Bashers against snake oil additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mr_blackstock

I am not sure everyone joins the forum to LEARN, or at least it seems that people once did, then decided what they were going to think about products, and decided to stop LEARNING and just make sure people only learn what they consider to be good FACTS. “Listening to these anecdotes also doesn't result in one gaining knowledge, as knowledge is based on fact.” You are wrong about anecdotes, people learn many things from other people’s experiences, and in many cases people use new products sometimes based solely on what their friends have said about it.

Using something because your buddy said it was "awesome sauce" is not what I would describe as learning. Rather this is simply parroting another's claims or mimicking their behaviour without a question as to why, nor taking pause to ponder the legitimacy and basis of any claims made. On the other hand, if Jimmy cuts his hand off with a chainsaw by being stupid, Rob can learn from that experience not to do what Jimmy did. You seem to be intentionally missing the difference here because you see my tone as patronising. Because I am not a fan of additives, anything I say here will be viewed in some "us versus them" light that completely eliminates the possibility of logical and thoughtful discussion.

People also use anecdotes and recommendations in regards to established oil company products as the many types can be confusing. Knowledge is NOT based on facts alone, this is very narrow minded thinking, and in all seriousness, I cannot imagine a single post in this sub-forum, that you would not have a beef with. It is almost like you just come in here to tell people they are wrong.

Established oil company advertising material may indeed have some anecdotes associated with it. However, it is also backed by industry standard tests and approvals that actually back-up the performance of the product. True knowledge is most certainly based on facts, what else is it based on? This is hardly narrow-minded, take off your blinders and perform some critical thinking here. The true narrow-mindedness is one thinking that they don't need evidence and facts as proof of performance and can simply use "feelings" and anecdotes as legitimate substitutes for those things. There are plenty of posts in this thread alone I don't have issue with, all of them made by people who identify with the idea that facts are required for proof of performance/proof of benefit.

I do not see how new members would feel confident bringing up any query in this sub-forum, as the slightest whiff of the mention “additive” brings out the flat earth society, all guns blazing!

Flat earth society? I think you have that reversed. We are relying on science, facts and proof whilst those peddling anecdotes, hyperbole, conjecture and make-believe are the flat earth society, dear sir.

Even when you think you are being even handed, you use language like “pandering”, “wizard in a can” and countless other derogatory remarks. Not to mention yourself describing new members need to hear from members who are “more analytical and [offer a] less cheerleading-oriented perspective”. So does this mean people who use additives are not analytical and over enthusiastic for a product? I am not sure, but I think you can get more patronising than this, maybe we still wear nappies?

Yes, new members deserve to be exposed to balanced input from all sides in order to make an informed decision. That means for every wild anecdote that the necessary questions regarding actual proof are posed. Anybody who blindly relies on marketing fluff and doesn't bother to dig for actual proof of performance is indeed not being analytical.

I started a TCW3 in your gas thread over @ LS1.Com years ago and I think it may still be going.
Bottom line is gasoline refiners add additives for EPA (winter,summer,environment) etc.
Engine manufacturers build to certain specs for longevity/maintenance/MPG et al.
Guberment add corn alcohol to our fuel cuz it makes them feel good about themselves.
Then you get us hobbyist.We try and get every ounce of performance or longevity/mileage out of our investments.
My take on all this additive conversation/emotion is simple.
It probably doesnt hurt a dad gum thing and if you realize a benefit then good for you. You dont have to analyze/deduce/document/test/analyze for a bunch of folks on the internet or anywhere else. If your mileage goes up or your engine is "smoother" then go in peace.
If you wish to share your experience then us hobbyist appreciate you doing that and we'll take it from there.
From my old TCW3 thread on LS1 I received thanks,offers to have me committed,doubts of my mental capacity to blow my own nose, working for WalMart....but far and away folks that did use it found benefits. Oh well.......

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I don't get the point of your post.

You are free to use anything you want in your vehicle, and report your honest experiences with any product.

If someone advises using this or that additive, it's not "bashing" to post and disagree, but there is a clear distinction between someone who uses a product and reports their experience versus counselling another BITOG member to use a product. There is a greater "Duty of Care" when you advise another to use a product, versus using it yourself.

It's not "bashing" to point out misleading or unsupported performance claims by a manufacturer.

Claims with valid evidence and supportable test data are always welcome.

