Reality hits home

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son in-law (policeman) had to shot and kill a suspect who had rammed him against his police car. My son inlaw has damage to his knee.

It's in the Troy NY news.

The guy was trying to be stopped for a DUI. Not a good outcome for anyone.

Sorry to hear that on both accounts. But most glad that your SIL is OK and safe. How bad was his knee?

We the taxpayers spend unprecedented amounts of money to keep first responders safe with new tech... But a whacko will use anything. Again, glad your SIL is OK.

Prayers sent for both parties. Hopefully your SIL makes a full and speedy recovery.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My son in-law (policeman) had to shot and kill a suspect who had rammed him against his police car. My son inlaw has damage to his knee.

Glad to hear your SiL wasn't too badly injured, and I hope he recovers soon.

As for the idiot driving drunk, there are STILL serious consequences for illegal and dangerous behavior in society. I look at the subjects death as a positive because they will never be able to potentially injure or kill an innocent party ever again, and it still serves as a deterrent for plenty of possible offenders.

Last edited:
SInce I spent my entire life going from No. New Jersey (nr. Hackensack) to Ticonderoga, NY I feel a kinship with everyone from New York.
There was a series of Sundays when I dropped a coworker off in Troy on my way north.
I would leave him at Marge's Bar (Tavern?).

I hope his injury is not too serious.

I'll skip all the questions regarding whether the creep was on drugs or "just" booze.
I also hope no political opportunists open their evil mouths.

There was a wigged out party who got himself shot near NJ Rt.3 (ramming police cars etc.) and the aforementioned lice came round.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I look at the subjects death as a positive because they will never be able to potentially injure or kill an innocent party ever again, and it still serves as a deterrent for plenty of possible offenders.

For once we agree.
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: faltic
http://news10.com/2016/04/17/police-involved-shooting-in-troy-hoosick-street-now-reopened/

Why did the officer place himself anywhere between an obviously dangerous suspects car and his own They had his car contained according to the story. The officer is supposed to be the trained professional and his laps of situational awareness cost a mans life.
What were the officers supposed to do? Sit in their cars and wait for him to handcuff himself? No, they got out of the car to arrest him.

This may be a newsflash to you, but cars have these things called engines and steering wheels which allows the driver to steer where they want to go and use a thing called a gas pedal that makes the engine make the car "go" and they can drive into things/people.

we had an exact situation like that in my town, probably 5-6 years ago. locals were in uproar saying the female driver had no weapon so why shoot, well a car is a weapon.. who would of thought.

hope he gets better.

http://news10.com/2016/04/17/police-involved-shooting-in-troy-hoosick-street-now-reopened/

Why did the officer place himself anywhere between an obviously dangerous suspects car and his own They had his car contained according to the story. The officer is supposed to be the trained professional and his laps of situational awareness cost a mans life.

Ah, a fellow public-schooler! I'd recognize that lack of reading comprehension anywhere...

I'm sorry your SIL was injured, but even sorrier that he was forced to make the choice to use his service weapon, and that it ended so tragically. I'm hope your SIL can receive support and therapy to help him deal with it, if need be.

With all due respect, unless you're a law enforcement officer who was on the scene at the time, your judgment is unfair and presumptuous.

In my opinion anyone who commits a crime is responsible for the results. If you rob a bank and someone died you are responsible whether you pulled the trigger are not you are guilty of murder. If you assault a police officer and someone died you are responsible and guilty of murder whether it's the officers or your own.

PS since the driver is dead I will forgive the DA if he chooses not to prosecute the driver for murder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
In my opinion anyone who commits a crime is responsible for the results. If you rob a bank and someone died you are responsible whether you pulled the trigger are not you are guilty of murder. If you assault a police officer and someone died you are responsible and guilty of murder whether it's the officers or your own.

PS since the driver is dead I will forgive the DA if he chooses not to prosecute the driver for murder.

Assigning blame to a person regardless of the facts isn't really healthy for a criminal justice system.

Originally Posted By: Donald

His life was clearly in danger, still a horrible situation.

I asked my father what if he killed anyone while in the Marines. He became uncomfortable, and said, "That's not really a good topic for conversation." When I asked him later, he said, "Yes, I killed several people or more. But you must understand.. I killed in war, son. I still have to live with that." I didn't get it then, but I think I get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back