good deal on ms 640 smartphone/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I'm with Boost, still not happy with voicemail and other functions, will buy a cheap 640 and jump to cricket or metro. I have seen 640's from FREE to $59, suggestions on who is cheapest. BTW amazon had a 128 gig micro sd card for $29. great price. Thanks!

you are looking for a good deal?
you forgot to post a link to a good deal?

Cricket is AT&T towers so much better than T-mobile

let alone metro PCS

Cricket has the lumia 640(what I think you were referring to)
for 39.99$ if you transfer service to them.

Please, Ill only post once :eek:) ... promise.
Whatever you do, do not use anyone but Cricket. Trust me/us.

1. AT&T bought and owns Cricket a few years ago. You get ATT service, ATT towers, ATT call Quality. Again, Cricket is AT&T.

2. Cricket pricing is the most honest in the industry. Its AMAZING and no one else does it, amazing that Americans put up with other types of pricing.
With Cricket, the price you see is the price you get! Cricket prices INCLUDE ALL TAXES and ALL FEES, there is NEVER an add on cost, NEVER a roaming charge, NEVER an overage charge, NEVER ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES.

3. So with autopay, your monthly bill for one line is truly, $35 a month, ACTUAL PAYMENT. UNLIMITED DATA, UNLIMITED TALK, UNLIMITED TEXT.

4. The more phones you add to your plan, the CHEAPER yet the monthly fee per phone becomes.
If you get the Maximum 5 lines and 5 phones for your account, the TOTAL MONTHLY COST, TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT for 5 lines, unlimited everything, is $100.

5. To get the best deals on phones, its always best to go to Crickets Website, as if you go in a Cricket store the phones will be a little more, as the store does have to make money.

6. If you go to cricketwireless.com the activation and shipping to your house is free too!
Geez, it really doesnt get any more easy and honest.

7. Best part is, there is NO CONTRACT! You can drop them anytime after the first two months and I think they still give you the first 14 days to try the service out. (just verify, its been a while)

8. I think we have now been with Cricket 1.5 years, 3 lines $90 a month, actual payment, never an additional charge for anything.

We only have use for the 3 lines, for $10 more we can add a 4th line and if we add a 4th line, the 5th line is free *L*

Here is Crickets Website - best pricing

BTW, The Lumia is a FANTASTIC phone, just fantastic, using it for 1.5 years now, its been flawless, love it.
Im a tech guy, (security systems) in fact I use and install ATT and Verizon cell units in security systems all day long all over the state and surrounding states.

Anyway, my company gives me an Iphone and Ipad with Verizon cell service, I MUCH prefer my personal Lumia phone over the iphone.

Cricket/ATT cell service works just as good as Verizon, sometimes I will be in a area where ATT works better, sometimes I will be in an area where Verizon works better, 99% of the time they both work equal.. the other 1% I MIGHT give to Verizon. It really depends and is VERY close.

Last edited:
As much as I liked my Windows Phones (Had a Lumia 900, and then a Lumia 925), the platform is dying a slow death. Having used the platform for over 4 years, and recently switching to an android phone, I find myself asking why I waited so long.

The app situation was bad, and was getting worse. The super basic apps were present, but being completely honest, did not work nearly as well as those on the android platform. Telling when Microsoft's own apps work better on Android than they do on their own phones...

The overall operating system was great. There were certain things it dealt with better than any other system (like calendar and task integration).

If you use your phone as a phone, fine. Beyond that, I'd be looking elsewhere... My 2 cents...

I have owned Lumias for years and I recently tried a Moto E for over a month just to see "what I was missing." Frankly, I ran back to my Lumia 635 and now my Lumia 640. Yes, there are many more apps available on Android for every little thing, but it is often hard to find an app that even works for some things. Seriously, some of the apps just don't function, making me nervous their true purpose was to install malware or something. I found the basic Microsoft apps work much better on the Lumia, especially running W10. Syncing and compatibility between all of the Office programs I use at work and a W10 phone works perfectly and smoothly. Our company recently installed a new Cisco VPN and the security app is available for my phone too. The camera on the 640 is very usable, while the Moto E camera provides just painful quality--barely good enough for social media if taken in the bright sun. Security on the Windows side is good, while Android is just a joke: no updates for many phones, tons of malware floating around.

By the way, check out PureTalk running on the AT&T network for lower usage scenarios. I pay $29 per month with 1GB of data, which is more than enough for me. Full LTE speeds (Cricket throttles speed), no taxes or fees, good US-based customer service that actually fixes things via the phone, no gimmicks or gotchas.

