Nissan Rogue Tire Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Nissan Rogue SL AWD has about 10,000 miles on it now and the factory Dunlop Grandtrek SR30 tires are uniformly worn to 6.5/32. They are rotated per manufacturer spec at 5K intervals when the oil is changed. I find these tires to not have a very good ride but they are relatively quiet on the road. They have a treadwear 360 rating so I wasn't expecting longevity when we bought it. Our last 2012 Rogue went only 20,000 miles on its OE tires before they had to be replaced. I prefer Michelin tires, I have the Primacy MXV4 on the Odyssey and Premier A/S tires on the Sebring. What would a good tire recommendation be for the Rogue? The Michelin Premier LTX seems like a decent tire, really isn't much to choose from in my size, tire size is 225/60/18.

I found on Tire Rack, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 is on special for $107/tire. It says its for luxury sedans/coupes but that is the same tire that Acura uses as the OE tire on the RDX and MDX SUV. For $492 shipped to my door, would these be a good tire?

I've rarely gotten long service out of factory tires, but 10K and 20K miles? That's horrible.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
I found on Tire Rack, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 is on special for $107/tire. It says its for luxury sedans/coupes but that is the same tire that Acura uses as the OE tire on the RDX and MDX SUV. For $492 shipped to my door, would these be a good tire?

Great price for a great tire. Jump on it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've rarely gotten long service out of factory tires, but 10K and 20K miles? That's horrible.

The worst factory tires I had were on a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. They were treadwear 160 and lasted about 9000 miles. My Honda is at 20,000 miles with 8/32 left on the factory tires. The Nissan is my Wife's car with a lot of stop and go in town driving which can shorten the life of any tire dramatically. I'm also the kind that normally replaces my tires at 5/32.

There are lots of user reviews and so-called unbiased testing on the TireRack.com of tires on your mind. Keep fuel economy in mind. Some cheap tires may cost more in the long run if they have higher rolling resistance.

We are going to go with the Primacy MXM4 tires, but my question is, how long can I store those? Since the Dunlops still have life left, I don't plan on having those removed until probably winter. If I buy them now to take advantage of the sale price, is storing those in my basement going to be an issue for 8 months?

I recommend the highest wear rating continental. I've never been disappointed with continentals. They're also much cheaper and wear at least as long as Michelin.

My Rogue tires are pretty much shot at 15K miles. But thercar had a not-so-good alignment from the factory with excessive toe which I had adjusted at 7000 miles - it still exhibits excessive cross camber and very resistand and heavy steerung. I think the high camber in the rear along with zero camber to positive in the frot, along with a very high caster angle and soft front antirollbar add to excessive front tire scrubbing.

I will agree through extensive personal experience that factory tires if they are not "option upgraded" have silly short tread-life. The current exception are the Yoko's (sport version Geo's I think) on my wife's BASE Forester that are wearing like iron 45K and barely 1/3 used up. UI must see if they are wear rated - Id bet they are. They handle VERY well but they may be a bit hard riding. ( Either that or the base Subie has the stiffest suspension ive enver had the displeasure of riding in - Terrible and inexcusable.) I would look for these specific yokos, if they could be bought for a good price; Snappy handlers they be!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI

Great price for a great tire. Jump on it.

I wouldn't. If this is an OE version of the Primacy MXV4, which means it was an OE tire for a few vehicle makes, you can count on fast treadwear and poor wet traction in exchange for improved rolling resistance.

I would get the Premier LTX.

The MXV4 is always cheap here but I'll be getting the Premiers when my tires wear out. I think my 2016 Outback has the same Dunlop's you have. They have 12k on them now and they will be done at 20k, not a good tire. My alignment is good.

We are going to go with the Primacy MXM4 tires, but my question is, how long can I store those? Since the Dunlops still have life left, I don't plan on having those removed until probably winter. If I buy them now to take advantage of the sale price, is storing those in my basement going to be an issue for 8 months?

Why not wait until black Friday or the internet equivalent. If you are going to not use them until then, you probably will get a better price then.

BTW, sometimes new tires throw off a smell that you would not want in your house.

Walk by the tire rack in a Pep-Boys and take a wiff. You would not want that smell in your house.

Last edited:
From what I understand, the MXM4 is more of a performance/summer-like all season tire geared toward handling and grip. The MXV4 is more a Grand Touring tire; geared toward ride/comfort/noise. I believe that the Premier line is supposed to eventually phase the MXV4 and MXM4 out. I've seen the MXV4 get some very low mileage (30K) on OE tires on Honda Odysseys, and then get some high mileage on other OE fitments from lexus/toyota.

In the 225/60R18 size, the Continental PureContact is available, and is what I'd choose if I had the choice. It's a newer tire than the MXM4. Not the quietest or best at fuel economy, but does get some better handling/wet grip marks then say a comparable Pirelli P7 AS (which isn't made in the 225/60R18 size) or Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Premier. I believe the Premier does have some better wet grip remarks than the PureContact. From what I understand, in a recent consumer magazine, the Purecontact was rated first, the Pirelli P7 AS second, the Michelin Premier third, very close when you look at the individual category ratings.

To answer your question about storage, as long as it is somewhat climate controlled and not in sunlight you'll be fine. Though in 8 months, there could be better and newer technology than what the MXM4 is. Good price for the tire however, but not much more for what I'd consider to be better available tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back