in the world were they thinking with the shift points??????? It shifts at all the wrong points and it shifts terribly between 1st and 3rd. When cruising it's fine.

Lackluster power but I believe the transmission is to blame.

It would be on my list pending the AT.

I wonder if the last renter had it for a while and had a light foot. The transmission would have adapted to those shift points. I wonder if a new one on the lot would have had the same issues.

Good to hear that the rest of the car is good, though!

He said sneaky fast and later on said lackluster power.. My guess is that its the 4 cylinder. The v6 is quite fast.

Look for the "Sport" mode button or kill the OD and try again
laugh.gif

And if a review for BITOG, at least open the hood and check the oil ... And read the owners manual for relevant oil classes by temp, etc
laugh.gif

Last edited:
It is the V6 and it's powerful in 3rd gear headed up the speedo, after about 35mph and the dreadful first couple of shifts. No complaints there.

It is the new style, I would have picked a minivan instead of the old style had that option presented itself.

And don't worry, I will be peeking under the hood at some point....the oil was either changed or the rental company reset the OLM before I got it.

I actually like the new Impalas. However, in not a big fan of the High Feature V6. My grandparents have two LaCrosses and I completely agree with the [censored] poor transmission tuning. The 2010 LaCrosse is kind of a dog under half throttle, but like you mentioned, it could be tuning (for mileage). There feels like there is no low end and you need to have the revs up. Although, I will say that the direct injected variants have been reliable. The newer versions seem promising as well.

Terrible shifting seems to be very common complaint on the new GM's. My Sierra with the 5.3 and 8 speed shifts terrible, and there doesn't seem to be anything they can do about it. I have owned many new and used GM's and most shift like butter. NOT this 8l90 trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back