00 Pontiac WS6 TA, 249K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make/Model: GM 5.7L V8 LS1
Vehicle: 2000 Pontiac WS6 Trans-Am

Just purchased this one. The guy I bought it from took it in on trade, had no idea any of the history on the vehicle. Have AT & coolant samples back, sending off oil and rear diff next week. Coolant is being flushed tomorrow and filled with Amsoil ANT.

Code:

COOLANT Unknown

MILES IN USE Unknown

MILES ON UNIT 249K

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/14/16

SCA ADDED 0

IRON 0

ALUMINUM 0

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

SILVER 0

ZINC 0

TITANIUM 0

CALCIUM 0

MAGNESIUM 0

SILICON 2

PHOSPHORUS 0

BORON 68

MOLYBDENUM 0

SODIUM 338

POTASSIUM 108

FOAM None

COLOR Clear Yellow

OIL None

FUEL None

MAGNETIC PRECIPITATE None

NON-MAGNETIC PRECIPITATION Minor Flocculant / Flake

ODOR None

FREEZE POINT (F) -54

BOIL POINT (F) 255

ANTIFREEZE % 81

pH WATERS 8.6

TOTAL HARDNESS 0

NITRITE 5 - Strip

SPECIFIC CONDUCTANCE 1379

SCA NUMBER 0.0

Oil Analyzers Comments:
Suggest draining this system by 50% and adding new 50/50 premixed coolant; The nitrite level is low which may be due to precipitation from over treatment with inhibitor, an air leak, over extending service, or mixing coolant formulations. The glycol level is too high for proper heat transfer. This may be due to water evaporation from an air leak, adding concentrate to the system, or improper dilution.

Interesting

I dont think I have seen someone use fluid analysis to learn what they just bought. Very nice idea dhellman12! Seems so smart on a high mileage musclecar.

Hope you learn what you can and keep the wheels turning.

I can't believe you found an GM LS motor with that high of mileage still running! I'm betting the motor was replaced/rebuilt at least once in its lifetime...

smile.gif

Neither would I, and that's sort of what I was hoping for. Will check it out in more detail this weekend and hopefully will have a rear diff & oil sample back in a few more weeks. The oil was changed recently so I didn't think it would tell too much before buying. After seeing the AT and coolant though, I thought I'd roll the dice.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I can't believe you found an GM LS motor with that high of mileage still running! I'm betting the motor was replaced/rebuilt at least once in its lifetime...

smile.gif

I've worked on Gen III engines since they debuted..... Seen several LS1's with over 300,000 HARD miles on them.

In 2000 I bought a '97 LS1 from a Vette that had been on fire, The Intake was melted into the Intake Ports, I had too chisel the plastic out, Installed new gaskets & Seals, Bolted a Magnuson Supercharger on it & ran it at 10 PSI for over 60,000 miles in a '50 Studebaker Pick-up, Sold it 9 years ago & the new owner has tacked on at least another 30,000.

That's 90,000 miles under 10 PSI of boost on top of however many miles the engine had on it before the fire. And it's a First Year '97 model that everyone steers clear of.

Most LS engines die from a broken Valve Spring, If your hitting redline daily....Plan to swap Valve Springs every 80,000-100,000 miles. They have a fairly aggressive cam profile Stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back