I think the whole notion of the use of the word bashing is way off base.

Criticism of Claims verses actual Performance and Proof is called, analysis.

And when you bring up a product for discussion, it is a good idea to provide a link to the specific product, since many Third-Party and OTC additive companies make many products.

And try to discriminate between "engine cleaners'" and so-called "engine oil additives."

We can be happy if the additive does something positive. We can sometimes be even happier if the additive doesn't do anything.

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
I started a TCW3 in your gas thread over @ LS1.Com years ago and I think it may still be going.
Bottom line is gasoline refiners add additives for EPA (winter,summer,environment) etc.
Engine manufacturers build to certain specs for longevity/maintenance/MPG et al.
Guberment add corn alcohol to our fuel cuz it makes them feel good about themselves.
Then you get us hobbyist.We try and get every ounce of performance or longevity/mileage out of our investments.
It probably doesnt hurt a dad gum thing and if you realize a benefit then good for you. You dont have to analyze/deduce/document/test/analyze for a bunch of folks on the internet or anywhere else. If your mileage goes up or your engine is "smoother" then go in peace.
If you wish to share your experience then us hobbyist appreciate you doing that and we'll take it from there.
From my old TCW3 thread on LS1 I received thanks,offers to have me committed,doubts of my mental capacity to blow my own nose, working for WalMart....but far and away folks that did use it found benefits. Oh well.......

Nice to see you sarge.
That thread at ls1 is legendary and is why I started using tc-w3 in my fuel.
And still do.
Using mos2 in the oil and tc-w3 in the fuel I routinely get better than 20mpg in the winter in a 2001 c3 Sierra with awd and a 6.0 and my 06 charger gets 30mpg on the highway with a hemi

So unless my vehicles are anomalous the stuff does something

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i agree with mr blackstock!!!

I agree with Shannow.
grin2.gif

GOOR. You also know I AM correct

I AGREE, everybody
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Nice to see you sarge.
That thread at ls1 is legendary and is why I started using tc-w3 in my fuel.
And still do.
Using mos2 in the oil and tc-w3 in the fuel I routinely get better than 20mpg in the winter in a 2001 c3 Sierra with awd and a 6.0 and my 06 charger gets 30mpg on the highway with a hemi

So unless my vehicles are anomalous the stuff does something

Hey Clevy....hope your well. Nice to hear from you also.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hey Clevy- WELCOME BACK!!

Did he MIA ?

He was gone for a while, it's good to see him back.

Hi everyone,
New here, but just thought to comment on some tests I have done using Liqui Moly oil additives and bash a few ideas out.

Ceratec: Very good in UOA terms, BUT lots of users don't understand it does contain Moly, in addition to the Hex form of Boron Nitride. So it's a double act, although I doubt if the 100ppm rise I saw when added to a Moly free oil (Only half a can with 5 liters) is needed if the oil already contains Mo.
Ceratec does need using every OCI to be really effective, as their logevity claims are based on not changing the oil.

LM idle only flush additive (Not the drive around scourer):
Very effective IF you need it, BUT don't use it if you have oil leaks, as it will make them worse due to the false oil seal effect. In a bad sludge case LM say it's best to drop the pan and clean up the oil pump intake if practical, before trying their equivalent of Marvel MO.

Fuel additives: Only tried LM Diesel Purge a direct feed injection cleaner. It can also be used as a tank additive. Gained a few MPG, but not of any real statistical significance and there are other cheaper products around in the US.

If I had a radiator leak I might consider a Bars product and if I had an old Auto box I would look at Lubriguard box oil additives, but that's about it.

As regards other additive companies, BE CAREFUL! Some of the more looney ones do need bashing. Anyone can mix an oily brew and give an oily additive name, no standards or independent tests are required and the placaebo effect of new oil with snake potion X is very effective.

Last edited:
I just thought I would pipe in here - for two reasons, first because I have been away and seem to have missed a lively debate, and second because I have some thoughts about this subject:

First off - most serious aftermarket additive companies DO EMPLOY CHEMISTS of some kind. Typically chemical engineers, sometimes PhD's if they can afford them. In my experience, it's these guys that handle the technical support questions around some work. In some cases the companies rely more on their suppliers (especially if they buy materials from the big 4 additive companies) to provide them with some technical and formulating support.
To be clear: when I say "serious aftermarket additive" companies I am talking about the ones that produce formulated blends, and take existing formulas into account when making their products - these companies also are those that participate in major industry groups like the STLE.

