What did Putin hope to accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Re: What did Putin hope to accomplish? ]

Chest-pounding....... which is pretty easy and boastful when going toe-to-toe with the wimpy Barack.

Putin's the GearHeadTool of the world stage... driving 85 MPH in a [censored] volvo that's about to throw a rod to show off to two ladies he's giving a ride down the Atlantic Seaboard.

It works until it doesn't work.

Our real issues are China and Global Warming and Mr. Obama, one of the finest Presidents we've had in a while, is quietly on it. We'll appreciate his legacy in time.

Originally Posted By: Al

The situation is now more dangerous bc Putin will continue to escalate to the point of a mis-calculation. Coming like a freight train.

I agree, if Putin keeps swinging his dong , a pilot will make a mistake flying close to aircraft and an incident will happen.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
AFAIK, they used to do (very high altitude) fly-overs with the SR-71 all the time. The Ruskies didn't have anything that could catch one so it didn't matter.

That game came to an abrupt end after Gary Powers got shot down.

Gary Francis Powers was in a U2, not an SR71.

I believe it was that incident that spawned or helped speed up SR71 development.

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
AFAIK, they used to do (very high altitude) fly-overs with the SR-71 all the time. The Ruskies didn't have anything that could catch one so it didn't matter.

The A-12/SR-71 was the outcome of a program that started before the Gary Powers/U2 incident, but the incident probably helped it along.

That incident also led to an agreement with the USSR that we wouldn't fly manned flights over their territory. I've heard we violated that agreement several times, but the SR-71s largely just flew around the edges of Soviet territory with extremely long-range side-facing cameras and got (most of) the intel we wanted anyway.

Everyone is by now aware that a couple of Russian Su-24s buzzed an American destroyer in international waters while a Russian helo stood nearby, maybe enjoying a Kodak moment.
Our Secretary of State is on record as having said that the commander of the American ship would have been within his rights to have destroyed the Russian aircraft.
Two questions.
Why did the commander of the Donald Cook show so much restraint?
Everyone is well aware that the Cook could have easily splashed the two Sukhois and this would have been justified since they clearly showed hostile intent whether they were carrying underwing missiles of not.
This is a strange incident in my view. No real gain for the Russians and I can't see what the US achieved in showing such great restraint.
What do all of you think of this episode in the continuing saga of Russian provocation of the West?

Russian provocation?

Isn't that ship in the Baltic Sea?
Exactly why is America there?
Let's for example put a Russian warship off the coast of California. Think it would get buzzed by an American plane?
As far as I'm concerned America needs to worry about herself. She ain't the world police and since assuming that role look at the disaster it's been party to.
I'm glad Russia is pushing back. Enough it enough
And Russia isn the only nation that's had it with American bullying er I mean foreign policy. The entire planet has pretty much had it.
The world cleans up the mess in the Middle East because of this absurd war on terror. From where I stand America is the terrorist,invading sovereign nations for pipelines.
Robert Kennedy Jr. Was interviewed on YouTube about a month ago. You want the truth about Syria,and the Middle East nonsense watch that video. He spells it out in no uncertain terms.
America is a glass house. With a houseful of little kids throwing stones.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Everyone is by now aware that a couple of Russian Su-24s buzzed an American destroyer in international waters while a Russian helo stood nearby, maybe enjoying a Kodak moment.
Our Secretary of State is on record as having said that the commander of the American ship would have been within his rights to have destroyed the Russian aircraft.
Two questions.
Everyone is well aware that the Cook could have easily splashed the two Sukhois and this would have been justified since they clearly showed hostile intent whether they were carrying underwing missiles of not.
This is a strange incident in my view. No real gain for the Russians and I can't see what the US achieved in showing such great restraint.
What do all of you think of this episode in the continuing saga of Russian provocation of the West?

Russian provocation?

