10W-40+ Moly+Boron=?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil fits that bill. Defy used to suit it, in 10W-40, but alas, it appears they've axed it. I'm thinking it's Pennzoil HM, and that would be fine. How long will PHM remain a traditional, additive loaded, thick for grade HM oil? Time will tell? Discuss please.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 has exactly that, and it's formulated with moly+Boron as well as higher levels of ZDDP than some other comparable oils.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I forgot to mention I'm looking for a non synthetic. Although M1 HM does tempt me.

Give it a try. It has an agressive rebate right now ($12/5 qt jug) so it will be cheaper than any conventional in the end.

I am using it in my SUV right now and the engine has NEVER run this smoothly in the 40k miles and other oils (Rotella, Delvac HDEOs, PP, other quality oils) I've used. The add pack is impressive, and the HTHS is 3.9. I did a lot of research for the "right" 10w-40 and settled on it; and I will use it again and likely in my Audi, too. Her Lexus will next get the 10w-30 variant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I forgot to mention I'm looking for a non synthetic. Although M1 HM does tempt me.

Give it a try. It has an agressive rebate right now ($12/5 qt jug) so it will be cheaper than any conventional in the end.

I am using it in my SUV right now and the engine has NEVER run this smoothly in the 40k miles and other oils (Rotella, Delvac HDEOs, PP, other quality oils) I've used. The add pack is impressive, and the HTHS is 3.9. I did a lot of research for the "right" 10w-40 and settled on it; and I will use it again and likely in my Audi, too. Her Lexus will next get the 10w-30 variant.

The $12 rebate is for synthetic. It's $7 for dino. Still a good deal. Also havoline is running a $5 rebate per 5 qt jug.

Hmm, I'm looking at this for a winter fill, and a full synthetic 10W-40 would flow nicely in my climate. I'm using QSGB 20W-50 right now, but want to switch to 10W-40 in the winter. I may just stay with it if it works nicely, as 10W-40 is probably my favorite grade. I know there's much praise for M1 HM here, and I do like that it is non ILSAC and high in anti-wear additives.

I think I'm going to simplify things and run either Supertech or Travellers 15W-40. The Moly and Boron aren't as high as Delo or Delvac 15W-40, but the zinc, phosphorus, and calcium are nice, especially for a store branded oil that's often had cheap.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3812739/1/'15_6.7_Powerstroke_UOA

look at the john deere oil.

Moly, boron, and no VII

Assuming the 15W-40 has the same add pack as the 10W-30 sample presented, that's a stout oil indeed. I'm very impressed. Any idea who blends it? I'm guessing Shell.

I think I'm going to simplify things and run either Supertech or Travellers 15W-40. The Moly and Boron aren't as high as Delo or Delvac 15W-40, but the zinc, phosphorus, and calcium are nice, especially for a store branded oil that's often had cheap.

You probably can't do bad with that. BUT, consider this: head-to-head, the Supertech, has 2/3rds the Z and P of the M1 HM, and zilch Moly or Boron. It's got a much lower TBN (~ 12 vs 8). And it's more expensive than the M1 HM at walmart after the M1 rebate for 5 quarts (10.88/5qts vs 9.44/gal). Couple that with the fact you can run the M1 longer an OCI, you save a fair bit with it. Plus, it's a lot more suitable as a year-round oil than a 15w. My car in my mild climate does not like 15w in the winter with 30F starts. There's a much bigger gap at lower those kind of temps with 10w vs 15w than the gap/difference 5w vs 10w. This is from an SAE paper using major brand (not disclosed) oils. Temps are in F:

In Alabama, or WA where I live, I'd put on a Fram tough-guard, Motorcraft, or similar filter and run the M1 HM 7,000 miles year-round in a healthy engine. I would not do that with any dino 15w-40.

Last edited:
My driving situation may be changing soon to require severe service drain intervals, and I'd hate to dump full syn every 4K miles. Also, the Mobil rebate is temporary, and the ST 15W-40 price is everyday. So, that's the argument for the 15W-40.

Your points are well received though, and even at regular WM pricing for M1 HM, it's hard to beat as far as specs and add pack. The M1 HM does call to me. Regardless of oil choice, I'm using Napa Gold 1069 oil filters

Do you have a link? I went to PQIA's website, but couldn't figure out how to find the 10W-40 grade specifically.

PQIA VOA of Castrol GTX 10W-40

http://www.pqiadata.org/CastrolGTX10W40.html

TBN = 7.3
Noack = 11.0
Zinc = 860 ppm
Moly = 85 ppm
Boron = 166 ppm

That's a good Noack volatility for a regular mineral oil, and decent Boron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back