2005 Dodge LX 5.7L Formula Shell 5W20, 9,114mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went a little over my normal inverval, and have wanted to try this for a long time, so why not.
Car has a K&N conical Air filter, they say it appears to be working.

Hope I'm posting this correctly...

OIL Formula Shell 5w20
MILES IN USE 9,114
MILES 168k +
SAMPLE TAKEN 4/1/16

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 9
COPPER 6
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 71
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 55
SILICON 4
SODIUM 21
CALCIUM 2195
MAGNESIUM 12
PHOSPHORUS 752
ZINC 920
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 370
SUS VIS 210ºF 56
cSt @ 212ºF 9.07

[img:center]https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzw3vwhb8lnropo/Oil analysis.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Who did the lab test?

For ~9,000 miles I would question the iron and silicon.

They both seem unnaturally low.

If they are indeed those numbers, great!

But, I have never seen numbers that low at that many miles, and a K&N being high flow air filtration etc...

I would say these results are miracle territory with plane-Jane Formula Shell.

And this is a Michigan Winter OCI??? Wow.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had sent a note that the vehicle had a K&N conical filter and I was curious how well it was working (or not). I don't have much reason to drive in extremely dusty areas, and I don't service the filter very often (maybe once a year at the most) for whatever that's worth.

There really was a ton of idling involved as they tell me fuel content points towards.
Several long traffic jams were encountered. Although all that makes alot of sense, I admit to not knowing enough about this stuff to throw any additional info of my own in there.

It's conventional Formula Shell from Menards, about $2.50 a quart on sale.
The filter is a Motorcraft FL1A.

I'm going to try to make the link to the Blackstone report show up again....
No luck the first time, lets try this:

Blackstone%20Oil%20Analysis_zpsl1we1cff.jpg

Last edited:
My next sample I would send it to someone else, and don't list any details on the oil, mileage, or vehicle.

I would even request a re-test of Blackstone.

I am hoping these places are actually running these tests and not just pulling a file on a similar vehicle / miles with a specific oil.

Sorry, but this sample really makes me wonder. Your Winters are the same as ours in Montreal. This oil went through the wringer and back and demonstrates pretty much no wear.

And the silicon is pretty close to impossible with that filter and those miles.

I have the Synthetic version of this oil in my sump right now (Canadian Tire house brand). If this is the case, I am really glad I stocked up on the stuff on a Boxing Day for IIRC $18.99 per 5L jug!

This seems to be a very suspicious UOA where the mileage over 9000 mi (avg 5800 mi)but the Iron is dropped to half and copper is dropped to one-sixth of average. I would run the same Shell formula OCI for 9K mi and retest to see if the results are the same as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back