whixh ATF for older 4L60e?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '98 GMC K1500 with 75k. Truck runs great, but the transmission fluid has probably never been changed in it. I plan on dropping the pan for a filter change and get some fresh fluid in the old 4l60e. Im also doing a deep pan upgrade that'll add 2 qts of capacity.

Which fluid should I go with on an older 4l60e with low miles?

I believe the original manual calls for Dex III (Dex Iv), but have heard maxlife is great stuff as well that should be compatible.

Thoughts?

I do not think they made any internal changes for the III/VI switch. Maxlife is good stuff and cheap enough in gallons at WM - can be overpriced elsewhere.

Get a pan with a drain plug - some don't have it. Or weld in one.

I am changing my older, low mileage 4T60E next week, I already got my DEX 6. If you plan on keeping it a long time, order an upgraded pan with a drain plug from Rock Auto.I'm not into universal fluids.

While I am a big believer in Dex VI I also know from experience that Maxlife is excellent stuff. Use it with confidence...

Last edited:
I have Dex VI in my 98 S-10 with the same AT and 70k. Granted I've changed it once or twice since new.

I have used dex/merc, dex 6, and maxlife in older 4l60e. I couldn't tell the difference. Any of these will serve you well.

32.gif
What deep pan are you getting? I always get one of those Derale deep pans with the cooling tubes. They have a drain plug and don't require an extended pick up.

I got the dorman deep pan. It came highly recommended from most of the GMT400 forums. I also got a compatible AC delco deep pan filter too.

I would use the max life it never let me down and always worked great.
And another plus is it is cheap at wal mart and always fresh because they sell a lot of it.

I bought the Dorman pan.... The shift linkage binded so badly I had to switch back to the factory pan. I strongly don't recommend it.

I used Mobil Dex VI but next change it will be Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: luca
I got the dorman deep pan. It came highly recommended from most of the GMT400 forums. I also got a compatible AC delco deep pan filter too.

Well I like the low price. I saw it online, some people said they switched the brass washer for nylon on the drain plug to stop it from leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back