Let's for example put a Russian warship off the coast of California. Think it would get buzzed by an American plane?
As far as I'm concerned America needs to worry about herself. She ain't the world police and since assuming that role look at the disaster it's been party to.
And Russia isn the only nation that's had it with American bullying er I mean foreign policy. The entire planet has pretty much had it.
The world cleans up the mess in the Middle East because of this absurd war on terror. From where I stand America is the terrorist,invading sovereign nations for pipelines.
Robert Kennedy Jr. Was interviewed on YouTube about a month ago. You want the truth about Syria,and the Middle East nonsense watch that video. He spells it out in no uncertain terms.

Very well put together. Nice to see you back Clevy.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Right, my bad. Must've misconscrewed that under the mental heading of "Manned USSR Overflight Reconnaissance."
confused.gif

Two questions.

Russian provocation?

Way off the mark.

Does Russia OWN the Baltic? Are you trying to say that no other nation can have a ship in the Baltic but Russia? We were in the Baltic supporting an ally. 70 miles off the coast...well beyond any threat to Russia in a maritime sense and perfectly legal.

The U.S. needs to be a global force. The days of isolationism went out before WW1. It's not about being a "police force"....we support our allies and they support us. Why do you think that the Russians haven't nuked Europe in the past 60 years? And if we weren't in Europe AND had alliances through NATO and other forms of cooperation....all of Europe would have been communist a long time ago. Who/why do you think the former Soviet Union fell apart?

You're "glad" Russia is pushing back? Unbelievable. Do you have any idea what Russia would do without the U.S. in the world?? Obviously not.

American "bullying"? Right....the Russians have never bullied anyone, right? They didn't starve to death millions of their own people then? Okay...sure. You actually see the U.S as a terrorist nation? That's so laughable. You discount Iran then?

You're obvious distaste for the U.S. and our history of fighting back and defeating tyranny time and time again....is sickening.

Robert Kennedy Jr. Was interviewed on YouTube about a month ago.

Got a link for that? I just did a YouTube search for "robert kennedy jr. interview" and found some non-specific fake news blurb about a Syrian truth bomb. There were no references or cites to anything specific, just the familiar old rant about corporate interests in something like a pipeline that doesn't exist, the specifics of which nobody ever heard of.

If that's the support for your anti-American rant, I'm not buying it.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Does Russia OWN the Baltic? Are you trying to say that no other nation can have a ship in the Baltic but Russia? We were in the Baltic supporting an ally. 70 miles off the coast...well beyond any threat to Russia in a maritime sense and perfectly legal.

The U.S. needs to be a global force. The days of isolationism went out before WW1. It's not about being a "police force"....we support our allies and they support us. Why do you think that the Russians haven't nuked Europe in the past 60 years? And if we weren't in Europe AND had alliances through NATO and other forms of cooperation....all of Europe would have been communist a long time ago. Who/why do you think the former Soviet Union fell apart?

You're "glad" Russia is pushing back? Unbelievable. Do you have any idea what Russia would do without the U.S. in the world?? Obviously not.

American "bullying"? Right....the Russians have never bullied anyone, right? They didn't starve to death millions of their own people then? Okay...sure. You actually see the U.S as a terrorist nation? That's so laughable. You discount Iran then?

You're obvious distaste for the U.S. and our history of fighting back and defeating tyranny time and time again....is sickening.
Couldn't have said it better. You are obviously talking to someone who hates America, or was educated in California...or another country.

Funny all these people love to reap the benefits that they enjoy here and have zero thought or conviction to leave.

Last edited:
Robert Kennedy Jr. Was interviewed on YouTube about a month ago.

Got a link for that? I just did a YouTube search for "robert kennedy jr. interview" and found some non-specific fake news blurb about a Syrian truth bomb. There were no references or cites to anything specific, just the familiar old rant about corporate interests in something like a pipeline that doesn't exist, the specifics of which nobody ever heard of.

If that's the support for your anti-American rant, I'm not buying it.

With many in this country...the mere mention of the name "Kennedy" cause a tingle to flow down the leg. Mythical hogwash. The amusing part is if JFK was in the White House, even he had more common sense and patriotism than the current community organizer (who, oddly enough, can't seem to organize anything).

Originally Posted By: Al

Couldn't have said it better. You are obviously talking to someone who hates America, or was educated in California...or another country.

