Chevron Ursa Super Plus EC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this oil when picking up Rotella T at a local independent distributor. I hadn't thought about URSA for years, as I last remember using it in my old 98.5 24V Cummins. It was the last CI-4+ oil I could find when everything switched to CJ-4. I was holding out until there was more real world experience with CJ-4 in pre-2007 engines, but at least now we know it was a moot point.

Anyway, I searched BITOG and found essentially nothing about URSA. Does anyone use it? It's specs, price, and marketing make it look like a lower add-pack slightly thinner conventional HDEO vs DELO LE. It's numbers are very close to Rotella T but with a lower TBN of 8.1. URSA is a holdover from Texaco, and AFAIR when I used it it was still labeled Texaco. It's only $7 cheaper per pail than DELO LE here, so not a big deal, I'm just curious.

That's interesting. I wasn't sure if the Ursa brand survived the buyout. A savings of seven dollars is nothing to sneeze at, and I'm sure it's a good oil.

Love your sig btw.

Last edited:
I don't know if they kept it up, but at first after buying Texaco, they used Delo as top tier, Texaco Premium TDX as next, Ursa Super Plus third tier.

simple_gifts:
cheers3.gif

I thought my sig would be appropriate for BITOG.
smile.gif

I've never seen Texaco TDX here. There's a bit of Havoline branded products around but never in any retail setting that I've seen, only the more commercial/industrial type distributors. I actually bought a gallon of Havoline IAT coolant last week for my John Deere 1025. It reminded me of my childhood when there were Texaco gas stations everywhere in this part of Canada.

I wonder how URSA compares to Rotella T? Shells advertises that Rotella T gives up to 22% less Fe wear than Rotella T3, so more friction modifiers I assume? Chevron advertises Delo LE as having ISOSYN which URSA does not.

Last edited:
Richard, Ursa is still available in Canada, usually at a fairly healthy discount. Of course, finding it isn't always easy, since the distribution system for Chevron is a bit messy in this part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back