Secondly - There is a big difference between the approach that commercial additives take to the OTC companies. In most cases OTC companies are tapping into a market where the vehicle owner feels he can't trust the "BIG" oil companies. They also have a tendency to gravitate towards novel technologies (some legitimate and some not) that become market trends (ie MoS2, Titanium, Boron, Nanotechnology etc). This approach may bring a commercially successful product but not necessarily a technically successful product - which is a big difference.

Thirdly - Molakule is right when he says that misuse of additives causes antagonism and can throw off the balance of an engine oil formulation. In performance formulations it is not a case of "if some is good more must be better" but it takes a delicate balance and real skill to create something that works. Chemists get really bent out of shape when some random guy starts screwing around with their formula - and rightly so.

Fourth - All current engine oil formulas are developed to meet a standard - that may be the API specification, some specific requirements set by an OEM partner (ie Dexos or VW engine oils) or to demonstrate a perceived marketing advantage (ie GTL for Pennzoil Platinum). That doesn't mean that the formula is perfect or could not be improved on - although there are a lot of formulators who would disagree because they work hard to optimize the final blend for performance and cost. Improving on a formula is specific to each blend and the operating conditions of an engine.

Lastly - and this is the MAIN issue that anyone who works in this industry takes with OTC Additive companies: These companies are not held to the same rigors for product claims that oil marketers are. You can put almost anything on a bottle and until someone challenges you, it's easy to get away with it. These companies often refuse to defend their work or to subject their products to the rigorous industry standardized tests like the ASTM required bench tests or the Engine Sequence tests required by the industry. The main reason for this is because these tests are expensive. It can cost upwards of $2M to develop and test a new engine oil formula. Most OTC companies simply don't have the resources to put in that kind of testing. So they don't and are rightly criticized for it. Also there are some unscrupulous companies that use these market conditions to sell you products that at best do nothing for you and at worst can cause serious damage to your engine.

Unfortunately to be a successful OTC additive company you have to be excellent at marketing and it doesn't matter how good of a chemist you may be. AND on top of that - those that do try to be effective chemists typically don't have the resources to defend their work or are not savvy enough as marketers gain mainstream adoption.

Excellent post from Solarent.
In practice the biggest fork ups I have seen from using engine oil additives has been caused by either too much thickners (Engine went boink just after a very cold start due to lack of flow), using a flush additive in a leaky oil drinker (It ran out of oil) and using a drive around flush like MMO or LM scourer in a badly sludged engine (Turbo bearings failed due to blocked oil filter and thinners in the additive). Oddly enough LM do warn you in the TDS of their version of MMO to keep the revs low whilst in use, which stops the turbo doing some biblical RPM just as it drinks a load of sludge into the oil pump feed, causing a drop in oil pressure.

I would never use them in an engine under warranty without written permission from the dealer, as they do know how to wiggle out of a warranty or guarantee claim.

Last edited:
I like to hear people's personal experiences with products and the results. I only post on my personal experiences and growing up in Pennsylvania, I had many "Winter Bombs" to experiment with. I takeca product much more on a personal claim or a experience than I do a "Amsoil Scientific Results". Most of the time that is what the naysayers boast on. The " Snake Oils" I use only came from trusted people or from personal experience. That's what people should talk about. Leave science out of it.

Last post was June of last year. It is due for a fresh post from you. I'm sure there are a lot of members there that miss you!

All our super smart folks here should realize the sheer number of cars and trucks on the road, each running a unique duty cycle, pretty much guarantee that the famous BIToG mantra of "one great oil for all" will fall short somewhere.

Additives do have a place. Example: Kreen is a marvelous one, but due to the nature of the product it is likely to be used in hopeless cases thus it will get some bad press.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I like to hear people's personal experiences with products and the results. I only post on my personal experiences and growing up in Pennsylvania, I had many "Winter Bombs" to experiment with. I takeca product much more on a personal claim or a experience than I do a "Amsoil Scientific Results". Most of the time that is what the naysayers boast on. The " Snake Oils" I use only came from trusted people or from personal experience. That's what people should talk about. Leave science out of it.

I suppose you would have been right there back in the day when people swore radium-infused water cured all sorts of ills, right?

Likewise do you believe those on this board that claim ND oils are the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back