Funny all these people love to reap the benefits that they enjoy here and have zero thought or conviction to leave.

That's because they haven't got the guts to leave.

Armchair bravado....nothing more.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

I believe it was that incident that spawned or helped speed up SR71 development.

thumbsup2.gif

Different folks have different ways of compensating for their complexes.. we have room for everybody it seems. Anti-Americanism is a wonderful cement and glue that Soviets used in past in Europe and Latin America with great success. Even our cousins from former Metropoly and her Dominions are not immune from this, in spite of the fact that they wouldn't have survived without US. They equalise Russia to US in their flawed argumentation..

..the mere mention of the name "Kennedy" cause a tingle to flow down the leg. Mythical hogwash. The amusing part is if JFK was in the White House, even he had more common sense and patriotism than the current community organizer (who, oddly enough, can't seem to organize anything).

Well Kennedy inspired the country, was a war hero beyond, being a war hero. I assume you read his Inaugural address. He meant every word of it. And he backed the Russians down in spite knowing that the USSR had nukes comparable to us. I shudder to think how the Community Organiser would (not) have handled it.

I know some folks that were on the boomers in '62. To a man they adored him.
And yes I know the other side of JFK. I have read "Jack" by Perret.

There is a real mis-interpretation of what these confrontational events are about. They are NOT about US-Russia relations. They are maskirovka (misdirection) aimed at distracting the Russian populace from paying too much attention to the Panama Papers. Or perhaps setting the stage for a renewed spring push from their stalled invasion of Ukraine, or prepping for a new one against the trans-Dniester/Transnistria breakaway region, or perhaps Moldova proper. The spring campaigning season in eastern Europe is fast approaching and Putin may be laying the propaganda groundwork for this year's small war.

By creating these events, the fascist Kremlin/KGB kleptocracy can re-direct the people's attention from exposure of their crimes revealed in the Panama Papers, and towards chest-thumping nationalist mania. Or to set the ground work for new crimes. It's standard practice of theirs, and they employed it constantly - for example the Bear bombers pushing against UK and US airspace as they were invading Crimea.

In my opinion, it is primarily meant for domestic consumption and not anything directly to do with US/Russia relations. We just happen to have military assets nearby they can use as handy props for their newest upcoming aggression.

Actually pretty charmingly naïve.
Putin is leading his nation to the same sort of disaster that the loss of the Cold War precipitated for the USSR.
The USSR was never the moral equivalent of the West and Putin's kleptocracy is even less so.
Also, it isn't Russia versus the US. It is rather Russia versus the West as a whole.
Every nation of the West is allied with the US while Russia has no allies.
It will be amusing when the Chinese start squeezing an impoverished Russia on natural gas prices as they inevitably will.

One thing to remember about Russians, throughout history they have suffered pretty horrible circumstances and yet they survived and prevailed...American hardships are really minor when compared. They may be "economically" impoverished, however they are strong where it counts. The globalists know this and grudgingly respect that fact, but because of their predatory nature will continue to poke and prod the bear. That is dangerous.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
One thing to remember about Russians, throughout history they have suffered pretty horrible circumstances and yet they survived and prevailed...American hardships are really minor when compared. They may be "economically" impoverished, however they are strong where it counts. The globalists know this and grudgingly respect that fact, but because of their predatory nature will continue to poke and prod the bear. That is dangerous.

You are comparing societies of vastly different ages here. Russian history starts "officially" at 862AD. Canada was not a country officially until 1867, the US in 1776. That's 1,000 freakin' years! Even if we go back to colonization periods, Columbus was 1492, but the Brits and French, where most of our North American heritage comes from, wasn't until the 1600's, leaving us with an 800 year window.

Basically, our countries have a 2-300 year past in functioning as independent nations whilst Russia has 1,200 years. The Mongols invaded Rus' 400 years before our ancestors were even on this continent!

That's a bit of a "cliff notes" version and I know it is not that simple but North America simply has not the history (of those discussing it, we are talking present Euro-based non-indigenous here) that Europe and Russia has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back