Last edited:
No idea on the Moto E. Don't own one - I run a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active. The Moto E is now about 2 generations behind the top of the line phones.

I Don't own one - I run a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active. Camera is excellent - better than the "excellent" one on my Lumia.

My experience with the Microsoft apps unfortunately differs from yours. They flat out work on my Android. Can't say the same on the Lumia. Way too many features not available or disabled. Excel in particular. No, a phone is not an ideal device to work on spreadsheets, but at least I can on this phone. Integration through onedrive is seamless. IT here likes the windows phone for the integration into the network, and the users hate them for the rest of their limitations.

My one gripe with Microsoft is that Outlook for Android does not seamlessly integrate tasks that I use on office365. Surprising they have not figured it out - a glaring difference between the Microsoft way and the google way. (No matter though, I have another app that handles the issue seamlessly...)

As far as the other apps, yes, there are ten bazillion apps for android, most of which are worthless and may contain malware. Stick to the ones that are mainstream and that is a non-issue. There isn't one app I use on this phone that was better on the Lumia (if it was even available) - and that is a fact.

Beyond that its too bad - I really, really liked the operating system. Got tired of waiting for things to get better - they never did. Apps that had been supported weren't anymore. Apps that used to work, stopped, and there were no plans to update them. Reading the tea leaves from Microsoft and it doesn't paint a rosy picture for the platforms future...

Does Pure Talk include tax? With Cricket its included and 2.5 gigs of 4g speed @ $35 month with autopay, you never run out of data, if in the unlikely even you do more then 2.5 gigs PER line, it just slows down. My college age daughter doesnt even use 2.5 but if you need more, you can, its all on the website.

BTW - I completely agree on your view of the Lumia, never will own an android (or iphone) if Windows keeps producing phones. I know, my wife and daughter have Andriods, for everyday use, hands down my Lumia wins, including Cortana, she works much better (and sounds/speaks better), everything is better intergrated instead of a mismarsh of apps.

If your are apps crazy, yes, I will agree, Android has more but it is what it is, The OP was asking about reasonably priced phones for less then $100 and Lumia rocks. Once again, for all the people with contracts your stuck with whatever you have, with no contract you can drop them anytime if you dont like.

Last edited:
Your comparing a Samsung Galaxy 6 that is hundreds of dollars more then the Lumia the OP is asking about. If he agrees with you he can throw out the Lumia, its so reasonably priced and buy a different one. But he wont because he will like it.

Last edited:
PureTalk's prices include all taxes and fees. The Moto E LTE I own is the early 2015 model, so it is not that out of date. Yes, it is a lower priced phone which I would consider in a comparable class to the Lumia 640. Sure, if you want compare a high-end Android to a low-end Lumia, but the OP was looking for a "good deal." By the way, the Moto E is a great phone for the price. Very solid construction, decent screen and performance, nice Moto software, runs Lollipop, works very well as a communication device. It's main shortfall is the camera. If you decide against going Windows I highly recommend the Moto E in the value segment.

The one area where my Lumia 635 outperformed the Nexus 4 it replaced 18 months ago was integration with my car stereo's BT connection for making and receiving calls and texts. Cortana was simply superior to any of the Android assistants at doing what I needed it to do.

Receiving a text: Cortana says, "You have a text from [contact name or non-contact phone number]. Should I read it or ignore it?" Then it follows my voice command. After reading, it asks, "Do you want to reply, call back, or are you done?" and follows my commands from there, including dictating a text.

Receiving a phone call: The phone rings through my stereo speakers, and I press one button on the face of the stereo to answer.

Sending a text: Press the same button as receiving a phone call, and wait for the voice recognition tone. Voice controls take it from there.

Making a call: Same as making a text.

When I bought my Lumia 18 months ago, there was no Android assistant app that did all, or even most, of that.

I do agree with the post above about Excel - I've noticed that if I edit a spreadsheet in LibreOffice on my laptop running Linux Mint, then my phone simply will not open the file afterward. It claims not to recognize the file type. Spreadsheets created and edited only in Windows are fine. The office suite on the Android tablet in the garage and on my Kindle Fire have no problem, regardless of what program I used to create or edit.

It's really a trade-off. For me, the ease of in-car communications on my 60-mile round trip commute is more important than being able to open a spreadsheet. I want my phone to function first and foremost as a phone. E-mail is a good feature, and Outlook is excellent with my work e-mail & schedule. Facebook, web browsing, and other apps are nice to have. While they're useful, they're really secondary for me.

