mower deck spindle grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried searching around, but it seems there isn't much info on specifically what greases work best for mower deck spindles. I am currently using what little is left in my grease gun from my last job, which they used Mystik JT-6. The supplier they used is an hour away and the only local place that carries it is tractor supply, which is kind of hit and miss with what they stock. Is there another grease that would be ideal for the 100 degree summer days? I am tempted to try the supertech grease but am afraid it might separate in the high temperatures. I suspect a regular lithium grease is preferred for this situation. Any good grease to try that won't separate at high temps and is compatible with the mystik? My local wal-mart carries the Lucas red and tacky, as well as valvoline which autozone also carries. It would mostly be used to snapper rear engine riders in case that makes a difference.

Grease is cheap. Parts & labor are expensive.

Deere SD Polyurea would be available at your local dealer. Use it for everything.

Iv'e used Valvoline Crimson EP for years. My 17 year old JD LX188 still has it's original deck bearings/pulleys. The deck is almost silent and smooth as silk.

Mystik JT-6 is available at my local WalMart. Might be working checking again if that is what you want to use.

I have used a few various supertech greases with good luck.

I use it on the Kubotas, (mower deck all the way to the loader on the big guy.) as well as the rear mount implements.

For years I have used multi purpose grease and never had a spindle go bad. 1973 Bolens and 1985 Craftsman. Important factor is that it is greased regularly.Don't go hog wild and pump 10 shots in because it will overflow under a belt cover and get all over the belt.

Last edited:
I used the JD Polyurea grease for a few years on my 4310s loader pins and ujoints, and on the spindles on my 345 mower deck. After two spindle bearing failures I switched to the Mystic JT6 grease for the last 14 years....ZERO bearing failures.

The Polyurea does resist washout a bit better, but its not a factor with my lube schedule. I've since switched to a JDs HD Moly grease for my loader pins and chassis.

YMMV

Mike

I was a Snapper dealer for many years, and actually RARELY ever put grease in the zerk for the blade spindle bearings. Why? because the Large ball bearings are sealed both sides , and I couldn't see how any grease could get into them anyway. Also in over 20 years as a dealer, I don't ever remember replacing any snapper spindle bearings. Other makes, yes.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
So what's the consensus on greasing frequency? Every 5 hours? 10?

I have a JD Z720a and its easy to grease the spindles on it. I do so every 5 to 15 hours, usually give it a pump or two, then once in a while I give it 5 or so pumps to flush it out.

I think JD spec is every 50 hours.

My mower deck spindles have no zerks. There is nothing to grease. I've had to replace spindles because of hitting obstructions and breaking the casting, but even then, the bearings and shafts were fine. This on a 20 y/o Poulan Pro 42" rider.

I have John Deere with two deck spindles. they said to not over grease which I promptly did and blew the seals on one of them. Years later I finally had to rebuild one of the spindles as it was making so much noise. It has two bearings in it and the grease zerk simply pumps grease into the 2" void between them.

But the bearings were cheap and it was not hard to rebuild it. The other is still good as new. Mower is 18 years old now.

I have seen Mobile Polyrex EM grease. It is a polyurea grease. http://www.mobil.com/english-US/Grease/pds/GLXXMobil-Polyrex-EM-Series

They are also claiming that it is compatible with lithium greases (I guess telling you in a way that the two won't harden or something bad if they get mixed together). The stuff I found is Mobil POLYREX EP 2 and it is $51.35 per case. That is cheap in my opinion and free shipping if you order $75 or more worth of stuff. I have read in various places that Polyrex EM is very good grease and thta polyurea greases don't build up as much like other greases after the oil is depleted. This is the stuff I ordered and it will last me a long time: http://www.autoparthub.com/MOBIL_POLYREX_EP_2_tubes

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
My mower deck spindles have no zerks. There is nothing to grease. I've had to replace spindles because of hitting obstructions and breaking the casting, but even then, the bearings and shafts were fine. This on a 20 y/o Poulan Pro 42" rider.

That's what my cheap old mower has too. Good quality sealed bearings, shafts, and spindles and blades as the weak points.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Grease is cheap. Parts & labor are expensive.

Deere SD Polyurea would be available at your local dealer. Use it for everything.

I spent some time on the phone a long time ago with a Chevron lube tech. I wanted a grease that would be good for my vehicles, outdoor power equipment, and marine applications. I picked out a polyurea grease. The lube tech stated that the polyurea was an outstanding choice, but it was not compatible with conventional greases. My second choice was Chevron Delo EP #2.I've never had any lubrication failures. I absolutely think that this stuff made my 1/2 ton GM pups ride better. I spent two hours a day commuting so I knew my vehicles. Mystik JT6 Hi Temp is a very close second choice.

That's a new one, I never heard using a certain grease instead of another would make a vehicle ride better. I wonder if using nitogen filled tires would do the same?

I just bought a Ferris commercial z turn mower and asked the mechanic what grease to use. He said plain old "Red grease" and not to mix them.

I have owned several riding lawnmowers and have about one and a half acres of grass to cut. Have always used Pennzoil TTM 302 lithium based grease in my gun. Its a 3 blade machine (48") and gets grease at the beginning of the season and again in August. I have worn out engines and trannys but never had a spindle problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back