Battery Charger recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You could probably benefit from the 20 amp version if you're charging 4D batteries

Yea I ordered the 20amp when the price came down. I have other batteries the 6amp is more ideal for small engines is the reason I picked up the 10amp.

One thing I notice on the 24F is it stayed at 15.5v for about 8 hours battery started get warm. It drop down to 15.4v now battery is cooler. I'll see how the battery comes out leave it hooked up for at least 3 days. I think one of the cell is damage very little bubbles. Battery does need replaced just curious how well the Pro-Logix recondition the battery. Only draw back with the Pro-Logix is there no manual switch to recondition it at 15.5v it does that automatically depending on the condition of the battery.

If it's got a bad cell the one cell should get really hot while the other sides are cool to the touch. After the charger indicates full if the resting voltage falls below 11 volts it's probably ready to be used for a core charge.

Battery is gone bad cell is what I had suspected(error light). Well the reconditioning stage with the blinking orange light charged it at 15.5v I haven't seen it go on before which I thought it would with the 4D battery as it pretty sulfated. It's a seasonal application that may sit for 2 months at time.

I think the desulfator is no miracle healer might be over rated. Wanted to see how the Pro-Logix charger works. It charges fast at 10amp for normal batteries for the 4D the 20amp should fit the bill.

All in all I'm please with the Pro-Logix charger does an excellent job for my applications.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
Snap On Battery Charger Plus part number: EEBC500

Great battery charger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJEtza6cb6c

https://store.snapon.com/Battery-Charger-Plus--Battery-Charger-Plus-trade--P647677.aspx

That's a pretty expensive charger nearly $800, I think your paying mostly for the brand name.

For less than half the cost you can get a very similar pro Logix wheeled model with the same 60 amp settings and an extra 40 amp setting too, 5/15/40/60+275 boost compared to snap ons 4/15/60+300 boost.

SOLAR PL3730 PRO-LOGIX 6V/12V Intelligent Wheeled Charger with Engine Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TC8I4A/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_qF-cxbQ1RVNZC

I've used the Rizk National CH110 for many years for 4D batteries. On the slow setting it's 80amps but it adjust accordingly with the battery.

I could never get this 7 year battery to hold any power with the RN charger. It chargers at 15.5v and stays there. Initial amps 25 low 8amp never goes down to the 2amp trickle. I'd charge it 6 hours at a time as battery tend to heat up losing some water in the process. I did this for 5 days.

So for kicks I hooked up the PL2310 left it on for 3 days. Went through the cycle. Now 2 days ago I tried the CH110 charger at 80% charge. Initial 21amps at 15.5v. After 3 hours quickly down to 8amps still 15.5v. The Pro-Logix did something to the battery no question it could never charge the battery this quickly before down to 8 amps with the RN charger.

Now the 4D battery is holding true power better than the Pro-Logix what gives I needed the PL2310 to get the battery to what it is. Presently I'm using the CH110 to charge the 4D battery a 3 hour charge to 8amps at 15.5v. When hooking up the PL2310 it states 100% charge.

I have the pro-logix 2320 and has served me well.
This morning I hooked it up to my 6 V garden tractor battery, outside the tractor with a lead on the negative, and I'm getting an error code. However after searching the web, I cannot find a list of codes and there's nothing in the manual.

Can't press any buttons, no flashing lights or other errors other than below.
Battery issue? Buying a new one today regardless as it was a PITA last year and is 7-8 years old.

Error is
OUP
or
0UP

thanks

Last edited:
Forget I asked. It is voltage protection. I was dumb and put it on 6 V, it is a 12 V battery. I needed a new battery anyway. Was always going dead last year, even though I would charge it at least every few weeks

Purchased one at Walmart, 230 CCA, original was 340. I don't use it in the winter so I'm not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back