Fram Ultra vs Purolator BOSS - Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody cut open one of the new Purolator BOSS filters? I saw some posts just comparing the externals of the filter but nothing about the internal construction. What is the consensus on the new filters and do they seem pretty good?

If there has been one, can somebody point me to that thread? How are they comparing to a Fram Ultra?

The specific filters are Fram XG10060 and Purolator PBL12222.

yes it was done and its in picture here at bitog!it is well made ,is it better then microgreen? nha! but it is less expensive

Not sure on the new Boss, but the Purolator Synthetic filters have always been a couple $$ more than the Fram Ultra for my vehicles. Since there doesn't appear to be any performance gains with the Purolator and the Fram Ultra is top quality...that makes the Fram Ultra a better filter.

I'm itching to try a Boss myself. I've always disliked the Fram bypass poppet being non-metallic, though I doubt its a common failure point. But should it fail, its in an extremely high-risk location since any parts it shed would go straight into the engine oiling system with nothing but an open passage to stop them. Still have some lingering doubts about both Fram and Puro QA/QC, though, which is why I tend to still use the RP synthetic. I've never found a hint of a flaw in one of those, so its relatively cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'm itching to try a Boss myself. I've always disliked the Fram bypass poppet being non-metallic, though I doubt its a common failure point. But should it fail, its in an extremely high-risk location since any parts it shed would go straight into the engine oiling system with nothing but an open passage to stop them. Still have some lingering doubts about both Fram and Puro QA/QC, though, which is why I tend to still use the RP synthetic. I've never found a hint of a flaw in one of those, so its relatively cheap insurance.

The RP is actually made by Champ/Fram, and other than a couple outliers, nobody has lost an Ultra yet (in a screw-on filter). I agree on the RP media, though, it appears identical to the Amsoil & Donaldson filter media.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

The RP is actually made by Champ/Fram, and other than a couple outliers, nobody has lost an Ultra yet (in a screw-on filter). I agree on the RP media, though, it appears identical to the Amsoil & Donaldson filter media.

Correct... RP (and Amsoil EAO which is virtually identical) are made by Champion division of Fram Filtration, and are still made using Champion-style metal bypass valve and RP-specified media. Apparently Fram Filtration hasn't totally consolidated the Champion and Fram components (and I hope they don't).

I agree that the likelihood of the Fram-style bypass breaking is small to vanishing... but its one of those things where the risk is low but the consequence is so high that I don't like taking the risk at all.

The new Purolator lineup appears stout, but I think we've only seeing new filters cut open. Not many folks trust the brand and even fewer havent had enough time to run them to their full potential and cut them open.

Simply put, the Fram Ultra wins in just about every category. Its easy to find, decently priced and built like a tank.

I've always disliked the Fram bypass poppet being non-metallic, though I doubt its a common failure point. But should it fail, its in an extremely high-risk location since any parts it shed would go straight into the engine oiling system with nothing but an open passage to stop them.

If the bypass valve failed in any filter and came apart, the pieces will go down the center tube and into the engine.

I agree that the likelihood of the Fram-style bypass breaking is small to vanishing... but its one of those things where the risk is low but the consequence is so high that I don't like taking the risk at all.

Of all the years I've read this board, there has never been a reported failure of a Fram style bypass valve that I can recall.

The Purolator has "99% dirt removal power" which is vastly superior to ISO testing and actual micron ratings.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've always disliked the Fram bypass poppet being non-metallic, though I doubt its a common failure point. But should it fail, its in an extremely high-risk location since any parts it shed would go straight into the engine oiling system with nothing but an open passage to stop them.

If the bypass valve failed in any filter and came apart, the pieces will go down the center tube and into the engine.

Of all the years I've read this board, there has never been a reported failure of a Fram style bypass valve that I can recall.

I believe Motorking has said the valves have been tested in their lab to over 1 million bypass events without failure. That is probably more events than the life of most vehicles, not just 1 OCI.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Purolator has "99% dirt removal power" which is vastly superior to ISO testing and actual micron ratings.
crazy.gif

I emailed Purolator a while back after they announced their new filter campaign, and asked what the actual efficiency was with a micron rating on each of the 3 new filters and what test spec was used. Never heard back ... no surprise.

I e mailed them twice before changing filter brands from Purolater to Wix at the shop about 2 years ago but got no response either. It turns out the new owner (great guy) changed the filters from the Wix to a Chinese filter because he thinks they are better then the Wix..Who knows.

Quote:
someone got a reply back regarding the boss and mentioned it was 99% at 35 micron.

Perhaps that someone could post the specific context and information on the Boss. That said, based on multiple observations of information coming out the PRO (Puro Response Office) over time and posted here, 'I' would put very little faith in the reliability of information provided. And that goes for even the most basic information (warranty), let alone semi-technical information.

The Boss looks like a good filter, but I will stay away at least until they publish some specifics about the filtration efficiency using an accepted standard. Why pay more than for a Fram Ultra when the Boss is an unknown quantity? Unrelated, but I used to pick up Puro filters with AAP oil change specials, but today their "special" price is more than if I buy the same oil at Walmart and a Fram Ultra at everyday prices.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
This is a thread that can only bring about alot of hot air, guessing, and speculation.

What thread doesn't?

Good point lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back