John Deere filter or aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for an oil change on my John Deere 1025R subCUT. Factory John Deere filter M806418 cross references to many other brands as it looks like a common filter in older small cars and even motorcycles. Here's what I've found so far:

John Deere dealer price: $13.95

Local independent distributor, Hastings LF113: $3.87

Amsoil dealer/preferred customer price: Wix 51365--$10.10, EAO15K12--$15.05

The John Deere filter has Made in USA printed on top of the can. Wix has a generally good reputation on BITOG and it's a bit cheaper than JD. The EAO filter is a no -brainer for the price vs JD as the EAO line contains Donaldson nano-fibre media, but this seems rather overkill for my homeowner use. JD recommends an annual OCI anyway if used less than 200 hours.

That leaves Hastings at a rock bottom price of $3.87. The distributor said they currently have 160 of these in stock. I do remember Hastings filters from when I was a kid but rarely see them around here any more. I know Hastings and Baldwin are twins, and Baldwin does make the best fuel filter for my Dodge 5.9 Cummins so I have no bias against them, I'm just suspicious of too low a price.

So it boils down to:

1. Stick with JD OEM and trust they spec the best balance of filter parameters for their own machine.

2. Use Hastings for the price and my annual OCI.

Opinions?

I've never used a john deere filter on mine or my dad's lawnmowers

and on my new holland tractor i've used only either motorcraft or bosch filters.

I don't see the problem with using a lower priced filter.

the extra money you are paying for the john deere filter is just because its labeled oem.

Of the choices, I'd go with the LF113. In other words, the least expensive of the choices for the annual oci you do anyway.

Second choice only because it's more expensive is the Wix/NG 5/1365. But it does have a silicone adbv where as the Hastings is nitrile. Wouldn't think a big difference though for an OPE application.

And looking further at the Xref, it also looks to be the 6607/14612 size which is common in many automotive applications. And if length/access permits would also open up the 7317/14610/51356 applications.

I've found that using the equivalent automotive application to the OPE filter, is much less expensive and the filter is equivalent to or most times better than (silicone adbv) the OPE filter. I've been using a Napa Gold(Wix) 1348 with my Kohler engine on my ride on for some time now.

As for your signature, I thought CDO was OCD for those with lysdexia.

I can purchase John Deere filters online or at my local dealer for a lot less than the price you're quoting. Granted, you're in Canada and your prices are significantly higher that here in the states.

If you really can't find them at a lower price, the alternative filters will do just fine as long as they meet all of the specifications of the original filter.

Why not opt for a larger filter while you are at it? The Wix 51356 is about 0.8 inches longer but has the same other dimensions and bypass setting. The cost might actually be lower because this larger filter has a broader set of applications.

I use automotive equivalents on my small engines as long as the pressure is within the same limits. Heck, I can put a FRAM Ultra on for several dollars cheaper than the OEM and probably get two seasons of mowing out of it. I think keeping a quality, clean air filter and pre filter installed, is probably more important.

My L111 John DEERE has a 20 HP B&S twin. I ending up buying a B&S brand filter at Home Depot because the Fram OC cross reference filter at Walmart was the same price. I am careful about not putting any filter on just because it screws on. I like to use the OEM or exact equivalent. Ed

Thanks gents. I'll check out the Hastings filter. But I'm disappointed they don't use the Hastings filter man logo any more, reminds me of my childhood.
smile.gif

BTW: thanks Farmer for the great link and filter pics. Looks fine for annual OCI's but JD pricing isn't. Thanks for the greenpartstore.com link, I've bookmarked it. I've got a the 1025R and an X320 so I'm sure I'll make use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back