Torquing Toyota Corolla wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manual says 76 ft lbs. My torque wrenchs usually give a plus/minus 4 lbs. Should I set the wrench at 76 or higher to account for a variable?

ZeeOSix said:
Set it to 76 ft-lbs as the manual spec says. [/quote

That's what was thinking too I was just thinking since the wrench can vary + or - 4 ft lbs maybe I should set it a little higher say 80 ft lbs.

Good grief! The std. deviation of 4lbs either way wont make a difference, the wheels won't come flying off. And if they did, there'd mercifully be one less leave it for dead at the side of the road Corolla...the world's most boring car. Take a laxative and go to bed early, your stools are entirely too hard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey
Good grief! The std. deviation of 4lbs either way wont make a difference, the wheels won't come flying off. And if they did, there'd mercifully be one less leave it for dead at the side of the road Corolla...the world's most boring car. Take a laxative and go to bed early, your stools are entirely too hard.

Thank you for your response I appreciate your opinion.

The important thing is they are all tight EVENLY.

Then you drive a hundred miles and recheck.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The same 12mm studs on GM cars get 100 ft lbs. I'd go for 80.

So you know the material used in both studs? The manufacturer and if they are heat treated or any other hardening/toughening process used?
From your comment You obviously know that the lengths are the same, head diameters the same and the knurling is the same.

Or are you just spewing verbal garbage with no actual knowledge?

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke

Or are you just spewing verbal garbage with no actual knowledge?

"Verbal garbage" is more along the lines of what you said.

His comment was appropriate and reasonable and yours, sir, was not.

Would you consider a statement saying two 5w30 oils are the same and can handle the same conditions, without knowing any facts about them to be appropriate and reasonable?
Don't forget the fact that any advice given on this issue of wheel studs and torque could result in a serious accident. Have you ever bothered to look into wheel stud failures? Statistics? Read any papers? Spoken to any one who is involved in this area professionally?

Quote:
Good grief! The std. deviation of 4lbs either way wont make a difference, the wheels won't come flying off. And if they did, there'd mercifully be one less leave it for dead at the side of the road Corolla...the world's most boring car. Take a laxative and go to bed early, your stools are entirely too hard.....

crackmeup2.gif
I'm glad I had no liquid in my mouth, most likely coffee at this time, as I surely would have ruined a keyboard.

Agree with those saying 4lbs either way no going to make a difference. I'd say set torque wrench to spec, tighten lugs, then relax and have a cool beverage of your choice.

There's usually a tolerance associated with the torque setting - although I can't seem to find one for the Corolla.

So is 4 ft-lbs a reasonable tolerance for a 76 torque spec? I think so.

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
Manual says 76 ft lbs. My torque wrenchs usually give a plus/minus 4 lbs. Should I set the wrench at 76 or higher to account for a variable?

Its probably 4% and if the tool is mid range its probably less than that. Set it to spec and forget it, just retighten after 100mi like has been posted in the thread.
Clean the wheel flange where it meets the hub and the hub itself if necessary. You can use a little never seize on the hub to prevent rust and corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Trav
.....Clean the wheel flange where it meets the hub and the hub itself if necessary....

As an aside, something done at Discount Tire with every tire rotation and balance as SOP. Remember many years back when I first saw them do it. Though rust not much of an issue here, one of those things along with torqueing each lug to spec, that impressed me with their attention to detail.

Nice! You wouldn't believe how many people have wheels re-balanced time and time again when the problem was corrosion on the back of the wheel or hub.
A good indicator of this issue is when wheels are rotated and wobble or shaking is noticed after the rotation.

Whatever happened to just tightening them by feel to what's appropriate? Under the shade tree no less.

The few cases I've heard about the wheel falling off the lug nuts were never tightened at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back