I know some people have different priorities and want more or different things out of their phones, and in those cases, a low-end Windows Phone may not be what suits them best.

Well said, what stuck me most was Cortana, you are so correct.
My wife and daughter use Samsung s4, my windows phone Cortana is superior, my wife always amazed.
I travel about 1000 miles a week, when texting I use Cortana 80% of the time if not more, she also has a better voice. I also prefer Cortana to Iphone Siri. Cortana i the most fluid and best sounding.

I do wonder if microsoft will stay in the phone game but I cant see how they can not, I dont think they have a choice. But either way, is not a consideration when buying a phone because we never know what will be the "thing" and from what company looking forward.

My wife really liked her MotoG. But then around Black Friday she bought the Samsung S4 for $99 on Cricket. Another thing about Cricket, you can change phones whenever you want to upgrade.
As there is no contract, meaning service is just 30 days at a time, so in reality, every thirty days you are a new customer. You can switch, swap, change phones anytime, every thirty days if you wanted.
Or ... if your good, since almost all ATT phones have SIM cards, you can play around swapping phones you buy elsewhere, even ebay.
Heck, in fact you can just buy the SIM card from Cricket and get your own phone or phones.

Last edited:
And if you get an at&t brand phone .. you have to put up with their bloatware but get access to their thousands of hotspots that arent "open" but work with their phones

I find it curious that you say cricket data is speed limited but you don't even use 1GB

why would you need 25mbit+ connection if you never use it.

FWIW the 8mbit throttling on cricket isnt noticeable.
unless you are updating large apps etc.. which I do on wifi.

I'd rather have 2.5GB@8mbit/sec than 1GB@25mbit.

I wanted to like tmobile but their service is terrible here. Now with band 12 at least you dont drop until you get to the back of stores .. where before you had 1 bar walking in the entrance and 2-3 in parking lots.

Sprint is 3-4 bars.. both are definitely lower tier than AT&T or verizon networks here.

I wanted to go google FI or any number of other options but the whole tax and fees not included turd ruins the deal.

Kind of like buying cable tv "39.99" but your bill is 73$

Its nice not to have data anxiety as well.
2.5GB is plenty and if I screw up and hit the cap it just slows down.. Doesnt stop, doesnt throw on a 10$/GB fee or any shenanigans.

Hadn't been back in here in a while...

Yep, the 640 is a cheaper phone than an S6. If you just want a phone that works as a phone, sure, go for it. If you want what Cortana offers, go for it.

More telling though are statements from Microsoft itself. Windows phone isn't a priority. They keep saying we promise things will get better. What exactly is a windows phone flagship anymore? Having owned a Lumia 900, and then a 925, the current 950 is a joke. The future is awfully dim... Windows phone sales were down dramatically - quarter to quarter and particularly compared to last year. Even the most die hard platform defenders are jumping ship. I was one of them.

Having left it, I can honestly say there is little I miss. Volume controls are a mess on the S6. Honestly though, that is my biggest complaint.

Also ironic that our IT department went whole hog on putting people on Windows Phones, only to have the phone they were using become no longer availible - and there is no Windows phone replacement on their carrier. Oops... Now its Iphones for everyone...

Not every product is for everyone or else there would be only one product in the world for everything we use.
I do hope Windows keeps marketing phones, I LOVE mine. I dont see how they can not.

AS far as your company carrier, well, that is their issue.

Technology changes companies, flavor of the day becomes the past, personally I think Apple is going that way now, first sales decline EVER in IPhones last quarter for Apple. I use a work related iphone all day long, hate it.

and believe it or not, some day, some new flavor will overtake Samsung ... and life goes on.

But none of this is related to the OP. The OP is thinking of going with Cricket, $50 for a Lumia 640 is an amazing phone and nothing in that price range comes close, as I stated, like it better then my work iphone and with Cricket the OP can change phones ANYTIME he wants, there is NO contract and heck, some people who spend more on phones, spend $50 on a case for it, here your getting the whole phone! *LOL* The guy could throw away the Lumia 640 if he didnt like it in a month or two and buy a different phone!
BTW if your stuck on the andriod system moto g is a good phone and Samsung s4 a good deal and ... with Cricket you can buy ANY phone on the market if the OP wants.

Last edited:
well, still have the 635, but getting close to the end. with bringing over an old phone number, the lumia 640 is ten dollars. the new 650 is $120, sure looks awfully similar to the 640, plus cricket costs seem decent. hate the cricket web site.

a cricket dealer is right down the street. is it the same price as on line? of course I will buy cases, sd cards, etc. elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back