Changing 4 vehicles from conventional to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to All,

As the topic says I have 4 higher mileage vehicles I am changing from PYB conventional to Penn. Platinum. No oil burn off or leaks now. They are as follows-

Civic 1.6 liter- 185,000
Ford 3.0 liter- 152,000
Ford 3.0 liter- 124,000
Dodge 3.9 liter- 150,000

Any problems with doing this? Or would I be asking for problems?

Thanks Everyone

I would not do it, the synthetic is going to clean everything up tand your going to get small leaks from the valve covers. If you switch, go to a high mileage synth.

My in laws gave me a high mileage car 130K when I got it, the last oil change they decided to go synthetic and after a few oil changes- my valve covers are seeping oil. I switched High mileage synthetic and the leaks have subsided.

I know others will disagree, but that has been my experience. My other car had synthetic since it hit 30k and I have no leaks or burning at all at that engine has 279k

Look each car over for leaks, even for little seeping leaks on the back of the oil pan or something.

If no existing leaks, go for it.

If there is leaks, stay with conventional.

My Camry is 16 years old with almost 210k miles, I switched it over to synthetic with no leaks at all.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
I would not do it, the synthetic is going to clean everything up tand your going to get small leaks from the valve covers. If you switch, go to a high mileage synth.

My in laws gave me a high mileage car 130K when I got it, the last oil change they decided to go synthetic and after a few oil changes- my valve covers are seeping oil. I switched High mileage synthetic and the leaks have subsided.

I know others will disagree, but that has been my experience. My other car had synthetic since it hit 30k and I have no leaks or burning at all at that engine has 279k

+1 They may start to leak, or they may not. If you do go syn on them, the HM version would be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I don't see any problems with it, but why do you want to switch? I imagine the PYB is hard to beat.

+1

I don't believe synthetic oil causes leaks, I've switched many high mileage vehicles over to it and never had a problem. Recently did it to my 7.3 Powerstroke that has almost 200k on it and not one leak, and the 7.3 is known to be a leaking SOB. PYB cleans the heck out of engines anyway, putting synthetic in there probably won't expose much of anything else the PYB hasn't already cleaned. Only reason to use synthetic is longer drain intervals, if you don't plan exceeding 5k, stick with conventional. PYB can handle 5k intervals all day long no sweat.

Originally Posted By: 19kj57
Hello to All,

As the topic says I have 4 higher mileage vehicles I am changing from PYB conventional to Penn. Platinum. No oil burn off or leaks now. They are as follows-

Civic 1.6 liter- 185,000
Ford 3.0 liter- 152,000
Ford 3.0 liter- 124,000
Dodge 3.9 liter- 150,000

Any problems with doing this? Or would I be asking for problems?

Thanks Everyone

What is it your trying to accomplish?

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I don't see any problems with it, but why do you want to switch? I imagine the PYB is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: expat
Unless the Penn Platinum was free, I would not bother.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
If not extending your OCI then no need to switch. PYB is a great oil to start with.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why the switch?

.... I'm sensing a pattern here. Not to mention this:

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Unless you're dealing with a problem with any of these cars (which based on what you've provided, you're not), I don't see any reason to stop using PYB. It's a great oil.

PYB, FORUMULA SHELL, Motorcraft syn-blend etc so may quality conventionals and syn-blends. I'd stick with one of those. Hard to beat them.

+1
smile.gif

You have a fleet of relatively undemanding engines.
Those Ford Vulcans would be happy on any oil and the Civic and Dodge aren't much pickier.
Could you start using PP in any of these engines?
Sure.
Will you see any problems?
No.
Will you gain anything?
Probably not, but you can certainly switch to Plat with no problems if that's what you want to do.
There is a nice MIR currently which combined with store deals can yield some really cheap PP.
I've actually gotten a jug for less than a buck fifty net and have received my check from SOPUS.

I suggest Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, easily available at Walmart now in 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30. Also, Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife Tech is available in everything from 0W-20 to 10W-40 now. If any of those engines are 2004 & older, you can consider Mobil 1 High Mileage as well since it's API SL for vehicles '04 & older.

You may unknowingly be using a synthetic oil. Look at 5w20 test results from the Petroleum Quality Institute testing. A NOACK of 6.4 is not remotely similar to the other 5w20s tested. All of the others were 12 and above. Plus the PYB 10w30 had one test result of 4.4. Which Joe90guy who has years of experience in this field strongly felt that was not a mineral based oil. In fact this result is similar to the Pennzoil Ultra results from their PDS. So, it's possible you may have been running a synthetic without even knowing it
smile.gif

Just a thought. But it's possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back